Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
    How quickly does it track these days if the top is not open? Last time I skinned up from the Bochard (2009) I had 50cm of decent powder down Point de Vue a week after it had last snowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by peds View Post
    Much busier than that these days, on your average December powder day there might be 20-30 tracks on the other side come closing time. Some of those will be laps, too.
    if it stays closed all season it may be a rare opportunity for those willing to skin up.

20-30 tracks per day sounds pretty good.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

The main reason to go to Chamonix is those two lifts IMO--easy access to wild moderate to extreme glacial terrain. I'm sure the locals will find plenty to do but people on their yearly ski trip could do better elsewhere. Having those 2 lifts out has to be hard on the guiding business.

While we're talking about Chamonix--what is Le Tour like with fresh snow? We hiked down through the area doing the Tour du Mont Blanc and it seemed like there was a lot of opportunity for low angle pow--maybe doesn't get skied out fast due to the area attracting beginner/intermediates. Am I right? (And the Le Tour lift was also out, disappointing those looking for an easy down at the end of the TMB)

Quote Originally Posted by yellofin View Post
    Absolutely the best coffee ever. It makes me sad but privileged to have been there
    Don't worry, Louisa makes coffee at the top of the skyway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10928955_10153361371294321_6990033415791263634_o.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	355.5 KB 
ID:	247972

Closing day at Louisa's
    Knowledge is Powder

Much busier than that these days, on your average December powder day there might be 20-30 tracks on the other side come closing time. Some of those will be laps, too.
    ??? More like 500.

To put it in perspective, we get 300+ skinning up the first day there is skiable snow in Les Houches
    Knowledge is Powder

Quote Originally Posted by Idris View Post

Closing day at Louisa's
    Good to know thanks
    Great picture

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The main reason to go to Chamonix is those two lifts IMO--easy access to wild moderate to extreme glacial terrain. I'm sure the locals will find plenty to do but people on their yearly ski trip could do better elsewhere. Having those 2 lifts out has to be hard on the guiding business.
    What other lift is out???

Im committed to staying in Chamonix for 4 nights, and i have two free day tickets there. Would it be easy enough and worth it to just day trip over to courmayeur the other couple days (snow dependent of course)? Or even with the lift/s down will there be enough to keep me occupied.

When i first planned this trip i was hoping for 2 days skiing and chilling with the GFs family, 1 day guided with my GF to get a feel for the area and get some knowledge, and then 1-2 days freeriding with my GF (who rips). Is this still viable to do all at Chamonix? there are 2 ski days in there where we are not commited to the chamonix/courmayeur area (but we are flying out of Zurich, so something on the way or close to cham would be appreciated. Would La clusaz be worth it to check out? would be kinda cool to see and ski around the mtn ive seen Candide rip to shreds for 15+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post

Im committed to staying in Chamonix for 4 nights, and i have two free day tickets there. Would it be easy enough and worth it to just day trip over to courmayeur the other couple days (snow dependent of course)? Or even with the lift/s down will there be enough to keep me occupied.

When i first planned this trip i was hoping for 2 days skiing and chilling with the GFs family, 1 day guided with my GF to get a feel for the area and get some knowledge, and then 1-2 days freeriding with my GF (who rips). Is this still viable to do all at Chamonix? there are 2 ski days in there where we are not commited to the chamonix/courmayeur area (but we are flying out of Zurich, so something on the way or close to cham would be appreciated. Would La clusaz be worth it to check out? would be kinda cool to see and ski around the mtn ive seen Candide rip to shreds for 15+ years.
    the midi is shut due to cable problems. don't know for how long. Courmayeur is still there
    engelberg and verbier are worthy
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Closing day at Louisa's
    Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Looks like from this source, they hope to have the 2nd upper stage of the Midi open by December : https://mailchi.mp/compagniedumontbl...n?e=35a234f79a

Have a trip booked for April 2019 with a guide so, hopefully Montets upper lift being down won't negatively impact itinerary too much. As others have said, maybe it will open up opportunities for those willing to skin...
    Buy the ticket...take the ride.

this will be a good excuse for us to go back when they build a new tram and we've gotta go try it out
    skid luxury

While we're talking about Chamonix--what is Le Tour like with fresh snow? We hiked down through the area doing the Tour du Mont Blanc and it seemed like there was a lot of opportunity for low angle pow--maybe doesn't get skied out fast due to the area attracting beginner/intermediates. Am I right?
    Yes, you are right. Went there multiple times in low vis and or high danger kinda days and you have it exactly right, British with their kids sticking between the pylons while a handful of people literally1 meter off piste enjoy amazing low angle pow Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4642.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	248044

Lots of crazy descents down amazing giant avy paths into Switzerland from the top too. Great touring potential. And they actually have a dedicated rando route up from the base area and don’t mind you skimming along the boundary line to the divide ridge on top.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Wymontchoppers View Post
    Yes, you are right. Went there multiple times in low vis and or high danger kinda days and you have it exactly right, British with their kids sticking between the pylons while a handful of people literally1 meter off piste enjoy amazing low angle pow Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4642.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	248044

Lots of crazy descents down amazing giant avy paths into Switzerland from the top too. Great touring potential. And they actually have a dedicated rando route up from the base area and don’t mind you skimming along the boundary line to the divide ridge on top.

]]GR Forums[/url]
    yep gotta agree that out level or exposure gels with Cham
    skid luxury

??? More like 500.

