Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24
    Well, it sounds like more picnic tables and large umbrellas for the masses! But seriously, I'm thinking Alterra will put window dressing on the problem as long as the public keeps buying the Ikon pass and filling up the parking lot, why spend for CapEx improvements? It's about investor returns for KSL. I do get a kick out of the irony that is the description for Alterra; A hospitality company....
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    FWIW, I don’t think Crystal is the potential cash cow compared to other areas. There just isn’t enough skier access. Everyone who skis there needs to drive up 410 and the blvd; which can only support so much traffic. Current lodging, water, and power situation will keep it from ever being a large scale destination resort. Even with expanded parking, shuttle services and a new day lodge you just can’t get that many people into the valley. It will be interesting if the SEA/TAC demand bump is enough to push Altera to significantly raise prices on ikon passes.
    Skiing as currently envisioned esp. in N America is not a cash cow in volume but as a premium good. Access doesn’t matter within reason,demand from the right people does.

Lots of Ikonic behavior witnessed over the 3 day weekend, tough to pick out a favorite.
    It was encouraging to overhear several groups wondering if they could get prorated refunds on their 5 packs, etc.
    Sincerely hope whoever was involved in the situation requiring the helicopter is going to be okay.
    Chronic Complainer Experiencing Ikon Cognitive Dissonance Since 2018

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Skiing as currently envisioned esp. in N America is not a cash cow in volume but as a premium good. Access doesn’t matter within reason,demand from the right people does.
    This. Demand for Ikon amongst Am-holes and their techy ilk is close to inelastic so long as Crystal remains unrestricted. I'm sure at this point Alterra realizes that.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    their techy ilk
    Tesla.

Am-holes
    During last nights monsoon commute was nearly sideswiped on I90 by a young Indian kid who was picking his nose whilst aquaplaning his BMW M4 into my lane.

I know they have monsoons in the sub-continent, maybe they're just not used to cars developed at the Nurburgring?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    There used to be many small 1-2 lift mom and pop places all over WA.
    Which ones? Where? Not in the last 30 to 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Knocker View Post
    Which ones? Where? Not in the last 30 to 40 years.
    Google lost ski areas of Washington. You’d be surprised. Most more than 30 years ago but lots of little places.

If you vet a list like this http://lostskiareas.wikidot.com you'll see that about 2/3 of that list never ever existed, and most of the rest were rope tows up for a year or two 80 to 60 years ago.

About the only places that really ever existed were Pilchuck and Milwaukee.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    maybe they're just not used to cars
    That, and to be fair, the ruts on I90 often require a person to have at least a second-level tech support rating and both hands on the wheel. Unless autopilot is engaged, of course.
    Chronic Complainer Experiencing Ikon Cognitive Dissonance Since 2018

If you vet a list like this http://lostskiareas.wikidot.com you'll see that about 2/3 of that list never ever existed, and most of the rest were rope tows up for a year or two 80 to 60 years ago.

That’s totally wrong. There are several places on that list that were operational into the’70s with surface lifts and chairs. I know people who grew up skiing them.

Quote Originally Posted by fullStack View Post
    That, and to be fair, the ruts on I90 often require a person to have at least a second-level tech support rating and both hands on the wheel. Unless autopilot is engaged, of course.
    Those ruts on I90 are death in the pouring rain. I'd rather have snow. I stay far, far away from them in monsoon conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by fullStack View Post
    autopilot is engaged, of course.
    It's going to cut down on the number of accidents while texting in Gujarati too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Status Pass existed for a couple decades as rope tows. Snow Problem there as well.

You’d be surprised at the number of small areas in the west that still operate, most of them aren’t cool enough for most people to get any attention. I’ve been skiing some of these places while on road trips the last couple years, there’s still $40 lift tickets and $3 beers out there
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”