Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 238
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I used to squat, almost 400 lbs then my knees started to hurt so I started leg presses, about 700 lbs.
    Then my knees hurt again.
    I tried electro muscle stimulation, and it works well.

    I am as strong as when I was lifting heavy, but no joint stress at all.

    Once a year I get on the leg press, to verify that I'm not getting weaker, and I still do 12 reps at 14 plates or about 700 pounds

    I do esm for 6 weeks, twice a year, before ski and mountain bike season, then very short sessions, once a week during season for maintenance

    I find that, even with skiing 100 days a year, I did get where throughout the season if I don't do the maintenance.

    The sessions are pretty hard core, you see muscle contractions far stronger than anything else I've done. Definitely can't watch TV or read while you're doing it.
    Interesting.

    Do you go to a gym / physical therapist to do the work, or do you have a setup that you can use at home?

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    11,239
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I can't clean as mentioned above so I do the drop snatch. Similarly amazing for stomping airs, IMHO. Explosive, eccentric, and requires your trunk stabilize a weight. And less technique/mobility required than for a full snatch. Just an idea for anyone else who can't clean.
    Yeah, that's a good move. But, no bumpers in my home gym (man would I love some, though) so for safety reasons I generally shy away from snatching.

    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Oh shit, NOW you've opened up a can of worms, haha. It gets technical (hip and knee angles, muscle activation) but essentially a multitude of studies have shown there is no significant difference in muscle activation between front and back squats.
    Well, if that's the case, just put the bar on your back and move more weight, eh?

    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    And I would argue for stomping airs that DEEP squats are key (yes power cleans are deep squats but NOBODY, except for Pyrros is doing them properly) for developing both the strength in the bottom range of motion and flexibility/stability of the knee.
    Well, like I said, the next day I'll feel it more in my back than my legs. I squat plenty too, though. It's been working for me. This was closing day at Snowbird this year the day before my 36th birthday (in total sun-baked mank):

    *Warning--Dickwaving Below*


  3. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    7,674

    Leg extensions. Worth it or worthless

    Awesome. Greased it. Ah, only to be 11yrs younger.....

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    3,106
    Fuck Iím 27 and I dont stomp that hard


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    5,058
    Meh, kinda flailed yer arms a bit.
    PE, Mechanical Engineering
    University of Bridger Bowl Alumnus
    Alpental Creeper

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    7,674
    Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Fuck Iím 27 and I dont stomp that hard


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Youíve got 10 yrs to practice.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Den/Baltimore
    Posts
    5,147
    Inspirational. I'm not 30 yet either but I def hope I'm skiing like that in my mid-30s and beyond.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

    photos

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5,653
    mid 40s should be your goal to ski like that. and he missed his grab, should done a couple more squats for that

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,605
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    mid 40s should be your goal to ski like that. and he missed his grab, should done a couple more squats for that
    Front squats for mobility gains

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Maple Syrup and Lumberjacks, eigh.
    Posts
    4,176
    Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Are air squats helpful/impactful? Say you do 100+
    I get leery loading big weight over weak knee. Viewed leg extension track movement safe to some extent. Timely topic as we gear up
    100% they are useful. Look up leg blasters. They'll kick your ass, and if you start today you'll kill it on day 1 of the season.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    11,239
    Thanks for giving me an excuse to post that video guys
    Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    100% they are useful. Look up leg blasters. They'll kick your ass, and if you start today you'll kill it on day 1 of the season.
    When it comes to leg blasters I think most of the magic happens in the jumping lunges and jumping squats. But, air squats are a fine conditioning exercise. You also have to have good mobility to do them with good form, so they're a good barometer in that respect.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    7,674
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Thanks for giving me an excuse to post that video guys When it comes to leg blasters I think most of the magic happens in the jumping lunges and jumping squats. But, air squats are a fine conditioning exercise. You also have to have good mobility to do them with good form, so they're a good barometer in that respect.
    Note to self, at BBIUtah, if following DTM and you start to see big rocks n cliffs, bang a hard left or right.

    Agreed on the air squats get their productivity from the jumping aspects.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    5,058
    Whatever, pussy, you've been doing the workouts. That's all you need to send big airs, right?
    PE, Mechanical Engineering
    University of Bridger Bowl Alumnus
    Alpental Creeper

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    3,106

    Leg extensions. Worth it or worthless

    That and you needa stretch dat sac a bit.. err well I do. Need bigger ballz!


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    5,058
    Oh yah, add sac tuggs to wrkoot, check!
    PE, Mechanical Engineering
    University of Bridger Bowl Alumnus
    Alpental Creeper

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    3,106
    Does hanging weights off der satchel help stomp?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    7,674

    Leg extensions. Worth it or worthless

    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Whatever, pussy, you've been doing the workouts. That's all you need to send big airs, right?
    Its not the sending that gitz ya....

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vacationland
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    leg extensions have been verboten for Knee-hab from every doc I've ever had. Haven't done them in damn near 30yrs.

    Work the glutes and hammy's, ride a bike if you want big quads.
    this, when I got into the knee surgery game it was 1983 and they were all about the extensions. now strictly verboten, any PT studio worth it's salt won't even have a machine in the shop for that exercise anymore

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,351
    Squat and deadlift should generally be the heart of it unless you're dealing with an injury or chronic condition. One leg variants are and split squats are great for working around problems. You can also go pretty heavy on weighted box steps and lunges, both of which resemble common movements in ski touring, but they aren't replacements for squats and deadlifts. If you can't squat or deadlift heavy they can be part of a strategy for filling a gap.

    For many people doing deadlifts less frequently than squats, and with fewer sets, is necessary for proper recovery. Alternating with a clean or snatch variant works well and can help reduce that quad dominance.

    I'm not sure why one would do back and front squats (or back and hack squats) on the same day, unless the goals is bodybuilding/hypertrophy, or the front squats are light and you're working to gain range of motions. Or if you're real serious about Olympic lifting. Otherwise, I'd recommend picking one and doing it well.

    Then choose another lift or movement that might help address a weakness, or have a benefit specific to a sport you'll soon be focusing on, and do it for a month. Next month pick something else. Some good choices are any olympic lift if you know how to do it well, some sort of "bear complex" or kettlebell complex for strength/power endurance, or lifts that address mobility issues like front squat and overhead squat. You might also do front squats for a month every so often instead of back squats. Front squats generally require less recovery than back squats because they're lighter, and are conducive to improved olympic lifts. During that same month go harder/ more frequent on snatches or cleans and jerks. If you're going to be booting a bunch of couloirs in the coming months do some weighted box steps and weighted calf raises. Variety is good for motivation, but it's also good to have some strategy behind variety.

    Jumping exercises like leg blasters are great, but I think there are limited benefits to doing the same thing all the time. You plateau pretty fast if you're already fit. Trying mixing it up: sprinting in the early summer (from sets of 5 sec. hill sprints to 200m repeats on a track) then add work to increase max box jump late summer. In the fall start leg blasters and some hiking/ trail running where you go fast downhill on somewhat technical trails. This will do much more to cultivating quick feet than something like jumping rope.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,180

    Leg extensions. Worth it or worthless

    I tried excersizing once, it was fucking horrible. I typically train with tequila but make sure to mix it up month to month with gin, beer, and occasionally whiskey just to really make it tuff on the bod, no pain no gain right? Train hard ski hard.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    4,691
    Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Squat and deadlift should generally be the heart of it unless you're dealing with an injury or chronic condition. One leg variants are and split squats are great for working around problems. You can also go pretty heavy on weighted box steps and lunges, both of which resemble common movements in ski touring, but they aren't replacements for squats and deadlifts. If you can't squat or deadlift heavy they can be part of a strategy for filling a gap.

