Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Been doing this little post squat prep the legs for ski circuit:
    20x box step ups with dumbells
    15x squats with dumbells
    10x heavy kettlebell stiff leg deadlifts

X5, quickly with no breaks between sets and a minimal pause between repeats.

Anybody else have a fun “finisher” for getting the lactic acid up?
    Honestly, leg blasters. I find the key is to not shortchange the effort on the jumping. Its real easy to start half-assing the jumping movements and just barely get off the ground (same with stuff like burpees), but if i am exploding at 100% on every jumping rep they work very, very well. Its like with most bodyweight, or calisthenics stuff, its really easy to cheat if you arent 100% focused mentally on putting out 100% effort.

Been doing this little post squat prep the legs for ski circuit:
    20x box step ups with dumbells
    15x squats with dumbells
    10x heavy kettlebell stiff leg deadlifts

X5, quickly with no breaks between sets and a minimal pause between repeats.

Anybody else have a fun “finisher” for getting the lactic acid up?
    Been closing out squats with this one for a while now:

3 x 10 single leg deadlift w/ single dumbbell or kettlebell (< 60 sec rest between sets)
    3 x 15 walking lunges with dumbbells (< 60 sec rest between sets)

2 jump lunges (left jump, right jump, left jump, right jump = 2)
    4 deadlifts with ~50% of 1RM weight
    no rest

4 jump lunges
    8 deadlifts
    no rest

6 jump lunges
    12 deadlifts
    no rest

... repeat until you can't take it anymore, 16/32 max works for me... good luck on "no rest" towards the end

Shit, I’m lucky if i can walk to the locker room and shower, esp without puking after my front and back squat routine.
    If you can do all those other things after squats, you’re not squating enough.

Well what’s the routine?

Training is for amateurs. There is no training for Nash except Nash.
    Upper, Adrenalin , lower and lower mountain to Armstrong repeat. Plenty of time to rest on the chair

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Upper, Adrenalin , lower and lower mountain to Armstrong repeat. Plenty of time to rest on the chair

Yes! I judge my fitness level by upper Nash to base of Armstrong laps without a rest, in mash potato snow. Hard-pack and Powder too easy.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Shit, I’m lucky if i can walk to the locker room and shower, esp without puking after my front and back squat routine.
    Haha, right!? I deadlift heavy on my leg days, so just looking at fortrees finisher has me saying NOPENOPENOPE!!!

This is also very true. There is no better training for alpental, than training AT alpental. It always surprises me how much easier any other ski area is on my legs when i go traveling around during the winter. And it has always been a wakeup call the first day back on the padded seats.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Yes! I judge my fitness level by upper Nash to base of Armstrong laps without a rest, in mash potato snow. Hard-pack and Powder too easy.

Don't forget about the wall to wall Avi debris!

Seriously. Also, just say no to high-rep deadlifting. Deadlifts are not for cardio, period. thefortrees routine is working for him, but I wouldn't recommend that to anyone ever. If he stops at 16/32 and my math is right that's 144 reps at 50% of 1RM, after squatting. Fuck. That. (no offense)

Leg extensions. Worth it or worthless

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Built a slosh pipe yesterday. This thing will put hair on your chest.
    Not sure how I’ve missed this thing till know. Looks interesting. Are you using for full body or mostly legs? (Edit...and core of course)

Anything impact/explosive after squats its a recipe for knee/hip damage. Your ligaments are already massively taxed with the heavy movements.

Yo DTM! Post up your slosh pipe. What are the dimensions and weight? Ive been looking into one but not sure how heavy to go. I sure as hell don’t need more hair on my chest....

Why not, bro? A nip-to-nip curtain of thickass braided chest hair might be the next hotness.

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    Not sure how I’ve missed this thing till know. Looks interesting. Are you using for full body or mostly legs? (Edit...and core of course)
    It'll pretty much work everything from the neck down. Start by just trying to hold onto it zercher-style (https://www.t-nation.com/system/publ...?ts=1511397173). You'll be lucky to make it 30 seconds at first. Hell, at first just getting it off the floor is a task. Wide feet help. The longest I've ever held it was a little over 3 minutes, and I was grunting, huffing and puffing like a madman the final minute. When you can hold it for over a minute without too much trouble start trying to walk with it, squat it, or do lateral lunges. I tried to do regular lunges once and failed miserably, just too hard to stabilize laterally. Overhead stuff (overhead hold, overhead press, overhead squat) is great, too.

Yo DTM! Post up your slosh pipe. What are the dimensions and weight? Ive been looking into one but not sure how heavy to go. I sure as hell don’t need more hair in my chest....
    Buy a 10 ft piece of 4-inch ABS pipe (ABS is preferable to PVC since it's stronger and UV resistant), two 4-inch end caps and ABS cement if don't already have some. Mark the middle with a strip of tape or whatever, glue on one of the caps and let it cure for a few hours. For a 40-lb pipe add 3.5 gallons of water. Glue on the other end, wait a few more hours and you're set for some ass-kicking.

40 lbs is plenty for mortals, but if you want to go heavier each additional gallon of water is 8.3 lbs. Realistically the heaviest you can go with a 4" pipe is about 50 lbs. Beyond that the pipe is too full to get the proper slosh effect.

This may sound like a pretty basic post squat exercise, but honestly if you wanna get the lactic acid built up wall sits with a bosu ball. If you’re not almost crying after a couple 1 minute sets you’re jesus or something. That is usually how I conclude most leg workouts.

I also really like pistols with a medicine ball on the bosu after squats. Really good for building up ankle stabilization. Makes sense for both skiing and ice hockey.

Post squat i ride the bike for 10-15 min with little resistance. Don’t care about lactic resistance after squats. Thats another day.

Do your squats after going back to back to back with your old lady.

Building your body’s ability to work without building up lactate acid will likely go much further than focusing your body’s capacity while producing lactic acid. YMMV.

If you can’t walk after a workout your probably doing too much and not getting as strong/fit/capable as you could.

Do less.

Do your squats after going back to back to back with your old lady.
    SVS has given the best advice so far. Ski more, bang more.

Yeah yeah yeah okay so xd 2f what are you doing then? Enlighten us plebes

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Building your body’s ability to work without building up lactate acid will likely go much further than focusing your body’s capacity while producing lactic acid. YMMV.
    i.e., building your aerobic base, which most definitely benefits "anaerobic" activities (which usually aren't actually anaerobic, hence the quote marks).

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    If you can’t walk after a workout your probably doing too much and not getting as strong/fit/capable as you could.
    OTOH, if you are able to do a high-volume "finisher" after, say, a 3x5 or 5x5 heavy squat workout, you probably left something on the table during the heavy sets.

Yeah yeah yeah okay so xd 2f what are you doing then? Enlighten us plebes
    Sheesh....
    Warm up: Bike for 15 min moderately.
    Back Squat: light warm up full range.
    Jump squats: light weight small explosive move
    12 reps
    Back squat:
    “x” weight x14reps pulse 4 times last rep
    “X” weight x12 reps same
    “X weight x 10 reps same
    “X” weight x8 reps no pulse
    Front Squat:
    “X” weight x 10 reps pulse 4 times last rep
    “X” weight x 10 reps pulse again
    “X” weight x 8 reps no pulse
    Ride bike for 15 minutes to loosen up and move that acid.
    Waddle into locker room and shower.
    I will alternate back and front each week in the starting position. It works for me and was designed for me.
    I work on balance and lactic acid tolerance another day. That day suuucks.

2f I like it.

I’ve always been mr. 3x5 or 5x5 on squats/bench/deads (have had good results in the gym with 5x5 and also 5/3/1 program) but I really don’t want to go heavy anymore so that’s why I’ve been experimenting with circuit type stuff and not just going all out on the 3x5/5x5 stuff.

Admittedly I’m also not very strong right now after life got in the way of gym stuff for about a year. Now that I’m back at it, trying to change things more biased towards volume and being a bit more athletic vs just being able to grind out heavy weights. Also doing a lot of cardio, been getting up at 5am and biking/stairclimber for an hour at moderate intensity to try and build an aerobic base. I feel like I’ve neglected that for a long time.

Anyways I like reading about other mags routines, gives good insight. “Don’t do x” is less helpful imho - just share what you do and why you think it helps your ski performance.

And yeah yeah yeah build work capacity heavy is good blah blah blah 3x5... I just have been doing that off and on for the last 10 years (admittedly with zero consistency... I’ve worked up to the same 1,3,5 rm multiple times over the years and never gotten past the intermediate phase of periodization programming. Mediocre...) and I’m just tired of grinding against heavy weights and feel the risk is questionable for the payoff if lighter or bodyweight movements can achieve a similar effect.

I started working out to be fit for mountain travel and somehow musclehead powerlifter shit became more important than being fit to crush big days in the mountains. I’m trying to correct that and shift my training program.

/blog

LVS:
    Thats great man. Go slow, strength will come same with stamina. I’m still not as strong as i want due to my knee issue i fought all summer.
    I incorporate cardio into my strength training, except leg day. I’ll touch on that when i have time.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    This may sound like a pretty basic post squat exercise, but honestly if you wanna get the lactic acid built up wall sits with a bosu ball. If you’re not almost crying after a couple 1 minute sets you’re jesus or something. That is usually how I conclude most leg workouts.

I also really like pistols with a medicine ball on the bosu after squats. Really good for building up ankle stabilization. Makes sense for both skiing and ice hockey.
    I like doing wall squats at the end of a leg routine. I sometimes do them on a bosu ball too. The one thing I haven't really seen is good exercises for the hammies. I spend quite a bit of time on the bike both rode and mtn, but mostly rode cycling. So I feel like there's quite a big imbalance between the quads and the hamstring muscles. I also like to do pyramid HIIT on the bike trainer during the winter, and progressively increase the resistance and shorten the recovery time.

I have a lower back issue with my left side SI joint, so no go on barbell squats on the back. I will do light weight high rep barbell front squats and lots of leg lunges and dumbbell squats too for the quads. Romanian one leg squats and bench step up with a kettle bell. I guess I could look into doing dead lifts, something I stopped doing long ago.

I also do a series of core workout to help keep my back in shape. If I don't within a few weeks, I can feel my pelvic region getting loose. And then I end up tweaking it over something as simple as grabbing a bag of groceries or getting up off a chair.

I also used to do track workouts to help with the aerobics. Short wind sprint type workouts, and follow up with some nice 400 meter type training. Ah the good old days, when I could run sub 60 second 400's with a two minute recovery 6 or 7 times before just about puking. I've pretty much giving up the running thing in favor of the cycling thing. I have a nice road right near my street with a decent hill to do hill repeats on. Good to switch it up and do some big ring and small ring work outs for an hour. Then do a nice 20-30 minute warm down ride.

But the best work out's are the hikes in the mountains with the pack on the back. Or if I'm lucky the skis and boot pack it up and ski down.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I'm just wrapping up week 10 of a Bill Starr 5x5 modified to be leg heavy. Next week I'm switching to a more volume based program and plyometrics in an effort to get my work capacity up and get that bounce back in my legs. I really notice how much my anaerobic endurance, and endurance both benefit a ton from increasing top level strength, so getting that up to snuff was a top priority. And plyos help me get that athletic bounce back that I lose over summer.

NOTHING comes close to time on skis for getting in ski shape, so all I'm hoping to do is be strong enough and durable enough to be able to ski hard at a resort day 1.