Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Fuck Ventura.......

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    It's Ventura, why waste money on rent, just get a shopping cart and a pit bull. HQ is just a stones throw from the river bottom homeless camps.
    A van would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by WaistDeepGroomers View Post
    I mean duh, right?

Just surfed some long period hurricane swell.here in Maine, and thinking having that quality of surf on tap on an almost daily basis would be a lifestyle improvement I'd consider.

Wish me luck with the jerb interview (s)! I gotta impress almost a dozen people haha.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using TGR Forums mobile app
    Just pm me the pro form when you get it

And single? You be married, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I'm a Sagehen for my undergrad. It doesn't get much more Baldy-adjacent than that, and I have very fond memories of skiing there.

I took linear algebra and diff eq. at UCSB one summer. Damned if I haven't forgotten most of that by now, though.
    Nice, I came very close to going to Clairemont McKenna, but I chose UCSB instead.

Diff. eq AND linear algebra is a tough load for a six week summer school. I still use linear algebra all the time, but I have not used diff eq. since I took it, other than stochastic calculus which is different than regular differential equations. I really hated differential equations, my least favorite math other than Real Analysis.

Let me emphasize that you don't need a pow day to have fun at Baldy, you just need a base. The problem is, there are many seasons where you don't get that base. If the OP does make the move and hit Baldy, make sure to use skis you don't care about, you WILL hit some rocks.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

she doesn't care - stand by your man

Have you considered a job in Phoenix instead?
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

end of thread

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Have you considered a job in Phoenix instead?
    I was waiting for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

And here I thought Claremont was just for rich assholes and their kids ;-)

I live in Upland. Got a good bro who lives in the Carp and works at SBA. Carpinteria, that is a really cool little town.

I really like Ventura.

Carp is where you wanna rest your head

Living in Ventura?

^^ If I was working in Ventucky I’d probably live in Carp. Closer to SB but splitting the difference.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

x3 on Carpinteria if you can swing the lodging (it's probably a bit more $ and definitely fewer options than Ventura or SB). I spent two years there about a decade ago and my wife and I still go back at least 2x a year. It still feels like home and now we're taking my kid there to see it. Nice beaches, lots of great little spots to eat / drink (Island Brewing, the Apiary cidery, great burritos at Beach Liquor, the Spot, etc.) and just a super laid back vibe overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones View Post
    And here I thought Claremont was just for rich assholes and their kids ;-)

I live in Upland. Got a good bro who lives in the Carp and works at SBA. Carpinteria, that is a really cool little town.

I really like Ventura.
    Still waiting on the rich part, though I think I have the rest of it covered ...

Carp is great if you can find housing and want to live somewhere more relaxed.

I like Carp. I spend a lot of time there, and drink at Island brewery often, but it is a sleepy little town and down right boring, which is fine if that is what you are looking for. Ventura or Santa Barbara have a lot more activity, especially if you are single. Both have a lot more restaurants, brew pubs, theaters, museums, et al. Carp does have a nude beach again, so it does have that going for it over Ventura (but not SB.) Of course that is important only if you like to see naked old men and/or saggy tits (which are often one and the same.)

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I like Carp. I spend a lot of time there, and drink at Island brewery often, but it is a sleepy little town and down right boring, which is fine if that is what you are looking for. Ventura or Santa Barbara have a lot more activity, especially if you are single. Both have a lot more restaurants, brew pubs, theaters, museums, et al. Carp does have a nude beach again, so it does have that going for it over Ventura (but not SB.) Of course that is important only if you like to see naked old men and/or saggy tits (which are often one and the same.)
    Is that a reference to More Mesa? I would run on those trails and go for a swim in the buff before coming back across the beach.

Live in LA, Santa Monica specifically. The surf in Ventura is super consistent and surrounded by higher quality breaks than most of LA. I disagree with Hutash on that one, Ventura is excellent for surf, gets winter and summer swells (unlike SB which doesn't get diddly in the summer). Water is colder than LA/OC, but not Maine either.

I think Ventura has become a pretty cool small town. I would live either there or SB, but likely start in Ventura since its close to work, C-Street, and the downtown has become nicer with some options for the post work beer, etc.

We have grown to love Mammoth. Skied 60 days last year and was skiing in Mammoth or occasionally Tahoe (for mini Comish's races) every weekend from Dec through March. Someone had it right though, need a ski lease and willingness to drive or even better partner in crime to split the driving. We leave at 6 or 7pm and roll into Mammoth between 11 and midnight. Leave Sunday at 5pm and are home by 9:30pm. That is with 3 kids in tow.

My tune has changed a lot on Mammoth over the last 15 years. I now would take it over most mountains, certainly over Tahoe (low elevation = rain and less sustained steeps), most of CO (don't like bumps and want more snow), and OR. The only thing in my book we give up is deep blower of JH, Utah, or BC. Our pow comes in with a lotta wind and is in larger, but less frequent dumps. That said, our season goes from early Nov through at least Memorial Day, nearly every day is solid with the high elevation, north facing mtn, and wind machine over the top. The touring is endless in the Eastern Sierra if you are into that. The way I describe it is a lot of 6 to 7 days on a 10 pt scale, but not too many 9 and 10's ala a 12" pow day in JH.

Definitely wouldn't be a bad place to live for a few years.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Live in LA, Santa Monica specifically. The surf in Ventura is super consistent and surrounded by higher quality breaks than most of LA. I disagree with Hutash on that one, Ventura is excellent for surf, gets winter and summer swells (unlike SB which doesn't get diddly in the summer). Water is colder than LA/OC, but not Maine either.

I think Ventura has become a pretty cool small town. I would live either there or SB, but likely start in Ventura since its close to work, C-Street, and the downtown has become nicer with some options for the post work beer, etc.

We have grown to love Mammoth. Skied 60 days last year and was skiing in Mammoth or occasionally Tahoe (for mini Comish's races) every weekend from Dec through March. Someone had it right though, need a ski lease and willingness to drive or even better partner in crime to split the driving. We leave at 6 or 7pm and roll into Mammoth between 11 and midnight. Leave Sunday at 5pm and are home by 9:30pm. That is with 3 kids in tow.

My tune has changed a lot on Mammoth over the last 15 years. I now would take it over most mountains, certainly over Tahoe (low elevation = rain and less sustained steeps), most of CO (don't like bumps and want more snow), and OR. The only thing in my book we give up is deep blower of JH, Utah, or BC. Our pow comes in with a lotta wind and is in larger, but less frequent dumps. That said, our season goes from early Nov through at least Memorial Day, nearly every day is solid with the high elevation, north facing mtn, and wind machine over the top. The touring is endless in the Eastern Sierra if you are into that. The way I describe it is a lot of 6 to 7 days on a 10 pt scale, but not too many 9 and 10's ala a 12" pow day in JH.

Definitely wouldn't be a bad place to live for a few years.
    Impressed that you get that many days. I get 35-40, and that driving takes a toll on me. The hard part is that I drive from Newport, so I have to leave early in the morning on Saturday or get in at 2 am on Friday night. It is Friday evenings I find myself wishing I was up in northern LA.

I have also come around more to Mammoth. I loved it when I skied it during college weekends, but when I moved to Tahoe for half a decade and skied Squaw everyday I really did not miss Mammoth. I love Squaw, it has better steeps than Mammoth, but I would take Mammoth in a below average year, and we have had lots of below average years lately. Last season there was a storm system in late November that put down a good base. I was skiing the dropouts regularly in late November and early December even though everyone thought the conditions sucked. I got good turns before the March storms really set things up. My buddies up north said those November storms were mostly rain and that Squaw sucked during that period. Mammoth is more of a sure bet than Squaw. Having said that, I can't tell you how many times I've seen huge storms get turned into wind buff on the top of Mammoth, which is still fun to ski, but not blower. That being said, if you get the noids in deep snow that is not wind packed it is pretty nuts. Still, I've had my best skiing experiences at Squaw, and since I'm a weekender I doubt that will change. But Mammoth is definitely one of the best mountains in North America, I would rather ski there than anywhere in Colorado except Silverton, which is in a different category. I have not skied Crested Butte or Telluride, so I might change my tune if I hit up those places, but Mammoth blows the doors off places like Vail and Breck. It's one of the most underrated mountains in North America.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

SB proper doesn't get much surf because it's island-shaded. Ventura has issues in parts, silverstrand is better from memory, but the advantage of being north is you are further from the LA crowds. what matters more than the town name is the actual living situation you get into. I lucked into a place near the beach for a reasonable price and that was awesome at the time, for me. I was more into the mountains at the time and imo the drive to the eastern sierra after a while is a soul-sucking grind, which is sad, because the last 100 miles or so are gorgeous. If you are happy in the local surf and mountains, it's a pretty nice location. It also depends how much scratch you have leftover and your network. I wish I'd had the resources to explore the channel islands more, as well as spent more time locally in the mountains instead of wasting it, somewhat, on car trips to the Sierra (as awesome as they are)

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    ...I wish I'd ... spent more time locally in the mountains instead of wasting it, somewhat, on car trips to the Sierra (as awesome as they are)
    That’s a good point. The Santa Ynez/coastal mountain range is surprising when you get to exploring. There are a lot of fascinating places to explore, chaparral, oaks, Douglas-fir, and springs and rivers. Okay, there’re no high mountains or skiing, but I’ve been pretty amazed in that country. I was on a fire crew on the Los Padres and got to see some dope shit, as the kids say.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    That’s a good point. The Santa Ynez/coastal mountain range is surprising when you get to exploring. There are a lot of fascinating places to explore, chaparral, oaks, Douglas-fir, and springs and rivers. Okay, there’re no high mountains or skiing, but I’ve been pretty amazed in that country. I was on a fire crew on the Los Padres and got to see some dope shit, as the kids say.
    mountain lions, 'yotes, deer, views, and few people. the mountains behind SB and towards the west are one of the least populated areas in california, and almost certainly the least visited.

Actually some of the ugliest mountains around. Definitely some gem spots here and there, but over all I'm not impressed. Mostly big pils of dirt with stubby plants. Some riparian zones are pretty nice. As are some of the oak woodlands, but those are more in the hill areas and less in the mountains. Good place to bury dead hookers, though.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Hey folks,

Wanted to update yall. No dice on the aforementioned job, so no.socal in my future. All good though, got a good prospect at my current org so I'll be happy. Thanks again for the.tips!

Sent from my moto g(6) play using TGR Forums mobile app
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.