Trail Runner for High Instep, normal width?

Any trail runner recommendations for normal 13 D sized foot but with a super high instep. Wide widths end up being too sloppy in heel, etc. My NB Leadville sort of worked, but its gone and its replacement Hierro has a scree shield deal that really cranks down on the instep. REI recommended La Sportiva Raptor and Bushido, both still too tight, and I’ve tried some Saucany and Salomon models to no avail.

I just picked up some Altra Lone Peak 4s that, with some lacing adjustment might work—the rest of the fit is super comfortable and I know this shoe is very popular on the PCT and AT.

Can a similar high instep/regular width dude drop some knowledge? Intended use is short distance trail runs and as go-to backpacking shoe

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Similar foot -- high instep/volume with normal width. Can't do La Sportiva or Salomon.

I put 40 miles on some new Lone Peak 4s this weekend and loved them. Only issue was that I already tore through some fabric at the 'cuff'. You might also consider the Altra TIMP which I understand to be heavier but more stable.

The Altra's replaced a pair of Inov-8 Roclite 295s that held up incredibly well for ~3 years. You could take a look at those, which are often found on sale. The other shoe I would consider is the Cascadia which is now equally popular on the AT.

Are the LP4s better at sidehilling than previous iterations? The previous models sucked IMO when things got off-camber.

Got about 50 miles on Lone Peak 4s, great shoe. Fits true to my size (10.5). I have a high instep and they feel great.

Quote Originally Posted by fmac View Post
    You might also consider the Altra TIMP which I understand to be heavier but more stable.
    +1

On my third pair - I replace them fairly often, but a small price to pay. Shape of the lace pattern works well with my tall hoof. Very stable, good cushion, <average wear. Long runs and many +20 mi approaches. Great shoe. Comfy like a slipper.

I had good luck with La Sportiva Ultra Raptor - a great grippy shoe for the crappy rock here in the CO elks. Took about 20 miles to break in, has a little drop so I don't like as much for pure running. But great for mtn running with a high peak at the end
    Last edited by MiddleOfNight; 10-14-2018 at 11:51 AM. Reason: fix the alligator mouth

Where do you run primarily, Three Ridges? Most folks who run trails really don't need "trail shoes".

In the absence of additional, and, in particular, more specific, information regarding your running endeavors, I say find a shoe that works well for you and go with that for the time being.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

I use the trail runners mostly for lightweight hiking shoes. I ended months of trials with the following beta, most useful for high instep, normal arch, normal width, YMMV

Don’t even try if you have a medium high – very high instep
    Nike Wildhorse, NB Hiero. The scree collar upper is way too tight.

Might work for medium high instep: Terraventure, Lone Peak 4. I really, really wanted the Lone Peak to work, its a great shoe, but the upper is just too tight in height where the laces start for me, despite having a nice wide toe box.

What worked: Atra Timps, Brooks Cascadia 13 (both one size larger than my normal). The Timps are super comfortable, a little looser than I am used to but not a problem to date. I’m also still in the stock insoles and thin soles, so plenty of fine tuning available if needed. I’m thinking there’s no way distance hike feet swelling will be a problem in these shoes. The Cascadia 13 has a larger toe box and better instep situation than the Cascadia 12 version, and is a very stable shoe, a bit more snug feeling than the Timps. I have both, namely for situations where the unconventional look of the Timps might be an issue, like traveling where I’m trying to get away with trail runners in non-backcountry social situations, or hikes with terrain where I might want the slightly more snug fit.

Anyone tried the Topo Athletic Runventure 2?

I have a moderately high instep. I like my solomon sense rides

Trail buddy on the PCT used brooks cascadias and had both high arches and i think normal/ narrow feet. Extremely popular on the PCT and she still recommends them/

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeRidges View Post
    I use the trail runners mostly for lightweight hiking shoes. I ended months of trials with the following beta, most useful for high instep, normal arch, normal width, YMMV

Don’t even try if you have a medium high – very high instep
    Nike Wildhorse, NB Hiero. The scree collar upper is way too tight.

Might work for medium high instep: Terraventure, Lone Peak 4. I really, really wanted the Lone Peak to work, its a great shoe, but the upper is just too tight in height where the laces start for me, despite having a nice wide toe box.

What worked: Atra Timps, Brooks Cascadia 13 (both one size larger than my normal). The Timps are super comfortable, a little looser than I am used to but not a problem to date. I’m also still in the stock insoles and thin soles, so plenty of fine tuning available if needed. I’m thinking there’s no way distance hike feet swelling will be a problem in these shoes. The Cascadia 13 has a larger toe box and better instep situation than the Cascadia 12 version, and is a very stable shoe, a bit more snug feeling than the Timps. I have both, namely for situations where the unconventional look of the Timps might be an issue, like traveling where I’m trying to get away with trail runners in non-backcountry social situations, or hikes with terrain where I might want the slightly more snug fit.

Curious — what boot do you ski in?