    For many people doing deadlifts less frequently than squats, and with fewer sets, is necessary for proper recovery. Alternating with a clean or snatch variant works well and can help reduce that quad dominance.

    I'm not sure why one would do back and front squats (or back and hack squats) on the same day, unless the goals is bodybuilding/hypertrophy, or the front squats are light and you're working to gain range of motions. Or if you're real serious about Olympic lifting. Otherwise, I'd recommend picking one and doing it well.

    Then choose another lift or movement that might help address a weakness, or have a benefit specific to a sport you'll soon be focusing on, and do it for a month. Next month pick something else. Some good choices are any olympic lift if you know how to do it well, some sort of "bear complex" or kettlebell complex for strength/power endurance, or lifts that address mobility issues like front squat and overhead squat. You might also do front squats for a month every so often instead of back squats. Front squats generally require less recovery than back squats because they're lighter, and are conducive to improved olympic lifts. During that same month go harder/ more frequent on snatches or cleans and jerks. If you're going to be booting a bunch of couloirs in the coming months do some weighted box steps and weighted calf raises. Variety is good for motivation, but it's also good to have some strategy behind variety.

    Jumping exercises like leg blasters are great, but I think there are limited benefits to doing the same thing all the time. You plateau pretty fast if you're already fit. Trying mixing it up: sprinting in the early summer (from sets of 5 sec. hill sprints to 200m repeats on a track) then add work to increase max box jump late summer. In the fall start leg blasters and some hiking/ trail running where you go fast downhill on somewhat technical trails. This will do much more to cultivating quick feet than something like jumping rope.
    You kinda sound like you know what ur talkin about.
    Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    I tried excersizing once, it was fucking horrible. I typically train with tequila but make sure to mix it up month to month with gin, beer, and occasionally whiskey just to really make it tuff on the bod, no pain no gain right? Train hard ski hard.
    I am drinking tequila...giddeeup!


    My knees hate me, but I bike and do knee rehab stuff with just body weight. So far so good.

    And Dan, ditch the plate man. Best thing I did was having the doc unscrew that from my clavicle. Well worth it.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    2,724
    Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    Interesting.

    Do you go to a gym / physical therapist to do the work, or do you have a setup that you can use at home?
    I have a compex, costs about 150 or so. Do it at home.

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I can't clean as mentioned above so I do the drop snatch. Similarly amazing for stomping airs, IMHO. Explosive, eccentric, and requires your trunk stabilize a weight. And less technique/mobility required than for a full snatch. Just an idea for anyone else who can't clean.
    I have a herniated l4/5 in my back from a injury a few years ago that keeps me from squatting/deadlift/cleans. Any time I ramp up weight with those lifts my disc will bulge and i canít lift for about a month, Iíve completely dropped those lifts from my workouts. Iím guessing that drop snatch would be out for me too? Right now my power generating lifts are Bulgarians and legpress, which work well for me but those snatches look like an awesome addition.

    Thanks everyone for all the info, I just cut out extensions and replaced with glute ham raises for my leg days.



    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Den/Baltimore
    Posts
    5,147
    Yeah, probably out of the question. Drop snatch should only be attempted if you can overhead squat fine without pain. And OHS requires more mobility than a regular backsquat, especially in the shoulders and T-spine.

    It’s also possible you don’t have good enough mobility in your hips and ankles to hit depth in the squat so you have excessive flexion in your lumbar spine causing your herniated disk to hurt. Just a thought. If you’re able to hit parallel depth with a neutral spine then disregard.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

    photos

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Thanks for giving me an excuse to post that video guys When it comes to leg blasters I think most of the magic happens in the jumping lunges and jumping squats. But, air squats are a fine conditioning exercise. You also have to have good mobility to do them with good form, so they're a good barometer in that respect.
    I agree, but I think doing it while fatigued (from the lunges and air squats) probably matters too. I've done split jumps to near failure at the end of sets of hill sprints with good results. Great for when you're away from a gym.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •