Volkl- Germany and China

Hey, what gives? I just picked up a pair of 17-18 116 volkl bashes. The sticker on the back of the plastic wrap around the skis says a couple things in German. But then the ski says made in China, engineered in Germany. But my 17-18 confessions say made in Germany.

I thought volkl was back in Germany for all their stuff as of a couple years ago. The last volkls I had that were from China (that I remember anyways, the below mentioned One's could have been) were Kuros with the see-through side wall that cracked.

I also had volkl ones for a couple seasons, and don't remember where those were made. Anyway, just curious if anyone knows what's up with the dual production. Are they just doing their higher-end stuff in Germany? I guess it really doesn't make a difference but I would prefer something made in Germany over something made in China just because you pay for it in the name of volkl (which I equate to quality) For instance, K2 Skis can typically be had for $100 to $150 cheaper than Volkls. I always assumed this was because their production was in China, I guess it could also have to do with their volume.

I just checked both my 17-18 v-werks katanas and 18-19 bmt 109s and they both say made in Germany as well. Did someone else produce the Volkl Bashes for Volkl? Whatever, I loved The Ones, so if they're anything like that I guess it doesn't matter.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using TGR Forums mobile app

That bullshit is why I’m skiing ON3P this year....

Take for instance my daughters German made watering can verse her Chinese made one. The German one on the left is going to last 20 years. The one on the left, well you are lucky if the spout stays on it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0907181617.jpeg 
Views:	139 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	246593

Sent from my LM-G710VM using TGR Forums mobile app
    My japanese-made 99 Tacoma was about as solid as could be compared to my 2007 USA made Tacoma

The fit and finish of my fathers old vw's verse my friends new Mexican made VW is not as aparent but still noticeable if you have been in an old one.

Back a few years when I worked in the shop, all the Volkls with metal in the layup were "made in Germany" and all the skis that did not have metal in them were "engineered in Germany" (aka China)

Go read the Retail Hell NYC thread. This thread should parallel.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

I remember at one point several years back hearing that Mantras and everything narrower were made in Germany, and all the fatter skis in China, shortly thereafter the "Engineered in Germany" stickers started showing up on all kinds of their skis.
    Gravity Junkie

Cheaper production in China. At least Volkl passed on the savings to the consumer. Hahahahaha. Just kidding. They just made more money.