Page 69 of 79 FirstFirst ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 1953
    The new shuttles are garbage. It's like loading an airplane with all your shit.

Never gonna work on a busy day. Bring back the trucks and trailers !

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stairmaster View Post
    The new shuttles are garbage. It's like loading an airplane with all your shit.

Never gonna work on a busy day. Bring back the trucks and trailers !

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    Do you have to pay extra for checked luggage?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I saw multiple occasions last year while the wagons were pulling away, some buffoon would try and jump aboard the moving shuttle (in ski boots nonetheless), makes you wonder if someone got run over and sued, thus causing the switch from trailers to enclosed bus?

To their credit, Alterra management seems to finally have gotten the access road scene together.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Fishskisurf View Post
    I saw multiple occasions last year while the wagons were pulling away, some buffoon would try and jump aboard the moving shuttle (in ski boots nonetheless), makes you wonder if someone got run over and sued, thus causing the switch from trailers to enclosed bus?
    Apparently, the FS or WSDOT or someone came by and told them that they can't use the open air trailers anymore because they're not legal on the roadway under the FS/WSDOT purview (can't remember which) of which Crystal Mountain Blvd techincally is. Even though it's Crystal who plows it...

I’m almost 2 years post ACL and other physical issues which have prevented me from skiing and I’m itching to get back on the hill. The things I miss most about skiing have clearly departed and I now need to forge into the deep wilderness with a D8 dozer and create my own rope tow circa 1920 to pioneer a new place to go have fun. What have I missed?

Quote Originally Posted by brown9 View Post
    I’m almost 2 years post ACL and other physical issues which have prevented me from skiing and I’m itching to get back on the hill. The things I miss most about skiing have clearly departed and I now need to forge into the deep wilderness with a D8 dozer and create my own rope tow circa 1920 to pioneer a new place to go have fun. What have I missed?
    What do you miss about skiing? I was at xtal twice last week and it was extremely fun despite corpski shenanigans.

It sure would be nice if they replaced the classic National Forest Ski Area sign that's missing.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Forgot to check, but did Alterra really take down the retro Crystal sign on the boulevard? Didn't fit in with their "Crystal Reimagined!" marketing bs?

Name:  Screenshot (155).png
Views: 761
Size:  558.2 KB

While they are at it, bring back the old Crystal logo. The new one looks like it was designed by a 4th grader on their first time playing around with computer graphic design.

Old logo
    Name:  Screenshot (154).png
Views: 765
Size:  105.1 KB

I'm seeing hints on social media that JK might have died. Did he? Anyone know anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I'm seeing hints on social media that JK might have died. Did he? Anyone know anything?
    Yep. Yesterday after another battle with cancer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Bunion posted this about Kircher:

https://www.explorebigsky.com/a-ski-...es-at-64/47590

Does his widow still patrol at Crystal or did she quit when they sold to Alterra?

John K seemed like a decent guy. When skiing xtal regularly, I never thought I'd miss him... but the mgmt has clearly devolved since he sold.

It was refreshing to see him bumping chairs and doing the little shit with his employees. And just skiing around and enjoying the place, smiling and chatting with familiar folks. Saw him like every other time I skied.

RIP, skier.

In hindsight there’s a big cultural void now that’s quite obvious

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

He'll forever be remembered as the Howard Schultz of the PNW ski world. Both were not from the PNW, had oogles of money but chose to sell something beloved by the community to out of towners.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    He'll forever be remembered as the Howard Schultz of the PNW ski world. Both were not from the PNW, had oogles of money but chose to sell something beloved by the community to out of towners.
    That might be going a bit far. When the Sonics left town, they left town. It's not like Alterra moved Crystal Mountain to Oklahoma or something.

I've always thought it very interesting how soon after purchasing the mountain he sold it to Alterra.....

RIP JK. He was indeed a decent guy, always up for a chat or a howdy. And as much as I sometimes rolled my eyes at his management decisions in those days, I sure wish he was still there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    John K seemed like a decent guy. When skiing xtal regularly, I never thought I'd miss him... but the mgmt has clearly devolved since he sold.

It was refreshing to see him bumping chairs and doing the little shit with his employees. And just skiing around and enjoying the place, smiling and chatting with familiar folks. Saw him like every other time I skied.

RIP, skier.
    Yep. A good guy.

AD - Kim was head of patrol the last few years before the sale after which she left and they moved to Big Sky.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    That might be going a bit far. When the Sonics left town, they left town. It's not like Alterra moved Crystal Mountain to Oklahoma or something.
    True, but the Sonics can easily be replaced with an expansion team where as Crystal cannot.

Maybe his health problems played into his decision to sell. I wouldn't want to deal with managing a ski area while dying of cancer. I just have a hard time understanding rich people, not just Kircher, but all rich people. If I was rich, and especially if I was rich and new I would be dying soon, I would do something financial crazy like transfer the ski area back to the community as a non-profit, like Bridger Bowl. Or at least find a local ownership group to take over. It's not like any of his heirs will be hurting for money, given they are all the offspring of Boyne.

His diagnosis was only late last year.

How about you shut the fuck up.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    True, but the Sonics can easily be replaced with an expansion team where as Crystal cannot.

I just have a hard time understanding rich people, ……
    This is probably why your not rich……

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    How about you shut the fuck up.
    Ok Brit, why did he decide to sell to Alterra? To me, when you own something like a ski resort, or a professional sports team, you owe it to the community to not only manage the investment for your own financial return, but also manage it in the best interest of the community. Don't like this, or don't like the public scrutiny that comes with it, don't buy things that the community rallies around, like ski resorts or pro sports.

His decision to sell to Alterra was one of the most monumental moments in PNW ski industry history. It not only has dramatic effects on Crystal, but has ripple affects to other areas as well.

Crystal Mountain Becomes Alterra

I continue to be entertained by the notion that a ski area isn’t a business and that the owners run it for the love of the community. Maybe 2, 3, 4 decades ago. Not anymore.

A romantic notion for a long gone era…
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Then why doesn't Baker sell to Vail? Why doesn't White Pass sell to Alterra?

Oregon, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming are all devoid of Alterra and Vail owned resorts. It's not inevitable that every ski area is going to be gobbled up by these corporate bohemeths. You don't have to run Crystal as a charity but you also don't have to sell to Alterra to make money at Crystal.

The Vail/Alterra owned resorts in the West are all centered in CO, UT, CA, and Whistler. These are the destination resorts in the West and it makes sense for corporate entities to gobble these up and run them like Amazon, extracting every available cent from the paying public. But why do these corporate overlords need to infiltrate our rainy little corner of the skiing world? We're not destination resorts. They just want to squeeze our balls.