Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Abol98 View Post
    *jong Q alert*

Mapping out potential foray from Rossland to Revy, noticed there's a ferry leg at Shelter Bay. Do the inland ferries run regardless of conditions or do we need to check on the status if there's weather? Anything else we want to know about driving in the area? (4WD with snow tires. Check.) Still not sure if doing a triangle from Kelowna or an out-and-back from Spokane, but most likely the former. TBD. Took the Rogers Pass route to Revy last year and appreciated the beta. Thanks y'all.
    I suppose it is possible for high winds to shut down the Galena ferry, but I can’t recall it happening. Ice is not an issue on the reservoir.

Quote Originally Posted by Abol98 View Post
    *jong Q alert*

Mapping out potential foray from Rossland to Revy, noticed there's a ferry leg at Shelter Bay. Do the inland ferries run regardless of conditions or do we need to check on the status if there's weather? Anything else we want to know about driving in the area? (4WD with snow tires. Check.) Still not sure if doing a triangle from Kelowna or an out-and-back from Spokane, but most likely the former. TBD. Took the Rogers Pass route to Revy last year and appreciated the beta. Thanks y'all.
    You should check out the status of the ferry crossing, they have some restrictions. Check the national whatever website (drive.bc(?)) for road conditions/closures before traveling. If you're driving from Rossland to Reve, stop at one of the hot springs located just before the ferry crossing.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...ferry-schedule You'll be leaving Galena Bay to Shelter Bay on the way to Revy. I've never had a problem but I don't drive it often. If you have time could hit Whitewater as well after you leave Red. DriveBc website/bchighways app usually good to have regardless as it will tell you major events/closures on those routes.

Thanks all. We were going to do Banff again but I started seeing Revy trees in my sleep. Plans might still change but I really want to visit this part of the country.

Castle is opening for a sneak peek this weekend. Beginner chair and man made snow on two runs. The webcams are not telling a very good story for anything else though. Definitely need some snow.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Ice is not an issue on the reservoir.
    Have been on the ferry as it followed the channel it had broken through the ice on Arrow Lake.

It is pretty reliable - at least an order of magnitude less likely to be closed than the Trans Canada! (Actually the most likely problem in winter is if the Trans-Canada has a prolonged closure the ferry can get very busy, especially southbound. There have been 8 hour waits a couple of times).

A little more terrain opened at Fernie today. Upper Curry, and more of Lizard (Cascade, Dancer and Bow). It felt a little thin with some vegetation poking through but the the snow was pretty soft and was skiing well (I didn’t hit any rocks). Curry requires taking Trespass Trail back to Whitepass or down the summer road to the base.

I’d post some photos from yesterday but no one would believe it’s actually Fernie.

Kimberley opening delayed to Dec 15. The blocking high is supposed to start breaking down after this weekend, Southeast B.C. needs the taps to turn on!

Marmot was ok considering the 0.5m base. Skied 5 down Cowleys way and another 5 down the eagle ridge lift line and hit nothing. A few random runs down other stuff I dont know the names of.

Very impressed with Marmot, it's easily twice as big as I imagined it and with some snow (that does happen right?) I'll bet its fucking awesome.

Parking lot configuration was bizarre. You have to ski from your vehicle basically... would be challenging for some familial situations. All in all very happy I went and cant wait to use up my other 2 free days there with another metre of snow on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Marmot was ok considering the 0.5m base. Skied 5 down Cowleys way and another 5 down the eagle ridge lift line and hit nothing. A few random runs down other stuff I dont know the names of.

Very impressed with Marmot, it's easily twice as big as I imagined it and with some snow (that does happen right?) I'll bet its fucking awesome.

Parking lot configuration was bizarre. You have to ski from your vehicle basically... would be challenging for some familial situations. All in all very happy I went and cant wait to use up my other 2 free days there with another metre of snow on the ground.
    Gary, I'm not sure that it would be worth the extra driving but Sun Peaks now has 91 of 137 runs open and well, the few rocks that we have showing are nicely spaced. My new Kore 93's come out, next storm.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    As In still exposed and available to fall into.
    Correct

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Apparently they're going to try and open Taynton on Saturday?
    https://www.panoramaresort.com/panor...y-snow-report/

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post

Very impressed with Marmot, it's easily twice as big as I imagined it and with some snow (that does happen right?)
    Next time announce your presence! It is really fun when the expert terrain opens. Doesnt snow very much but the wind is our friend and creates some great skiing. Saturdays are busy but snow days have a very " after you" sort of mentality.
    See you in February!!! ( when it usually snows)

Quote Originally Posted by tintin5 View Post

Typical marketing department running the show from a desk, while operations struggles to make it happen.

skied LL today. Huge inversion -25 base. felt like -10 up top?

everything over 7500 ft skiing very well I think. Bluebird, and no one around.

Kicking Horse opened today.

Reports?

Sounds like you have to download from Catamount.

#hoofhearted
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

2018/2019 CANADIAN ROCKIES THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by tintin5 View Post

Yep. Skied opening day to public today. Short day, due to early cold, I wimped out. Got up crack of 1PM. They had advertised Stumbocks, 1,000 Peaks and Schober’s Open. Which doesn’t imply groomed. They weren’t. Was gonna head down Stumbocks, but didn’t want all that chop and then a long ski out, so dived into Sidewinder Glades and back to View, on to Champagne chair and back to summit. Roy’s was rumoured to be OK, but did easy way down and cruised home to hot tub and beer.

Hard pack is crusty, some grip on sides of runs. Doing a 3 day camp, so wanted a few turns, but saving back for the work ahead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dufferdan; 12-07-2018 at 07:58 PM.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Typical marketing department running the show from a desk, while operations struggles to make it happen.

Heli Hi, Starfire and White Room which dump into lower Taynton were open today. Apparently sketchy at the base of Heli Hi from what patrollers told me.

Early season for sure, but I think better than a lot of other resorts in Rockies at this time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Any tips for a trip to Revy from Tahoe area early spring?

Mapped it out and I'm torn between trying to road trip east to Alta and then north via JH or just blowing cash and flying through Vancouver. Any feelings on that shuttle flight from Vancouver to Revy?

Thanks

Anyone want to ski tour something tomorrow(saturday), might go for mt field u should come along and get fresh tracks or fairview or somethin. send me a pm

Quote Originally Posted by LKM_skis View Post

Mapped it out and I'm torn between trying to road trip east to Alta and then north via JH or just blowing cash and flying through Vancouver. Any feelings on that shuttle flight from Vancouver to Revy?

Thanks
    Last season over half the flights had to divert because of weather (the year before wasn't as bad). Then some of the diverted passengers got delayed even more by avalanche control closures on the Trans-Canada Highway.

Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post
    Last season over half the flights had to divert because of weather (the year before wasn't as bad). Then some of the diverted passengers got delayed even more by avalanche control closures on the Trans-Canada Highway.
    That's what I was afraid of, do you recall what time of year or where I could check? Road trip is sounding better as I'd be coming up from Montana and could head back south if needed.

Sent from my PH-1 using TGR Forums mobile app

Revy is generally pretty socked in from December to March.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Thanks
    Be Flexible if possible. Revy can get epic dumps late season or it can be wet. Rockies usually will be firing if Rain line creeps past mid mountain in Revy. Comsider flying into Calgary and renting a car. Just my 2 pennies...

Thanks
    reve spring = march

rockies spring = april/may

fly into YYC and reve is 5-7 hours drive and you can also ski sunshine, lake louise, kicking horse. Also the steep skiing/touring in rockies is just starting in april.

as Jetski said, reve CAN be amaizing in march, and it can be a great way to test your gore-tex.