To put it in perspective, we get 300+ skinning up the first day there is skiable snow in Les Houches
    Nah, simply not true. Back in early December the previous season, the wife and I went for a midday skin to the col on a decent-enough day, I counted maybe 15 other tracks on our way out. She went home, I went for another lap, there were around 40 tracks as I joined the moraine.

Some days you'll get loads more, maybe even a hundred and fifty, but some days you won't get anyone. I've never seen 500 tracks on the other side of the col when the top lift is closed.

I am positive, however, that 500 will be a realistic number on a decent day this year.

edit
    Just to add... yeah, 300+ skinning up grassy pistes down in Les Houches is normal, so is 500, 600, up at Le Tour... when the lifts aren't open. As soon as you've got the Bochard and the Herse running, you get far fewer people willing to put the effort in. I'm not complaining, though!
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

While we're talking about Chamonix--what is Le Tour like with fresh snow?
    The whole area of Balme, both the Le Tour side and the Vallorcine side, is terrible on a powder day. It's far too crowded, the trees are among the worst in the whole of the Chamonix valley, the options for short sections of skinning to access great big untouched descents are limited, and you'll probably have to endure the company of some smug mother fuckers who think they've tapped into the great secret of where to go on a good pow day.

Definitely stay away. Join the queue for the Herse instead.

edit
    Oh, and the mulled beer at the station restaurant in Vallorcine is disgusting. Don't even think about warming your cockles with one after skiing the Vallorcine bubble lift line.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post

hopefully just one lift down--the Grand Montets summit. Sounds like the Aiguille du Midi might open in December,
    https://www.chamonix.com/lifts,88,en.html
    Between doing at least one Vallee Blanche--book ahead of time, especially if you want to do on a Friday--the other lifts at GM, Courmayeur, and Brevent/Flegere you should have plenty to do in Chamonix. I wouldn't book a trip there knowing the GM was down but since you're committed you'll be fine. And you'll have a good reason to go back in a later year when the GM is replaced.

The whole area of Balme, both the Le Tour side and the Vallorcine side, is terrible on a powder day. It's far too crowded, the trees are among the worst in the whole of the Chamonix valley, the options for short sections of skinning to access great big untouched descents are limited, and you'll probably have to endure the company of some smug mother fuckers who think they've tapped into the great secret of where to go on a good pow day.

Definitely stay away. Join the queue for the Herse instead.

edit
    Oh, and the mulled beer at the station restaurant in Vallorcine is disgusting. Don't even think about warming your cockles with one after skiing the Vallorcine bubble lift line.
    Thanks for the info. You saved me from making a horrible mistake.

I wonder if Idris and Peds know each other? New school bad ass...meet old school bad ass. Refreshing to see that no matter where you call home, the old crusty fucks (term of endearment) always year for the untracked days of old when the pace was more casual.

2006 Idris guided me down the Glacier Rond in unbelievable conditions. The only other folks around were some on Glisseur's buddies who I met in Lenas. Pure old school Maggot-dom.

But seriously, if you are considering a trip to Cham, pick your self up a copy of the Vamos Mont Blanc Off Piste Guide. You will quickly realize that there is mulitple lifetimes of mind blowing decents available without the Midi or Montets tram in service. There is this place called Brevant/Flegere, have you heard of it? Tours in the Augille Rouge, ENSA, Bellin,Index etc.

Just go! There are mulitple threads about how to Cham. Learn and profit.

http://www.chamonixtopo.com/skiing/c...-ensa-brevent/

Name:  photos1314_20140128_007-696x464.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  120.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I wonder if Idris and Peds know each other? New school bad ass...meet old school bad ass. Refreshing to see that no matter where you call home, the old crusty fucks (term of endearment) always year for the untracked days of old when the pace was more casual.

2006 Idris guided me down the Glacier Rond in unbelievable conditions. The only other folks around were some on Glisseur's buddies who I met in Lenas. Pure old school Maggot-dom.

But seriously, if you are considering a trip to Cham, pick your self up a copy of the Vamos Mont Blanc Off Piste Guide. You will quickly realize that there is mulitple lifetimes of mind blowing decents available without the Midi or Montets tram in service. There is this place called Brevant/Flegere, have you heard of it? Tours in the Augille Rouge, ENSA, Bellin,Index etc.

Just go! There are mulitple threads about how to Cham. Learn and profit.

http://www.chamonixtopo.com/skiing/c...-ensa-brevent/
    Yep, good memories. That Idris dude "guided" so many Mag's around back in the day it was ridiculous. Thanks mang! We went up the Midi a few times. If I'm remembering right, he and Splat got the Rond the day before I did with some other friends. This was '01 or '02...
    He who has the most fun wins!

What a resource this site is. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    What a resource this site is. Wow.
    Curated by Dave Searle, who I'm sure you've seen on the old Instagram.

I wonder if Idris and Peds know each other? New school bad ass...meet old school bad ass.
    Yes yes, I know Tom. He used to take my old fryer oil to run his van when I was the chef at the Rusticana. I see him in lift lines a fair bit.

Thanks for the info. You saved me from making a horrible mistake.
    Don't have lunch at L'Alpage de Balme at the bottom of the Possettes draglift either, and definitely don't phone ahead to make a booking so you can't sit outside on a sunny day. Their wine list is terrible.

Is the sarcasm needle affected by altitude?
    Idris r00lz.
    small world.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I think you got it double wrong and both understand each other

Sent from my BLA-L29 using TGR Forums mobile app
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Chamonix &quot;disaster&quot;

Ps best alive thread on TGR:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-for-the-Euros

Birtle where you at?
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS