Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Chamonix "disaster"

This has been covered in the Snow for the Euros thread, but, hey, a lot of Americans travel there, so I'll make a thread. Nasty.

https://www.chamonet.com/news/fire-i...entiere-719965

Great. My first euro trip this winter and i planned it for Chamonix. sorry to jinx it folks.

Happy its a big (understatement) area, just hope that the uphill capacity isnt affected too much by this.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Great. My first euro trip this winter and i planned it for Chamonix. sorry to jinx it folks.

Happy its a big (understatement) area, just hope that the uphill capacity isnt affected too much by this.
    But it is. You could go to Cham for a week and never ride the tram or the Midi but it would be limiting. Unless the Midi opens, start researching plan B. The Grand Montets is (debatable?) is the most popular advance "ski area" in the Valley. The base area is a notable bottle neck. With the tram closed, the base will be a cluster fuck and there will be no easy access to the glacier or the Argentierre Basin which is a touring and mountaineering mecca. The Midi is the Midi and that probably does not need explaining.

Others are way more knowledgeable that me. It probably depends on when you are going and what your expectations are.

The GM being out is a much bigger deal for me; I'm scared of the Midi going solo and I don't want to drop $ every day for a guide. I guess if one has a group of buddies, the Midi would be OK.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    It probably depends on when you are going and what your expectations are.
    Oh no problem there, we're just going during the start of the Italian's winter break from school haha. Eh, im going with 4 people from my GFs family so i knew there was a good chance id get screwed out of good skiing someway. Whatever, i get 2 free days on the mountain collective and cheap flights (her parents are delta pilots), so i can't really complain.

Makes day 1 of the Haute Route a little tougher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    The GM being out is a much bigger deal for me; I'm scared of the Midi going solo and I don't want to drop $ every day for a guide. I guess if one has a group of buddies, the Midi would be OK.
    You can always go up the Courmayeur side . Takes an extra 45 minutes but when do you ever just walk on the Midi anyhow during the ski season. Anyhow it sucks. I imagine the lines at the other areas will be worse.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Makes day 1 of the Haute Route a little tougher.
    Ach, 300m tougher from the top of the Bochard. No big deal.

Going over the Col des Rachasses, across the front face from the Bochard, is the usual way of accessing the Argie basin in December, before the top bin opens. It is a huge pity that the December Norm is going to be the standard approach for the whole winter, though!
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

Quote Originally Posted by peds View Post

Going over the Col des Rachasses, across the front face from the Bochard, is the usual way of accessing the Argie basin in December, before the top bin opens. It is a huge pity that the December Norm is going to be the standard approach for the whole winter, though!
    How quickly does it track these days if the top is not open? Last time I skinned up from the Bochard (2009) I had 50cm of decent powder down Point de Vue a week after it had last snowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
    How quickly does it track these days if the top is not open? Last time I skinned up from the Bochard (2009) I had 50cm of decent powder down Point de Vue a week after it had last snowed.
    Much busier than that these days, on your average December powder day there might be 20-30 tracks on the other side come closing time. Some of those will be laps, too.

Quote Originally Posted by peds View Post
    I didn't look it up, but from memory I thought it'd would have been more... yeah not too bad then.

Hope this doesn't mess with your season too much.

First World Problems!!!

If access is still somewhat limited, how many people would change their first choice destination to a different resort due to this? It might reduce the number of locals there so maybe the lines will be shorter?? I don't know but I guess everyone needs a plan b in case they do decide after going there it's not worth the effort and someplace else is better.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Might be a first world problem but it always sucks to see something iconic like that burn down. Hopefully they can get it back up and running sooner than later.

Hope this doesn't mess with your season too much.
    My plans for this season are set in stone, carved into the very fibers of my being.

Would you rather be the first group to ride up in the NEW rebuilt mechanism or ride an old one which had run millions of riders up without incident but decades old???
    Last edited by SumJongGuy; 09-13-2018 at 04:50 PM.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Would you rather be the first group to ride up in the NEW rebuilt mechanism or ride an old one which had run millions if riders up without incident but decades old???
    I wonder if they'll replace with some incredible scifi like design similar to the new Skyway Monte Bianco?

The old one was definitely... errr... full of character.

I kind of miss the old rust bucket that was the last stage of the Helbonner. At least we still stay a chance of dying on the last stage of the Valluga.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I kind of miss the old rust bucket that was the last stage of the Helbonner.
    We drove up into La Palud this year to see what had happened there since the new tram... it's a pretty sad sight. Louisa's cafe is closed down and for sale.. the old ticket office and lift building is demolished ... and just a pile of bricks now. Felt like a ghost town.

The old ride up was quite the experience... the new one is quite mind blowing though.

We drove up into La Palud this year to see what had happened there since the new tram... it's a pretty sad sight. Louisa's cafe is closed down and for sale.. the old ticket office and lift building is demolished ... and just a pile of bricks now. Felt like a ghost town.

The old ride up was quite the experience... the new one is quite mind blowing though.
    Absolutely the best coffee ever. It makes me sad but privileged to have been there

Would you rather be the first group to ride up in the NEW rebuilt mechanism or ride an old one which had run millions of riders up without incident but decades old???
    A new one. They go through rigorous testing before they load humans. Old shit can break.

Quote Originally Posted by yellofin View Post
    Absolutely the best coffee ever. It makes me sad but privileged to have been there
    Yep. Absolutely.

Similarly for the old Punta Indren cable cars and the Rifugio Guglielmina.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    A new one. They go through rigorous testing before they load humans. Old shit can break.
    new shit can break, too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a9b9e8d6-13cb-4587-860f-81420be808e6.jpeg 
Views:	169 
Size:	272.6 KB 
ID:	247285

I'll take new. They test them, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by yellofin View Post
    So true

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot