Fox 36 vs 34 - Trance related

Wife is interested in a Trance. Maybe not the most exciting or progressive modern geometry bike but its the one she has liked the best so far.
    Took a look on giants website where the 2019’s are up.
    Not much different but the advanced 1 spec is coming with a Fox 36 instead of the 34 on the 2018.
    So is a 36 completely overkill for a 135 pounder who is not exactly going to push this bike to its limits?
    Any disadvantage other than presumably weight? And how much heavier is it.
    2018 on sale; she likes 2019 color

I have the 2018 Trance 2 with the 34 and I'm happy with it. I'm male, 175 lbs and would say the 36 is likely overkill for your wife. Hell, the 34 is probably overkill.

I just looked at the website and it appears the Trance 2 line comes with a 34. Only the Trance 3 has a different fork from what I see and it's a Suntour. Also looked at the Advanced line, all 34 except for one with some other brand (can't remember what).

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Wife is interested in a Trance. Maybe not the most exciting or progressive modern geometry bike but its the one she has liked the best so far.
    Took a look on giants website where the 2019’s are up.
    Not much different but the advanced 1 spec is coming with a Fox 36 instead of the 34 on the 2018.
    So is a 36 completely overkill for a 135 pounder who is not exactly going to push this bike to its limits?
    Any disadvantage other than presumably weight? And how much heavier is it.
    2018 on sale; she likes 2019 color
    Yes. I prefer the 36 by a HUDGE margin over the 34, but I weigh 225....and break shit regularly, either by riding or crashing

You're wife will likely be better off with the 34. I think the weight is only about 1/2 pound, if I remember correctly. A good shop will likely switch out the 36 for a 34....just ask.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Yep, the 36 is total overkill for what she needs... the 34 will be just fine.

It will be worth more if and when you sell the bike if it has the 36.

The Fox 34 blows in my experience. I'd say go 36 just on the off chance it doesn't suck as mightily as the 34.

All that said - they're probably all overkill for a 135#er.

Thanks all.
    Confirming my sense that 34 is perfectly adequate and possibly preferable for her.

Probably just make sure nothing else changed that I do care about and then save some $$ on the '18
    Assuming they don't suck, getting carbon hoops along with eagle 1x12, a dpx2 and good maxxis rubber on a $4k ride is pretty sweet

I actually have the 2018 Adv 1. Other than the shitty fork, I have little to complain about - carbon hoops, alu rear triangle, decent 1x12 drivetrain, rear shock is adequate.

Oh - the stock tires are shitty, too.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Oh - the stock tires are shitty, too.
    To be fair, shitty OEM tires are pretty standard across the industry. I think it's a law or something.

Thanks all.
    Confirming my sense that 34 is perfectly adequate and possibly preferable for her.

Probably just make sure nothing else changed that I do care about and then save some $$ on the '18
    Assuming they don't suck, getting carbon hoops along with eagle 1x12, a dpx2 and good maxxis rubber on a $4k ride is pretty sweet
    Again, just to be clear, it appears the Trance, in most variations, comes with the 34 NOT the 36. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Again, just to be clear, it appears the Trance, in most variations, comes with the 34 NOT the 36. Am I missing something?
    Definitely showing 36 on next years Advanced 1 & 2 and DVO on the 0

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bi...-advanced-2019

I have a 34 Performance (GRIP 1 damper). It's OK, but due to the poor adjustment for compression, it feels like I can either get it to feel supportive, or have good small bump compliance, but not both. I've heard from others that this is due to some inherent design of the GRIP 1 damper. I don't find it too flexy or whatever at 165 lbs.

I also have a 2018 36 RC2, which is great. But it also cost like... $600 more (I bought an OEM takeoff 34).

Definitely showing 36 on next years Advanced 1 & 2 and DVO on the 0

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bi...-advanced-2019
    Okay, not what I was looking at. I was looking at the Trance 2, not Advanced.

never ridden a 34 but I own last years 36 and its been pretty awesume IME, its just so good I forget to think about it, actualy I like all the fox stuff on my yeti

https://nsmb.com/articles/long-term-...rip2-float-x2/

you might look into and consider the 2019 might have a new & improved 36 ??
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Interesting the 27.5" "regular" Trance Advanced has the 36mm fork, and the 29" "new" Trance Advanced has a 34mm... I guess with less travel (130mm v 150mm) they decided the 29'er does not need the stiffness of the 36.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    never ridden a 34 but I own last years 36 and its been pretty awesume IME, its just so good I forget to think about it, actualy I like all the fox stuff on my yeti

https://nsmb.com/articles/long-term-...rip2-float-x2/

you might look into and consider the 2019 might have a new & improved 36 ??
    Possible but also sometimes really hard to know exactly what is inside OEM spec forks
    But since they state 150mm travel FIT4 damper I'm guessing its not the same as the new 160+ Fit GRIP2 in that article though

well just one more piece of data to obsessively think about, from something I was reading yesterday,
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

It’d be worth a few dollars to have external compression adjustment. It may be set and forget generally but chances are you’ll want to adjust that initially and after that occasionally. Not sure if it’s ez to bump the travel up on a 34 or a 36 but that’s something to consider. A little more a little slacker isn’t a bad thing.
    Also not mentioned but I think the giant carbon rims have had a redesign from last years to 2019’s

^^^ Bikes i'm looking at have fit4 dampers in performance elite series forks with 3 position lever. I think you only get low speed compression adjust in factory series and thats way mo $$$

Thanks for heads up re hoops - looks like they have changed. Seems TRX 1 wheelset gone from 27 to 30 inner and are now hookless.

^^^ Bikes i'm looking at have fit4 dampers in performance elite series forks with 3 position lever. I think you only get low speed compression adjust in factory series and thats way mo $$$
    My understanding is that Perfomance Elite and Factory are identical other than the coating on the stanchions, if the damper is the same. Performance Elite gets black anodize, Factory gets Kashima.

So a FIT4 Performance Elite and FIT4 Factory have the same adjustments. Google tells me the FIT4 has 22 clicks of low speed compression adjustment in open mode.

Not to be confused with the regular Performance, which always has less adjustment. Or the GRIP2 damper, which is different and has more adjustments.

Fox 36 vs 34 - Trance related

^^^ heck, [mention]adrenalated[/mention]you’re probably right and I’m just confused.
    I couldn’t remember what was actually on the bike she rode so I looked at the Fox website which is where I found this:
    FIT4
    A reconfigured shim stack found in all 34 and 36 FIT4 forks provides more sensitivity while maintaining support during aggressive riding.
    In its fourth generation, our patented FIT4 closed cartridge system provides three on-the-fly compression damping positions—Open, Medium, and Firm—to adapt to varying trail conditions. Factory Series forks feature an additional 22 clicks of low-speed compression adjust in the Open mode, allowing riders to fine-tune their exact damping preferences.
    Last edited by dcpnz; 09-12-2018 at 09:59 PM.

Adrenalated is correct.
    Performance = budget/OEM version. Heavier CSU, LS rebound, LSC adjust (12 clicks). Uses GRIP damper
    Performance Elite = high end but not blingy. Identical to Factory except for anodizing on stanchions. Available in both FIT4 and RC2 (2018)/GRIP2 (2019) dampers.
    ->FIT4 = LS rebound, LSC adjust (22 clicks), 3-pos compression adjust (open/medium/firm)
    ->RC2 = LS rebound, LSC (26 clicks), HSC (22 clicks)
    ->GRIP2 = HS rebound, LS rebound, LSC, HSC

I ride a 2017 trance. Had a revelation 150 on it, then I put a pike 160 on it about a month ago. The extra travel and the slight slackening really made the bike come alive. Way more fun and stable without sacrificing any climbing ability.

If a bike came with a 36 I would never take it off for a 34. 34's get overwhelmed at speed in the gnar. The 36 is a way better chassis even if its overkill for your needs. Im 140 lbs and notice the difference in every way possible. Fox tries to market the 34 as a competitor the Pike but its not even close if the fork has over 130mm of Travel.

That all being said if the bike comes with a 34 she will probably be just fine if she's not pushing it.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025