Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Driving a jeep around a road racing course can be fun but it'd get old a quickly.

Jump in a sports car and it becomes more fun and entertaining.

Drive a race car and it is a blast.

Sent from my SM-N950U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    Most people (the overwhelmingly vast majority) can't make carving look cool.

I'm sure some people who post here can make some pretty nice carves, but not like in the vid.

You can't do it, so nobody else can either?

Hmmm.....

I carve GS rather well for a non-elite ex racer. Very, very rarely do I see non-racers carving well. Some racers and instructors carve very well. Most "expert" skiers I ski with don't really do a whole lot of carving.

I'm good enough to know that it's VERY hard to carve like they do in the Caston video, but I certainly like to try.

I started having way more fun when I stopped caring about "cool".

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I'm sure a lot of folks here can dice up shallow cord and make it look decent. I'm betting 99.9% of us can't objectively look at ex world cup racers and definitively say why their skiing is technically better than ours. I can't tell you why either but technically proficient skiing, especially groomdogging, has never given me a boner.

Edit: It is fun ripping groomers, just not boner inducing fun.
    Vail used to charge $1000 per day for me to explain to recreational skiers why they aren't cranking nice arcs on groomers. It's been a couple years since I had kids and quit that hustle, but I'm sure I still could.

Ex World Cup racers ski better than me for a whole slew of reasons too long to list here, but I can crank edge to edge turns on groomers all day long, and I'm sure there are people here who do it better than I can. It's fun. It's easier if you're not skiing on a big floppy donkey dick and your skis have a good tune.

Getting up there at 9:00 AM and skiing south-facing refrozen death mank is what really separates the men from the boys. Over exposure and under the lift for those with the true gonadular fortitude.

That's it. I'm throwing a tune on my Volkl 6 stars. You guys can thank me when it dumps and dumps and dumps this year.

You certainly have a point. But, like most here, I'm special and above average.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

I'm sure some people who post here can make some pretty nice carves, but not like in the vid.
    That is a big problem. Glad we have you to investigate.

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app

I certainly can't carve a turn like the world cup racers but I do have an old pair of slalom race skis that I picked up on Craigslist for $100 over a decade ago. When the edges are sharp and the corduroy is especially carveable, there's no doubt that they are the most fun ski that I own.

I can see why a ski company would want to market that. How many regular everyday skiers ski powder or difficult off piste vs intermediate groomers. For the average resort skier anything that makes skiing the groomers more fun is a win.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    I certainly can't carve a turn like the world cup racers but I do have an old pair of slalom race skis that I picked up on Craigslist for $100 over a decade ago. When the edges are sharp and the corduroy is especially carveable, there's no doubt that they are the most fun ski that I own.

I can see why a ski company would want to market that. How many regular everyday skiers ski powder or difficult off piste vs intermediate groomers. For the average resort skier anything that makes skiing the groomers more fun is a win.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Do you remember 2004 when the Volkl 6-Star was the hot ski to own for 10 day a year skiers? People couldn't buy a carve, literally, they were still skidding all over the place and bending them in the bumps.

The majority of the skiing public is honestly better off hacking around on a maneuverable 100mm midfat for most conditions. The average person is not out at 9am carving perfect corduroy on a midweek day, they're dealing with skied off crap in the middle of the afternoon on a crowded weekend.

For most people, perfect carving is just like perfect powder skiing - a marketing fantasy.

I’m the proud owner of some old Stockli Laser SC (Super Carve). 63 underfoot, 170 cm with a race plate. Unreal speeds attainable.

I demo'd a pair of Atomic G9's in 183 last year at Sun Valley. They were crazy fun on groomers but they really wanted to go fast; all the time. It was basically impossible to ski them below 45 MPH as at the end of every turn they just accelerated like a bat out of hell. Unbelievable grip, skiing on rails.

As expected, they sucked off piste in the bowls.
    You Will Respect My Authoritah!

I keep a pair of old GS race skis for hard pack days - when it hasn't snowed in weeks, or early season. Cheap and readily available every fall during ski swap time. When they get too beat up for me to sharpen sufficiently, toss them out and get another cheap pair.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

A marketing video aimed at selling short radius skis to the recreational blue square family skiers has gotten you all in a dick measuring contest based on your ability to carve long radius fat skis...

I love being on edge...feeling that grip, the ski bending, eluding gravity for a few split seconds in all kinds of snow provides that itch to do it all again. Over the last few years, I have skied less and less on my WC slaloms and have found that my 112mm underfoot Deathwish (with triple camber) will bite on almost anything, albeit I'm not doing slalom turns, but on a normal daily basis they are so damn fun. Would I rather ski an untouched couloir for 4K vert? Yup...but everything else is training if that day ever comes.

Name:  CARVE.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  439.3 KB
    Last edited by skier666; 09-18-2018 at 02:47 PM.

Didn't anyone else just think evo was having a laugh taking the piss out of the sakana promo, which in itself was taking the piss by skiing something fun without using the "right" ski?

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    A marketing video aimed at selling short radius skis to the recreational blue square family skiers has gotten you all in a dick measuring contest based on your ability to carve long radius fat skis...
    OP nailed it, it's god-tier trolling, everything about this video is purposely designed to infuriate the competent, no matter their style. Again, I could swear they're skiing sarcastically....

I wanna get on the aforementioned burner-ski cycle with an old-school carver. Haven't ridden one in years. But looking at Seattle's craigslist you'd think the last time anyone made a sub-90mm waist ski was like 1993. Far cry from growing up in NE, where every ski was just different grades of carver, and the range went from "beginner" to "in order to enjoy this ski you must listen to nu-metal, the most powerful kind of music..."

I'd ski the Sakana. Perfect for spring days, but also days when you're with slower people and are making a zillion creative turns to milk the terrain and make up for it. Plus it's so different from anything I've ever skied that I might even stand to learn something from it. Who knows.

One thing I learned from the Caston series and the Line video posted above is I need a much better mustache to carve competently.

I ran slalom gates on my renegades last year for an afternoon, the race team had them set up for training. I was fast, it was fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Since I am new here, should we do our measuring in Mondopoint?
    Last edited by Want A Storm Hood; 09-18-2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: end of sentence punctuation must not be omitted.

Nu-metal? Is that like douche rock?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    ogdens
    Wow! I knew Utah had the greatest snow on earth because I have a book on it, but I had no idea they had their own unit system too.

My bad humor aside. Here’s my 2 cents.

First penny, carve or don’t carve. I hope we all come down the mountain the way that makes us happy. I won’t criticize or critique anyone but my self because I need all the attention I can get from my inner critic.

Second penny, I don’t appreciate the video with the folks using the “Slow” sign like a gate. Obviously the hill was clear for their filming and they were not directly causing harm to anyone. However, as a dad who frequently had to play fullback for my little learners (especially their first year) when the trails merged near the lift lines, I wished more people would take the slow signs more seriously.

To be clear, I would never worry about my kids sharing a trail with the athletes in the video because I am confident they are skiing within their limits, but the gaper that may have seen, or will see, the video and like to pretend they are world cup material while on a green run aptly named something like “Daisy,” are a major concern to me.

I watched my boy (6 at the time) get hit by a young rider who flew by two slow signs and make blind turn into him. My boy got knocked over and his skis run over, but he was otherwise OK. I will never forget the rage and I am glad I check myself before escalating the situation further than words.

Now my my kids are better skiers. They are more aware, and no longer relying on lots of traverses, they use less of the trail. If anything the tables have turned, and I have to get on them about obeying the slow signs.

Ranting dad moment over. Roast my newby self away forum if you wish for the hijack.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Nu-metal? Is that like douche rock?
    yeah it's like korn and limp bizkit and all the other stuff that's given me a hair-trigger to mute 90s-2000s era ski edits

Quote Originally Posted by Want A Storm Hood View Post
    Wow! I knew Utah had the greatest snow on earth because I have a book on it, but I had no idea they had their own unit system too.

My bad humor aside. Here’s my 2 cents.

First penny, carve or don’t carve. I hope we all come down the mountain the way that makes us happy. I won’t criticize or critique anyone but my self because I need all the attention I can get from my inner critic.

Second penny, I don’t appreciate the video with the folks using the “Slow” sign like a gate. Obviously the hill was clear for their filming and they were not directly causing harm to anyone. However, as a dad who frequently had to play fullback for my little learners (especially their first year) when the trails merged near the lift lines, I wished more people would take the slow signs more seriously.

To be clear, I would never worry about my kids sharing a trail with the athletes in the video because I am confident they are skiing within their limits, but the gaper that may have seen, or will see, the video and like to pretend they are world cup material while on a green run aptly named something like “Daisy,” are a major concern to me.

I watched my boy (6 at the time) get hit by a young rider who flew by two slow signs and make blind turn into him. My boy got knocked over and his skis run over, but he was otherwise OK. I will never forget the rage and I am glad I check myself before escalating the situation further than words.

Now my my kids are better skiers. They are more aware, and no longer relying on lots of traverses, they use less of the trail. If anything the tables have turned, and I have to get on them about obeying the slow signs.

Ranting dad moment over. Roast my newby self away forum if you wish for the hijack.
    Lighten up Francis

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That Don't Make No Sense

Will do. Light as snow now.

BUMP! Who has their carving skis ready to go for the WROD?