Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    It'll pretty much work everything from the neck down. Start by just trying to hold onto it zercher-style (https://www.t-nation.com/system/publ...?ts=1511397173). You'll be lucky to make it 30 seconds at first. Hell, at first just getting it off the floor is a task. Wide feet help. The longest I've ever held it was a little over 3 minutes, and I was grunting, huffing and puffing like a madman the final minute. When you can hold it for over a minute without too much trouble start trying to walk with it, squat it, or do lateral lunges. I tried to do regular lunges once and failed miserably, just too hard to stabilize laterally. Overhead stuff (overhead hold, overhead press, overhead squat) is great, too.

Buy a 10 ft piece of 4-inch ABS pipe (ABS is preferable to PVC since it's stronger and UV resistant), two 4-inch end caps and ABS cement if don't already have some. Mark the middle with a strip of tape or whatever, glue on one of the caps and let it cure for a few hours. For a 40-lb pipe add 3.5 gallons of water. Glue on the other end, wait a few more hours and you're set for some ass-kicking.

40 lbs is plenty for mortals, but if you want to go heavier each additional gallon of water is 8.3 lbs. Realistically the heaviest you can go with a 4" pipe is about 50 lbs. Beyond that the pipe is too full to get the proper slosh effect.
    So it stays 10 feet long? Why do you mark the middle, is that just so you know where to pick it up?

Generally my weeks look like this, but I will change it up if I have an upcoming event or really need to focus on something (Strength, Size, Endurance) or just get bored and want to mix some shit it, but the general ~week lay out stays the same High Intensity, Low Volume -> Low Intensity High Volume.
    Monday: AM High Intensity Intervals (<60 sec) with BW upper body work to 3 RIR: Example: 8 sets of 30 sec sled sprints @80% pace, 60-120sec rest, followed by 25 pull ups, 100 push ups, and 30 leg lifts (broken into sets)
    PM: High Intensity Upper Body Strength (Mostly BB and Bi-lateral exercises) 4-10 sets of 3-8 reps @60-90%, Example: CGBP 8x5, Z-Press 4x6 3RIR, BBR 4x12 3RIR, 4x20 Tricep extensions, 4x 20 Face Pulls, Unweighted Abs (Ab wheel)

Tuesday: Lower Strength: Trap DL 4-10x3-8x60-90%, Hamstring Movement (GHR, Good morning, Stiff leg DL) 3-5x8-15 1`-3 RIR, Farmers Carries, followed by weighted abs and 10-20min of Zone 1 recovery cardio

Wednesday: Mid-Distance Endurance, 30-60min Zone 3. Unweighted abs, some Pushups/Pull Ups to 5 RIR. Hip and Core Stability work,

Thursday: AM: Tempo Endurance work, 4-8x 3:00-8:00 intervals in Zone 4 with ~3:00 rest, think 800-1600m intervals. Upper Body and Core BW exercises similar to Monday @ 3-1 RIR.
    PM: Upper Body Hypertrophy. Generally a Fun first exercise I want to do: (Log Press, Power Cleans, Circus DB followed by lat pull downs and Lots of Unilateral Body Builder style exercises and rep schemes. Single Arm BP, Single Arm Row, Lateral Raises, Reverse Flys, Flys,

Friday: Lower Body Volume: Loaded movements and unilateral exercises for 3-5x8-12 reps. This is also where I will do leg blasters or other "metcon" but not to the point where I can't walk or recover in 24 hours. Weighted Ab work, recovery cardio. a Day could look like: 5x 100m Sandbag Toss / Carry, 5x Leg blasters. 3x10 Walking lunges/Step Ups/Split Squats, 4x10 Snatch Grip RDL, Russian Twists, and 15min on the bike @ zone 1.

Saturday: AM: 60-180min @ Zone 2.
    PM: If I have energy all do some arm and shoulder accessory work as well as hip stability work

Sunday: Maybe a 10-20min Zone 1.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    So it stays 10 feet long? Why do you mark the middle, is that just so you know where to pick it up?
    Yes and yes.

Jeezus Christ you guys have a lot of time to work out.

I've been hiking around the neighborhood with a baby for a few weeks... does that make me core? What about a 3-mile loop over lunch hour?

One day I'll have time for myself again. Till then, you fuckos better fully appreciate having the time to train. Sigh

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

I've been hiking around the neighborhood with a baby for a few weeks... does that make me core? What about a 3-mile loop over lunch hour?

One day I'll have time for myself again. Till then, you fuckos better fully appreciate having the time to train. Sigh
    Hey, if AC Slater can do it... you can too!

Name:  e7d916384ff0f058e12833c5d83de119.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  85.9 KB

Leg extensions. Worth it or worthless

And you’re case in point that all the time spent in the gym has limited effect on skiing.

It’s called a dad bod for a reason.

Generally 5 hours of training comes out of my work day. I spend about 3 hours of my personally time training. With the exception of a couple of lifting sessions and the long run day most training sessions are less than 45 min. Only the two longer running days ever get past an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Hey, if AC Slater can do it... you can too!

Name:  e7d916384ff0f058e12833c5d83de119.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  85.9 KB
    That stroller must be heavy af. Homie is all flexed up.

I was doing a 5k race a few years back. I started out around the middle of the pack and worked my way up toward the front. At about the 3k or so mark, I see this woman pushing a baby carriage. I'm thinking, how the hell is she still in front of me!. It took me about 1.5k to finally pass her on a slight incline. That to me is pretty hard core.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Some of these posts are hilarious. If you spent all the time wasted on training here on tech talk you would be much better skiers. Tgr forums =training

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Here's how I rock it:

5-6 hours of running, in 3 or 4 sessions. One day I'll include some sort fartlek/strides or other form of lazy speed work. One run will be 3 hrs plus. Usually about 4-6k vert total for the week.

2 PT/strength sessions (takes 1:15 to 1:30) in my basement that looks something like this:

warmup x 3:
    lunge complex
    push ups
    ring rows
    monster walk with band around feet

3 sets pistols squats with dumbbell for counter weight
    3 sets ring dips or press
    1 set deadlift of 3 sets 1 leg deadlift
    5 sets weighted pull-ups
    3 sets side planks
    5 sets weighted box steps with barbell

This time of year I'll get in a leg blaster on a separate day most weeks, but the downhill running also works. If my legs are beat I take it easy/ shorten/ eliminate the leg blaster.

A couple nights a week I smoke a bowl and do some slow deep stretching.

Next week I'll start hauling water uphill as part of the running.

Also, I have a 5 year old and a 7 week old. I do a recovery hike with the 5 years old on the weekend. Usually about 5 miles and 600-1000 vert. How do I find the time? I kind of have to. If I don't I'm grumpy and I can't concentrate. Most of my work is flexible in terms of location and time. I often work for an hour or two after everybody else goes to bed to make up for time spent running (or skiing) during the day.

Not gonna cut it bud.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Training won’t make you a better skier. It will get you ready for ski season as to be able to hit the ground running and help to avoid injury.
    Skiing makes you a better skier.

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Some of these posts are hilarious. If you spent all the time wasted on training here on tech talk you would be much better skiers. Tgr forums =training

Name:  IMG_1725.JPG
Views: 360
Size:  90.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post

Or study up on rubber products and join the tire nerd threads.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post

Also, I have a 5 year old and a 7 week old. I do a recovery hike with the 5 years old on the weekend. Usually about 5 miles and 600-1000 vert. How do I find the time? I kind of have to. If I don't I'm grumpy and I can't concentrate. Most of my work is flexible in terms of location and time. I often work for an hour or two after everybody else goes to bed to make up for time spent running (or skiing) during the day.
    That flexibility is key, as is the spousal situation, with little kids in the mix. Glad you got it man, I do not currently.

My wife and I both work 9 hours a day, fixed with no option to move hours, and no option to take work home.

There is a 20 minute window in the morning, at 4:45, to run or whatever before scrambling to get everyone packed and out the door. Usually I'm running in the dark in the rain.

30-40 minutes at lunch maybe an hour if I push it, not long enough to walk to the gym and change/workout/shower/change/walk back, but usually I'll walk the whole time in my work clothes and at least be moving.

Reverse commute, get home and immediately start cooking while wife wrangles baby and toddler, eat by 6:45, do dishes and pack lunches while wife nurses baby and puts it to bed. Play with toddler from 7 to 7:30 and wish I had a lot more time than that, bedtime routine, read two books, close her door at 8.

For an ideal 8 hrs of sleep, 8:45 would be bed time and I'd have 45 minutes to work out. Sometimes it happens, but that would be with perfectly functional systems like house and car and ski/bike/hike gear and garden, all of which require constant maintenance due to my chosen method of DIY and... usually I'm blasted all week by going to bed at 10:30 because I mounted skis or fixed the faucet something.

Sorry for that blog, what a pile of shit.

Guess I needed to explain it to myself.

So I see that I could probably gain some time daily for working out by paying for new cars or paying someone else to fix these ones, paying someone else to work on my house, xeriscaping the yard, and eating meals requiring little or no preparation.

Weekends are usually in the mountains, check.

Gah

For an ideal 8 hrs of sleep,
    LOL...

maybe 7, usually 5-6, often 4-5, rarely 8.

I'm exhibit A as a person who works out 7-8 hours per week and still get my ass handed to me skinning or hiking. My motivation at this point is the fear of how slow I'd be if I didn't work out so much.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    LOL...

maybe 7, usually 5-6, often 4-5, rarely 8.
    Same here, up for work at 3:30 in the summer and 4:30 in the winter. Ain’t going to bed at 8pm, fuck that. Sleep when ur dead

Oh, don't worry, babies take care of that whole "sleep" idea, too.

And sacrificing sleep to work out isn't my favorite. It is the easiest bucket from which to borrow currently... but I can't be foggy at work and don't want to cause memory problems later in life either.

Everyone has their balance. This will get better as the baby days wane. Baby plus toddler is a demanding scene.

Oh, don't worry, babies take care of that whole "sleep" idea, too.

And sacrificing sleep to work out isn't my favorite. It is the easiest bucket from which to borrow currently... but I can't be foggy at work and don't want to cause memory problems later in life either.

Everyone has their balance. This will get better as the baby days wane. Baby plus toddler is a demanding scene.
    Yeah, it will wane in about 13yrs...

Yeah, I sleep 5-7 interrupted hours. My wife has 6 months paid maternity leave. And I have pretty much no social life that doesn't involve exercise. That's what works for me. I wouldn't call my life balanced, but I slacked on exercise when our first son was born and I was a miserable prick with the attention span of a goldfish until I reprioritized. Not saying it's for everyone.

So I see that I could probably gain some time daily for working out by eating meals requiring little or no preparation.
    Thats kinda how i try to do it. Always homecooked cause its WAAAAY cheaper, but grilled meat/veggies/starch taking no more than 30 mins from opening the fridge to sitting down to eat. Anything that can be made into a mindless routine will save you time that can be banked for later (cooking, groceries, dressing/hygiene, etc). As a fellow engineer i kinda enjoy hacking together DIY solutions for my condo, but i also do the time=money calculus a lot and contract out work that i think is worth it.

I work out at 530am 3 days a week, and because i live 15 mins from work, im at my desk by 730am those mornings. In by 7am the other mornings. No kids yet, but everything ive heard from parents says that living close to work makes life 10x easier. That said, nothing is easy with a baby and toddler in the house haha.

the problem with living close to work is when it requires you to give up things you like living with, like space, a yard, parks to go play at, and not getting shot or robbed.

Sounds to me like you’re crushing it man, the fact that you’re able to get any workouts at all with a 5 y/o and a newborn is awesome. Mine are 5 years and 18 months so I know that stage far too well and can assure you that it will wane. Just keep plugging away.

My little hack to get extra workout time is to do mini workouts at the office - anytime I need a break I’ll do some planks/pushups/squats/etc. Not as intense as hitting the gym but if you’re consistent you can build up good volume throughout the day