Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Fischer Ranger Free 130 - anyone ski em yet?

So..... anyone?

Need new boots, these seem pretty nice. Walk mechanism looks interesting. Chatted with KC Deane and he is super stoked on them.

I have skinny ankles (one sort of fatter one with a plate in it) and narrow feet. Coming from the green cochise 120's from a few years ago. My calfs were swimming in them and they needed work to fit.

https://www.wildsnow.com/25041/fisch...ee-130-review/
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Not a ton of reviews out there yet, but blister had a pretty good one.

http://blistergearreview.com/ski-boo...anger-free-130

Fischer Ranger Free 130 - anyone ski em yet?

No review, but I have a pair of these brand new for sale. I received them as a warranty replacement but already got another boot in the meantime.

Size 28.5 $400 plus ship. PM if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by SWskier; 10-11-2018 at 12:13 PM.

They ski really well (two days of lift served), seem to tour fine (I only took one lap uphill), hoping the cable walk mode is trouble free.

They have a generous average fit, though, not exactly narrow in the ankle - for that, nothing beats the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    Not a ton of reviews out there yet, but blister had a pretty good one.

http://blistergearreview.com/ski-boo...anger-free-130
    Yep read that one, sounds promising.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    They ski really well (two days of lift served), seem to tour fine (I only took one lap uphill), hoping the cable walk mode is trouble free.

They have a generous average fit, though, not exactly narrow in the ankle - for that, nothing beats the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD.
    Is that more of a tour specific boot? Only want one boot to do it all and still get a decent amount of resort days in. Lots of sled skiing as well.

Also... anyone know if the latest editions of the cochise have updated the walk mechanism? Always had issues with mine icing up and had to pee on it numerous times to de-ice it.

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Also... anyone know if the latest editions of the cochise have updated the walk mechanism? Always had issues with mine icing up and had to pee on it numerous times to de-ice it.
    It's slightly different (comparing my friends new boots to my old ones). But they suck at touring compared to something like the Hawx XTD.

IMO, no flat-soled boot is "tour specific"

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Is that more of a tour specific boot? Only want one boot to do it all and still get a decent amount of resort days in. Lots of sled skiing as well.
    No, the Hawx Ultra XTD is their "crossover" model - they have the Backland series for "tour specific." If you do a lot of sled skiing you might want to look at models that have replaceable soles, though. The Hawk Ultra XTD and new Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro, for instance, do not. This would include the Fischer Ranger Free 130, Head KORE 1G, Lange XT Free 130/140 and Tecnica Cochise 120/130. The Cochise walk mode was re-designed for the 16-17 season, not sure what year yours are.

Yes, replaceable soles are a must. Sleds destroy them. Hoping to try on the rangers next week, will report back in.

No, the Hawx Ultra XTD is their "crossover" model - they have the Backland series for "tour specific." If you do a lot of sled skiing you might want to look at models that have replaceable soles, though. The Hawk Ultra XTD and new Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro, for instance, do not.
    Well, the soles of the Hawx Ultra XTD are replaceable. They're just not replaceable by removing screws. If you wear through the sole of a Ultra XTD or Backland, the old sole needs to be taken off and a new sole glued on. They are a bit more of a hassle, but they definitely are replaceable.

Ahh, forgot that onenerdykid watches these boot threads like a hawx from Austria. Yes, Atomic did send us a list of qualified people to replace their touring boot soles, and one happens to be a few blocks from work!

Hey Hefe... Stopped in and saw Rick. He has the 120's comming in for some reason. Same last, as the 130's and said he could order the 130's
    Looks like a solid boot!

^^^ yep, heading there next week to try them out. Thanks!

Might also consider the Lange Free XT LV. Comes in 130 and 140 this season.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Skied a few days in resort in mixed and firm conditions, as well as a couple short tours on it. Doesn’t tour near as well as a Hawx XTD, but skies a whole lot better. It wouldn’t be my first choice for any full day tours, but it’s also lighter than anything which skis as well as it.

Another good option which fits between the XTD and Lange Freetour IMO.

^^^ thanks. I have never had issues on multi day tours on my cochises so I won't know better.

I am thinking about this boot. I previously had the Cochise Zero G Pro guides and they were not enough boot on the downhill. I am currently in the Cochise 130 orange heavier one which skis well and tours ok but I couldn't believe the weight difference when i picked up this boot. I read the few reviews online and they said it was a soft flexing boot which is why I gave up on the first ten Zero Gs. I have a wide forefoot so nothing under 99mm for me. I just worry about spending $800 on boots that will be too soft. I think I will pull my first Gen Zero Gs and take them to the shop and do a head to head flex comparison though it is hard to replicate the forces leveraged on skis. Are there any other boots similarly light and stiffer that I should be looking at ? I have to stretch every boot I guy so the plastic will have to be able to be punched.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

I found them narrow in the toe and fat in the ankle. FWIW Tecnica Cochises and Nordica Speedmachine's fit me perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski to Be View Post
    I am thinking about this boot. I previously had the Cochise Zero G Pro guides and they were not enough boot on the downhill. I am currently in the Cochise 130 orange heavier one which skis well and tours ok but I couldn't believe the weight difference when i picked up this boot. I read the few reviews online and they said it was a soft flexing boot which is why I gave up on the first ten Zero Gs. I have a wide forefoot so nothing under 99mm for me. I just worry about spending $800 on boots that will be too soft. I think I will pull my first Gen Zero Gs and take them to the shop and do a head to head flex comparison though it is hard to replicate the forces leveraged on skis. Are there any other boots similarly light and stiffer that I should be looking at ? I have to stretch every boot I guy so the plastic will have to be able to be punched.
    The new Zero G's supposedly ski better than the old ones. Other light and stiff options: Maestrale RS, Hawk 130 XTD, Hoji.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad_games View Post
    The new Zero G's supposedly ski better than the old ones. Other light and stiff options: Maestrale RS, Hawk 130 XTD, Hoji.
    Thanks for the tips. I ended up going with the Hawks 130. It fit slightly better and was stiffer at the top of the flex than the Ranger plus I liked the heat molded shell which made a giant difference for me. They feel as comfortable as street shoes after the molding which I am kind of suspicious of till I ski them

Sent from my VS996 using TGR Forums mobile app
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Tried on the 120s today. Really nice boot. Really light and felt like regular high performance ski boot. Fit my chicken legs in upper boot relly well. Wont need additional work to fit.

Walk mode lever is sweet and rom excellent. Stoked.

of the new crop of light crossover boots (Zero G, Ranger Free, XTD, Maestrale, etc.) the Fischer fits me the best by far. Although I've heard that several times about the XTD's fitting like a glove after heat molding. Just don't really like the flex feel on the Atomics.

These boots look exactly like the original Dynafit Titan.