Page 51 of 79 FirstFirst ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1963
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    The Cinnamon rolls at Wapiti are phenomenal. Affogato after a spring day is also outstanding.

Also what’s up with the replacement for Greenwater Skis? I get a little worried any time something is called “collective.”
    The folks who took over GW skis are good people as are the new owners of Wapitis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by CnRzG View Post
    Changed the entire character of the mountain. Before the lift, you could get easily five untracked runs in there. The last time I was at Crustal, two lift rides and most was tracked out.
    That is the corporate ski model, more skiers on the same acreage. This maximizes profit while not increasing operational costs. A place like Jackson Hole has 6 or 8 folded uphill capacity on basically the same amount of acreage. It is the exact opposite of what a company would do if they were trying to deliver a better product, but that is not what these big corporations give a shit about. All they care about is maximizing their profit.

They get degrees from colleges and learn this business model. Another key to it all is austerity within all departments. This means cost cutting in the form of less grooming, less snowmaking, shittier food, closed terrain. Of course, the biggest expense is employees, this is when they try to clear out the longer tenured higher paid middle management and professionals. Replacing them with visa workers, lower paid seasonals, or simply working less people harder.

We are all seeing the results of this monopolized mega ski corp cannibalization of once revered ski hills. All this illegal monopolization of the industry is happening on public lands with the approval of the desk jockey's in the Forest Service. Profits, of course, leave the local communities going straight to Wall Street. As these corporate leaches suck the life blood from communities, they leave a hollowed out, homogenous, and worse skiing experience while workers are underpaid, housing is unattainable, traffic explodes, and real estate plays abound. Local politicians moonlight as real estate agents, collusion between the big three abounds, pockets are greased. The wholesale acceptance of this by the general public is maybe the saddest thing of it all, like frogs in the boiling pot of water, we just sit around in a THC haze and let it happen to us.

Quote Originally Posted by dunderhead View Post
    That is the corporate ski model, more skiers on the same acreage. This maximizes profit while not increasing operational costs. A place like Jackson Hole has 6 or 8 folded uphill capacity on basically the same amount of acreage. It is the exact opposite of what a company would do if they were trying to deliver a better product, but that is not what these big corporations give a shit about. All they care about is maximizing their profit.

They get degrees from colleges and learn this business model. Another key to it all is austerity within all departments. This means cost cutting in the form of less grooming, less snowmaking, shittier food, closed terrain. Of course, the biggest expense is employees, this is when they try to clear out the longer tenured higher paid middle management and professionals. Replacing them with visa workers, lower paid seasonals, or simply working less people harder.

We are all seeing the results of this monopolized mega ski corp cannibalization of once revered ski hills. All this illegal monopolization of the industry is happening on public lands with the approval of the desk jockey's in the Forest Service. Profits, of course, leave the local communities going straight to Wall Street. As these corporate leaches suck the life blood from communities, they leave a hollowed out, homogenous, and worse skiing experience while workers are underpaid, housing is unattainable, traffic explodes, and real estate plays abound. Local politicians moonlight as real estate agents, collusion between the big three abounds, pockets are greased. The wholesale acceptance of this by the general public is maybe the saddest thing of it all, like frogs in the boiling pot of water, we just sit around in a THC haze and let it happen to us.
    So late stage capitalism

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    So late stage capitalism
    Exactly. One of the certainties of late-stage capitalism is the wholesale purchase of government regulatory entities by the industry they should in theory be regulating. In this case that is the Forest Service. The ski industry is a billion dollar a year industry that is heavily monopolized and is heavily connected with wall street. It would be the height of naivety to not understand that there is deep rooted corruption at the core of it all. If there was not corruption, then Forest service special use permits would not be allowed to be transferred and expanded with little to no oversight of these monopolies. These mergers and acquisitions would not even happen. The SEC would throw an anti-trust lawsuit at them while the Forest service shut this shit down because they would see our forests as something other than a place for Vail to transfer wealth upward. Late-Stage capitalism at its finest.

Of course, like all other predatory corporations, the one thing they rely on to pull this shit off is the stupidity and acquiescence of the general public. One does not need to look far to see this in full display on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeLunker View Post
    Sunday I woke up late. Went skiing without a res (the bus is great) and never waited in a line for more than a minute. Shit is golden up there.
    Lol let me know when you try to do that on a Saturday when the snow isn’t refrozen rain crust.

No one is saying you can’t take the bus. By all means if you want to show up at 10am the bus is all yours. I just don’t want to be forced to take that shit because you want to sleep in.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

a lot of complaining of the firstest of world problems. PNW people are such pussies.

Everytime I go to one of these resorts im amazed at the absurdity of it all. All this infrastructure where it shouldnt be. Chairlifts magically carry me to the top. I ski whatever I want. Even take a shit in a warm clean bathroom at the top of the mountain. I count my lucky stars. Its the height of privilege.

Sunday I woke up late. Went skiing without a res (the bus is great) and never waited in a line for more than a minute. Shit is golden up there.
    Shit is golden up there because they took our money to make it that way. I don't think I'm innately entitled to lift served skiing or parking or heated bathrooms. I'm well aware of how privileged I am to have the money to give them. They offered a product for sale and I bought it and then they changed it after they had my money. They took yours too right? Ignoring that makes your post pretty dumb.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

Quote Originally Posted by counterfeitfake View Post
    Shit is golden up there because they took our money to make it that way. I don't think I'm innately entitled to lift served skiing or parking or heated bathrooms. I'm well aware of how privileged I am to have the money to give them. They offered a product for sale and I bought it and then they changed it after they had my money. They took yours too right? Ignoring that makes your post pretty dumb.
    Nah apparently you are entitled if you want to receive the service you agreed on and paid for.

Next time you hire a plumber to fix your broken sink and he takes your money but doesn’t actually fix it, you just be happy you have a roof to sleep under you spoiled asshole.

Sometimes I forget I'm talking with a bunch ex ski school Trevors and chads. I suppose its a matter of perspective. From my experience, a person can get fucked wayyy harder than whatever injustices evil alterra is inflicting upon your delicate pale asses. I dont feel shafted. I can ski any day I want, one way or the other. There's tons of people trying to do the same thing as me and get up into a delicate area with one tiny road in. If I have to take the bus I will. If I have to check back over and over to get a parking reservation I will.

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Skier206 View Post
    Nah apparently you are entitled if you want to receive the service you agreed on and paid for.

Next time you hire a plumber to fix your broken sink and he takes your money but doesn’t actually fix it, you just be happy you have a roof to sleep under you spoiled asshole.

Stupid comparison. A toilet and a season pass at a ski resort, yea thats exactly the same. Fuckin twat you are needing a plumber to fix a toilet lol. Any time a shady plumber gets one over on you or anyone of your ilk im happy.

All this and yet you'll fork over the cash again next year. Its all just hot air.

Sometimes I forget I'm talking with a bunch ex ski school Trevors and chads. I suppose its a matter of perspective. From my experience, a person can get fucked wayyy harder than whatever injustices evil alterra is inflicting upon your delicate pale asses. I dont feel shafted. I can ski any day I want, one way or the other. There's tons of people trying to do the same thing as me and get up into a delicate area with one tiny road in. If I have to take the bus I will. If I have to check back over and over to get a parking reservation I will.

Stupid comparison. A toilet and a season pass at a ski resort, yea thats exactly the same. Fuckin twat you are needing a plumber to fix a toilet lol. Any time a shady plumber gets one over on you or anyone of your ilk im happy.

All this and yet you'll fork over the cash again next year. Its all just hot air.
    This is the kind of constructive criticism I come here for.

Thanks for posting Frank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

SpeLunker's must be new to Seattle area and doesn't realize we are world class complainers. Give him a few seasons and he'll come around.

blah blah....If I have to take the bus I will. If I have to check back over and over to get a parking reservation I will....blah blah...
    Keep bending over and taking it.

Sometimes I forget I'm talking with a bunch ex ski school Trevors and chads.
    Really, really wild how inaccurate this all is. What, if only we had your blue-collar perspective we would be... happy and grateful for getting less than we thought we were paying for?

You're an idiot but at least I disagree with you. Dunderhead mostly says shit I agree with and I still want him to STFU.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    SpeLunker's must be new to Seattle area and doesn't realize we are world class complainers. Give him a few seasons and he'll come around.
    Hah its true. Can you believe I haven't made any friends???

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Keep bending over and taking it.
    One man's anal rape is another's prostate massage

"Outside of COVID concerns, what makes it not a good alternative?"

Apart from that, how was the opera Mrs Lincoln?

DeBerry's solution to overselling passes and then refusing to provide what we have already agreed on and paid for is to crowd us on to buses in the middle of a pandemic of a highly transmissible and lethal virus. Transmission is particularly effective in closed, poorly ventilated and crowded places, like, say, a bus.

To all those tired of hearing about and dealing with the pandemic, I hear you. Me too. I invite you to come and tour the hospital I work at in Seattle which has its highest number of COVID patients ever. And where all "elective" procedures (for example many cancer surgeries) have been postponed due to no beds and/or no staff because they are sick or isolating. And where my colleagues, physician and non-physician, are quitting in droves because despite almost a million dead in the US, huge economic disruption and an overwhelmed health care system, idiots persist in idiotic behavior - like sitting on a crowded bus with others wearing or not wearing masks, or vaccinated and boosted, or not.

The parking under-capacity problem is a truly a problem of oversold passes - which hasn't changed in 3 years. And DeBerry's solution is to deliberately and knowingly risk people's health to maximize Alterra's profits. Fuck him.

One man's anal rape is another's prostate massage
    This ^ from the guy who’s username means “entering dirty holes”

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    This ^ from the guy who’s username means “entering dirty holes”

I see you've put 2 and 2 together.

There are now some reservations available for tomorrow if anyone needs them!

Quote Originally Posted by ianpnw View Post
    "Outside of COVID concerns, what makes it not a good alternative?"

Apart from that, how was the opera Mrs Lincoln?

DeBerry's solution to overselling passes and then refusing to provide what we have already agreed on and paid for is to crowd us on to buses in the middle of a pandemic of a highly transmissible and lethal virus. Transmission is particularly effective in closed, poorly ventilated and crowded places, like, say, a bus.

To all those tired of hearing about and dealing with the pandemic, I hear you. Me too. I invite you to come and tour the hospital I work at in Seattle which has its highest number of COVID patients ever. And where all "elective" procedures (for example many cancer surgeries) have been postponed due to no beds and/or no staff because they are sick or isolating. And where my colleagues, physician and non-physician, are quitting in droves because despite almost a million dead in the US, huge economic disruption and an overwhelmed health care system, idiots persist in idiotic behavior - like sitting on a crowded bus with others wearing or not wearing masks, or vaccinated and boosted, or not.

The parking under-capacity problem is a truly a problem of oversold passes - which hasn't changed in 3 years. And DeBerry's solution is to deliberately and knowingly risk people's health to maximize Alterra's profits. Fuck him.
    Yeah, I'm sick of worrying about COVID too, and COVID doesn't give a shit how I feel about it. There aren't words for how hard a pass I am taking on the opportunity to get on a bus, until Omicron subsides.

But it's not surprising people "persist in idiotic behavior" by now- we're supposed to, what choice do we have, the system has shown us it does not give a fuck about us, capitalism needs to keep functioning and we are all expected to risk our lives for it.

Thanks for being part of our health care system, you deserve better and so do all the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by counterfeitfake View Post
    Yeah, I'm sick of worrying about COVID too, and COVID doesn't give a shit how I feel about it. There aren't words for how hard a pass I am taking on the opportunity to get on a bus, until Omicron subsides.

But it's not surprising people "persist in idiotic behavior" by now- we're supposed to, what choice do we have, the system has shown us it does not give a fuck about us, capitalism needs to keep functioning and we are all expected to risk our lives for it.

Thanks for being part of our health care system, you deserve better and so do all the rest of us.
    now you are sounding like me and no I won't stfu. fuck capatalism and fuck Vail, fuk alterra, and fuk boyne. Peak late stage capitalism is having to load up buses in peak pandemic cuz you sold it out so fucking hard.

and thanks ianpnw for all you do for all the dumb fucks

the skiing pubic is so underserved in Washington, the EVO bro show went and opened a hotel in SLC. Now Puget Sound Gravity Research can hop a plane and get avied in the Wasatch every weekend. Evo Hotel Salt Lake City | Hotels in Salt Lake City Utah
    Last edited by dunderhead; 01-21-2022 at 07:10 PM.

The problem is extremely simple as ianpnw alluded to:

Alterra sold 40,000 Ikon passes in WA even though there are only 4500 parking spots at Crystal. WTF did they think was going to happen? They knew this problem was coming and don't give a shit since they have our $$ already.
    You Will Respect My Authoritah!

Don’t foresee renewing in my future

Quote Originally Posted by dunderhead View Post
    now you are sounding like me and no I won't stfu. fuck capatalism and fuck Vail, fuk alterra, and fuk boyne. Peak late stage capitalism is having to load up buses in peak pandemic cuz you sold it out so fucking hard.

and thanks ianpnw for all you do for all the dumb fucks

the skiing pubic is so underserved in Washington, the EVO bro show went and opened a hotel in SLC. Now Puget Sound Gravity Research can hop a plane and get avied in the Wasatch every weekend. Evo Hotel Salt Lake City | Hotels in Salt Lake City Utah
    there likely would have been an evo Hotel in Seattle by now and a couple around the PNW if it wasn’t for ¿Google? buying up some property first. evo isn’t running from Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by timeo View Post
    The problem is extremely simple as ianpnw alluded to:

Alterra sold 40,000 Ikon passes in WA even though there are only 4500 parking spots at Crystal. WTF did they think was going to happen? They knew this problem was coming and don't give a shit since they have our $$ already.
    My guess is they were hoping that somehow it would all sort itself out. Oops.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    My guess is they were hoping that somehow it would all sort itself out. Oops.
    As far as they’re concerned it is sorted.