• EPIC PASS

27 23.68%
  • OTHER PASS

27 23.68%
  • NO PASS

3 2.63%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Is this the first season for the Beavers at A Basin?

That place is already a shit show at times due to the Epic pass. I do find it odd that Loveland would price themselves higher then A Basin.
    First year of lift served at the Beavers.

Loveland is priced higher because Loveland doesn't make most of its money off of Vails teet (aka Epic passes) like Abasin does. It relies on people that are willing to pay a premium to avoid the shitshow of most other front range spots.

I'm one of them.

Is this the first season for the Beavers at A Basin?

That place is already a shit show at times due to the Epic pass. I do find it odd that Loveland would price themselves higher then A Basin.
    First season with a lift in the Beavers. The Basin is actually pretty manageable once you get past the parking. If you stay on Pali, and now the Beavers, it is pretty easy to find solitude most days. Beavers will spread people way out. I'm hoping that the amount of people who switched to Ikon will mellow things out quite a bit too. Looking forward to this season regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    First season with a lift in the Beavers. The Basin is actually pretty manageable once you get past the parking. If you stay on Pali, and now the Beavers, it is pretty easy to find solitude most days. Beavers will spread people way out.
    Yeah, I guess I should of clarified. It is a shit show early and late season when the other resorts are not open.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

If I knew Loveland was going to have crowds at levels of say 10+ years ago, I'd pay the $400. But crowds like the last few years? Last year I felt like Loveland was only my choice for very early season and very late. I can't justify $400 for slightly less crowded hill when $300 more gets me 4 ski hills in CO that I care about + Jackson and Altabird...

Loveland should offer a basic pass for less $ because I don't give a crap about how their season pass includes "19 mountains of the Powder Alliance". 3 Days at Ski Hesparus and Ski Cooper? OH BOY! OK I care about Monarch and Targhee... but Targhee requires $144 lodging (minimum) per night to use the tix.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Yeah, I guess I should of clarified. It is a shit show early and late season when the other resorts are not open.
    That is for sure. It does suck when you get a big dump in "Third Season" and can't enjoy it because of the crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Loveland is priced higher because Loveland doesn't make most of its money off of Vails teet (aka Epic passes) like Abasin does. It relies on people that are willing to pay a premium to avoid the shitshow of most other front range spots.

I'm one of them.
    If loveland had decent terrain I might agree but it is a pretty boring mountain. Especially when they aren't bootlicking the ridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    If I knew Loveland was going to have crowds at levels of say 10+ years ago, I'd pay the $400. But crowds like the last few years? I can't justify $400 for one hill when $300 more gets me 4 ski hills in CO that I care about + Jackson and Altabird...

Loveland should offer a basic pass for less $ because I don't give a crap about how their season pass includes "19 mountains of the Powder Alliance". 3 Days at Ski Hesparus and Ski Cooper? OH BOY! OK I care about Monarch and Targhee... but Targhee requires $144 lodging (minimum) per night to use the tix.
    Agreed, Monarch might make it worth it, but you get days there with the Silverton pass for $149. Targhee is awesome, and ya know what? The day tix at Targhee aren't that bad anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    If I knew Loveland was going to have crowds at levels of say 10+ years ago, I'd pay the $400. But crowds like the last few years? Last year I felt like Loveland was only my choice for very early season and very late. I can't justify $400 for slightly less crowded hill when $300 more gets me 4 ski hills in CO that I care about + Jackson and Altabird...

I think the calculus is a bit different for people who mostly ski on weekends and live in Denver. If I lived in Summit and could ski mostly mid week I'd totally agree. But fuck dealing with the tunnel or chaos i've seen at MJ last few years.

I caught a bunch of mid week powder days at basin last year I felt like were a shit show all over the mountain. Things I thought of as private stashes crushed by 10am. Lower lot full by 8am on a weeday. People standing in line at 8am on a powder day for lifts open at 9. Pretty bummed about the whole thing really.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    I caught a bunch of mid week powder days at basin last year I felt like were a shit show all over the mountain. Things I thought of as private stashes crushed by 10am. Lower lot full by 8am on a weeday. People standing in line at 8am on a powder day for lifts open at 9. Pretty bummed about the whole thing really.
    You are lying, there were no midweek pow days last year. In fact, I think Christmas day was the only pow day of the entire season and the place was pretty mellow. God I hope this season is better.

IT'S TIME FOR A VOTE: EPIC PASS VS. IKON PASS

Since my local resort (Stevens Pass) got gobbled up by Vail, got Bandit Jr and myself an Epic Local Pass. That way we can snag a few days at Whistler and head down to Tahoe if El Niño kicks in and pulls all the moisture south. No brained for me.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

dunno what you people are talking about with crowds at Loveland. I skied there 25 days last year and only saw anything approaching what would be a real crowd on one day, a 14" midweek pow day. Only day I saw a real lift line there all season, and everyone was gone by 10:30am.

Ikon Base here. Didn’t really even consider Epic.

I checked my mail today to find a big bright yellow envelope. Within said envelope, was the sweetest, kindest gift any skier could ask for. A big blue map dotted with most of the nation's finest ski resorts, a bunch of kewl stickers to grace my hydroflask and maybe even my Land Rover's window while road-tripping this winter to all of those resorts like Jackson, AltaBird, Brighton, Aspen, etc etc etc. The sweetest gift I found was an Ikon pass with my name and picture on it! That was one lucky purchase, at the insane discounted price of $479 for a medical student with some black outs that don't matter to me anyway.

Now, I've got a four more months to rehab my knee post meniscus repair before my ski rotation. Who's with me?