Alaska Heli-Ski fully booked date???

I was thinking of doing a few weeks of heli-skiing in Alaska this year. Mainly looking at PNH and ARG in March and April. I was wondering when they usually become booked? With the roaring economy I assume they will be booked earlier than in past years. I see PNH already has their first week booked but I assume this is probably a film crew since I heard the movie guys like to go early season to get the deepest possible blower powder. Then again Majestic has an end of March week booked already too. But is there a general time of the year where everyone starts to see their weeks disappearing?... Btw, it's weird to see the price differences from 9 years ago. It used to be CPG were the super expensive heli guys were all the Texas oilmen went and the Valdez guys were the cheapies. Now CPG is cheap and Arg and Majestic are twice as much as the others.

First week is traditionally some variation of guide school can't say for sure. I've skied at several ops and felt PNH was the most professional overall.

Imho sitting around for 8 days isn't worth it I'd rather be in BC skiing everyday

I was the first mag to fly with CPG.
    I was there when Krietler augured in, in February
    Flying is pretty iffy in February.
    I’d book air fare in April and surf seats.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineKevin View Post
    I was thinking of doing a few weeks of heli-skiing in Alaska this year. Mainly looking at PNH and ARG in March and April. I was wondering when they usually become booked? With the roaring economy I assume they will be booked earlier than in past years. I see PNH already has their first week booked but I assume this is probably a film crew since I heard the movie guys like to go early season to get the deepest possible blower powder. Then again Majestic has an end of March week booked already too. But is there a general time of the year where everyone starts to see their weeks disappearing?... Btw, it's weird to see the price differences from 9 years ago. It used to be CPG were the super expensive heli guys were all the Texas oilmen went and the Valdez guys were the cheapies. Now CPG is cheap and Arg and Majestic are twice as much as the others.
    If you're gonna go, wait for the right conditions and book last minute - there are enough operators that you should find seats. From my personal experience heli-skiing in AK is not worth it, both in terms of the actual cost and the opportunity cost. If you're desperate to heli-ski, do it in Canada. You'll have no down days and get out every day.

Quote Originally Posted by stantonbum1 View Post
    If you're gonna go, wait for the right conditions and book last minute - there are enough operators that you should find seats. From my personal experience heli-skiing in AK is not worth it, both in terms of the actual cost and the opportunity cost. If you're desperate to heli-ski, do it in Canada. You'll have no down days and get out every day.
    Right, but you will do in low angle terrain

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Right, but you will do in low angle terrain

Like in AK too as a general rule. Heli operators aren't going to take you to ski movie terrain. The average guest isn't good enough and neither are many of the guides.

Like in AK too as a general rule. Heli operators aren't going to take you to ski movie terrain. The average guest isn't good enough and neither are many of the guides.
    If you have a decent group and conditions allow, many AK heli ops will get you to the goods.

Yes, true. Last time I went in 2009, you had to beg to ski steep terrain.

But still, it's there with low avalanche danger, usually. Much lower than Canada.

So on average, you still ski stepper stuff

Each operation is different. It depends on the operation and if they do daily skiing or not. Do your homework and contact who you want to ski with. Some have a static amount of helicopters/guides and book specifically for that, some can be more fluid. The best time of the season for freeskiing can be late feb-early march. All aspects are in play.

This isn't true. It depends on all the factors coming together. Frequently, they do all come together. Some guides can't ski the terrain, that is true. You may have to put your time in, find the right guide, find the right group, find the right operation. Or, you could book last minute, fill in a seat with the right group/guide, and have the best roll of your life.
    Drive slow, homie.