Fall Biking in Duluth/Copper Harbor

Going to head East this fall off season instead of South or West.

Tell me all the things. Smoked fish, funnest trails, car camping, bars, bike shops, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by regct; 09-13-2018 at 12:11 PM.

I don't have anything specific to offer because I haven't been back to ride, but I fucking love Duluth. It is super awesome. Have fun. Oh, and in looking at Trailforks, it makes certain areas look easy (like the Piedmont trails), but video of those trails makes them look fun as hell and not that easy. I guess what I am saying is they might be a bunch of sandbaggers up there. I know they are with their whitewater.

For smoked fish: https://northernwaterssmokehaus.com/ is the "gourmet" option in Duluth.

North of Duluth in Knife River is the classic Kendall's.

http://www.startribune.com/a-north-s...ish/448557973/

One other thing, and maybe you already know this, but watch the weather. It is my understanding that they close many of the trails after any significant rain, sometimes for a couple days.

reg. --

a bunch of stuff...

Duluth is considered a mecca for Almost-urban trail riding --
    You can spend a week there and not see it all ;

Resources : Spirit mountain; Continental ski and bike; Ski hut

Copper harbor : The trails of the upper midwest. around a 900foot hill ( /(old) mountain ) on the Keewenaw peninsula...

If you head for Copper harbor, stop and talk to Brad at Hobby Wheel on hwy2 in Ironwood :
    Brad has helped grow mountain biking on the Upper peninsula for More than twenty years...

( If it fits your schedule , run out to Copper Peak north of Ironwood :
    they have put it a network of trails, and Copper Peak is north America's only ski flying platform ( 300meters ) ;
    the end of this month the view from the Top will be Nice ( but different from Lone Peak ) )

IF you have your passport, what I would do is the circle tour of Lake Superior...
    The North Shore from Duluth will give you the taste -- the forest drive across the Upper peninsula is the boring part,
    though Pictured Rocks National Park at Munising will be pretty amazing in about Ten days ( Sept15 - Oct 10-ish )

I will work on having more specifics If I am in the right direction...

wishing you a Safe trip... tj
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "

If you are going to go through Marquette, pm yooper. Great dude who would have spot on info and maybe time for a ride.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Rad. Thanks guys. I grew up around Grand Rapids, and lived in Traverse City for a while too. So I’m going to go down that way also and see some of the OLD stomping grounds and friends. As such, I’ve spent some time in Munising and Marquette, but I’ve never done any biking there. Mostly just drinking. Never been to Duluth.

Really might be more stoked than I’ve ever been for a bike trip. Copy Yooper.

I’ve got a solid 3 weeks to screw around. Prob hit some stuff on the way out of MT then make a beeline for Duluth around the first week in October.

Never been to Copper Harbor but I have family in Northern Wisconsin. Don’t know for sure, but wouldn’t be surprised if some or all of the Copper Harbor trail network closes for hunting season. Look into that before traveling all the way up there.

^ thanks for the reminder!

Copper harbor is fine through the early part of hunting season as long as it's pre nov. 15. Keep in mind the leaves fall early here and shit can be slippery, but generally speaking you're good to ride as long as there isn't snow. The harbor is a fantastic place to ride with a lot of trail that's all very good. Lots of "routes" to put together. Do a Keweenaw Point Trail for a longer day and you won't be upset.

Marquette is excellent as well. Perhaps more trail all together but a little more spread out. But a bigger town, too. You could easily ride a week in marquette and the harbor alone.

+2 for Russ Kendall's smoke house, that place just about burned to the ground a few years back, but still some of the best smoked whitefish I've ever had. Wrapped in newspaper still. Get some rye crackers and you're all set for your post ride snacks.

Copper Harbor trails are great from what I've heard, haven't ridden them yet, but I have ridden the CAMBA trails around Cable/Hayward, Wisconsin. Great trails packed into a fairly small area. Go check 'em out if you get a chance.

Don't forget the tour of the Soudan Mine and MINOs neutrino detector if you are into that kind of thing.

Make sure you go into the bars in Hurley and raise hell, maybe not as much as back in the hardrock mining days, but that used to be a rough town.

Outstanding advice!

Wet roots and leaves are what I’m looking for!

In Oct. you will have the woods around Duluth to yourselves as the 612 tourons have all gone back to their suburbs. If you would like a scotch and beta let me know, I live here.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.