Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 47 of 47
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    19,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    I haven’t fully given up hope with them, but this last effort was easily their worst imo. I did enjoy a few of the tunes tho. They just played two shows in my area over the past year, their first show didn’t sell out the arena and their second show was at a smaller venue around half the size, not sure if they sold out there or not. 4-5 years ago they were playing venues twice the size of that arena. The market agrees with you


    The Shins
    That's me. Finger on the pulse.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    New Haven Line heading north
    Posts
    2,578
    Billy Joel was recently interviewed (60 minutes?) and was asked about his lack of musical output over the last 20 years. His response was that people didn't like the new stuff, so he wasn't going to waste his time doing it.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    2,032
    Chevy Chase

    Honestly though, I never liked him that much. Every character he played was kind of a dick or a total dick.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    32,014
    Ha, I read that last night, and, a little over halfway through, thought, isn't this way too many words for this subject?

    I did learn that he was a homey, though. Lots of those people up in the woods.

    Also, he played in a band with the Steely Dan dudes.

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    4,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Ooh, I just thought of one in the gym. Rod Stewart. Beck Ola was one of the first albums I ever owned, and it was bad ass. Didn't know it the time, but definitely Jeff Becks response to Jimmy's Zep once they both split off from the Yardbirds. Stewart was not yet big in America, but he was a huge star in England with the Faces. They were very influential. He didn't stay with Beck long, of course, became a huge star, and Every Picture Tells A Story is classic, if not where he starts his downhill slide. Maggie May is a top ten early yacht rock hit, for sure, but, there are some great recordings on that album. You have to remember that he was the ballsiest white rock/blues singer at the time. Then, he just went to shit. Cocaine and the finest groupies in the world. Married a few. Poor him.
    Currently on tour with Cyndi Lauper, fwiw...

    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    19,519
    Rod Stewart is over played garbage and never hasn't been.
    Everytime I hear Maggie I want to throw the radio out of my car.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    2,032
    Stewart was a good fit for bluesy Jeff Beck. The split happened because Ron Wood and Rod didn't get along. I think it panned out good for both Beck and Stewart. Beck went off in the more progressive rock, instrumental Freeway jam direction and Stewart made tons of cash with the yacht rock.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    32,014
    Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Currently on tour with Cyndi Lauper, fwiw...


    Both a shell of themselves. I just heard SheBop on the radio the other day. What an awesome song. About masturbation.

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    lake level
    Posts
    1,124
    Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Pains me to say, but Michael Franti. Used to be a more political and had an edge, now he’s all about the sound of sunshine
    Agreed.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    lake level
    Posts
    1,124
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Rod Stewart is over played garbage and never hasn't been.
    Everytime I hear Maggie I want to throw the radio out of my car.
    Also agree. Most of the other bands listed I thought were shit to begin with. Metallica did go to shit, but I thought Hardwired was solid redemption. The one that stands out to me is Zeppelin/Robert Plant. Oh, and Axl Rose.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    475
    Her first album remains a classic, so I don't want to diss her too hard, but jeez, Lucinda Williams was all too quick to decide that she'd just ride her somewhat-fame doing bluesy-whiny for album after album.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Posts
    9,892
    Neil Young is teetering on getting an entry in this category. Most of his more recent albums just don’t do it for me (Monsanto Years, just fucken shoot me)...though I like the recent issue of Tonight’s the Night Live at the Roxy, but that just kind of reinforces my point.
    I swear on my glass eye,

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    7,684
    In the category of "other artists," Nicholas Cage. Dude has some great movies on his resume, but he's had a fairly precipitous decline since '05-ish.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,990
    De Niro

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    32,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Neil Young is teetering on getting an entry in this category. Most of his more recent albums just don’t do it for me (Monsanto Years, just fucken shoot me)...though I like the recent issue of Tonight’s the Night Live at the Roxy, but that just kind of reinforces my point.

    He's still great live. For an old hippie. Doesn't look too good, though.

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    475
    Neil gets an unlimited pass for putting out something as great as Ragged Glory, decades after his early classics. But yeah, he'll release just about anything he farts out; A Letter Home, WTF??

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    4,871
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    In the category of "other artists," Nicholas Cage. Dude has some great movies on his resume, but he's had a fairly precipitous decline since '05-ish.
    While I agree, I would humbly suggest checking out his latest, Mandy.
    It's gonzo off-the-nuts bonkers...



    Also, there's a pretty great recent interview (see link below) with Cage floating around online where he gets all into ontology. Not sure if I totally agree with what he's saying (it seems a bit pretentious), but it's intriguing nonetheless...this story references the interview he did with Indiewire where he delves into ontology and how it relates to his performances:
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...net-meme-mandy
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    De Niro
    Seriously. Is he in deep with loansharks or something?

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    7,684
    Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post

    Also, there's a pretty great recent interview (see link below) with Cage floating around online where he gets all into ontology. Not sure if I totally agree with what he's saying (it seems a bit pretentious), but it's intriguing nonetheless...this story references the interview he did with Indiewire where he delves into ontology and how it relates to his performances:
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...net-meme-mandy
    Haven't seen mandy, but I'll probably rent it eventually.

    But Cage's interview seems like kind of a cop out. He's saying his super over the top acting is very deliberate and planned. Maybe that's true, but it sure doesn't make it good. Especially when he does it in basically every movie he's been in for the last 10 years, regardless of the plot, direction, or mood of the film.

    ETA: He's also just gotten involved in a whole lot of really shitty movies. Dude won an Oscar. He needs to learn how to say no. Or maybe he just needs a better agent.
    Last edited by toast2266; 10-01-2018 at 12:36 PM.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SE USA
    Posts
    1,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    Seriously. Is he in deep with loansharks or something?
    maybe justalitlbit
    "Can't you see..."

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Posts
    10,437
    from the good shits of amboy dukes journey to the center of your mind to stranglehold and even cats scratch fever
    the Nuge rapidly wango tangoed his way into shitty poliasswhipe talking head for the right wing
    via the boob tube reality shit show route of course
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -
    ski on in eternal peace

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    32,014
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Haven't seen mandy, but I'll probably rent it eventually.

    But Cage's interview seems like kind of a cop out. He's saying his super over the top acting is very deliberate and planned. Maybe that's true, but it sure doesn't make it good. Especially when he does it in basically every movie he's been in for the last 10 years, regardless of the plot, direction, or mood of the film.

    ETA: He's also just gotten involved in a whole lot of really shitty movies. Dude won an Oscar. He needs to learn how to say no. Or maybe he just needs a better agent.
    He got into serious financial trouble around the financial crash. Real estate, duh. So, you gotta do what you gotta do, I guess. Watch Johnny Depp maybe turn that way too. He blew all of his money, which was an awful lot. Yes, Real estate was a culprit.

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •