Page 12 of 79 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Since I’ve never had to use chains, for a 4Runner SR5 that’s RWD and shifts to 4WD, what tires do you chain? Front or rear?

May buy a pair to keep in the back in the rare chance of them being required on AWD/4WD.
    Rear. Though its 4wd it isnt a 50-50 split on power sent to axles. I believe 4runners (or at least gen 4) is a 40-60 split front to rear. Someone please correct me if i am wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Normally, the WSP just waved AWD/4WD with snows on through.
    That's how I remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Almost all of the carnage we witnessed were 4 wheel spins from AWD's w/o dedicated snows that were stopped /backed up on an incline spinning all 4. Explorers, Subarus, Volvos, Mercs, etc. Lots full of big money cars without the right rubber.
    Yep, yep.

It's usually the first couple of miles up the blvd that cause the issue for unchained 2WD with above average drivers though.

Pretty unusual to ever see an AWD stuck there.

Saturday's chaos was apparently triggered by a bunch of vans... I hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Since I’ve never had to use chains, for a 4Runner SR5 that’s RWD and shifts to 4WD, what tires do you chain? Front or rear?

May buy a pair to keep in the back in the rare chance of them being required on AWD/4WD.
    If you enjoy drifting put them on the front.

And yes carry chains... there are signs all along 410 telling you this is state law.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    That's how I remember it.
    Yeah, but you're so old your memory is questionable.

;-)

blast from the past. deeznutz
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

"Robust sales"

28,000 Crystal Ikon passes.

...apparently.

More reading: get those day passes early!

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/ou...-local-slopes/

A TOUGH BUT NECESSARY DECISION
    Effective Saturday, January 18th, we have taken a decision to preserve the aspect of what we all love about this mountain – a community resort, with an uncommercial and pristine environment and amazing skiing and riding. It was a tough call – we are skiers at heart and turning away those who love the mountain is not in our nature. But something needs to change for the community good.

We will discontinue selling walk-up full day tickets at the ticket booths on weekends and holidays in order to hold skier visits to what our roads and parking infrastructure is designed to handle. will monitor this closely and make adjustments as we continue to learn how this will impact our guests and the mountain.
    On weekends and holidays, we will continue to honor all Ikon Pass holders, purchasers of any advanced ticket product such as 5-pack vouchers, advance single days tickets, and other such products.
    We will offer a finite amount of advance tickets online for weekends and holidays. But we will limit the available quantities of these day tickets based on a consideration of variables such as the snow forecast, mountain conditions, traffic, road conditions, and any other factors that contribute to people making their decision to ski on that day.

Our belief is that this will have the effect of capping total numbers of skiers to a level that our roads and parking infrastructure can accommodate while still providing a premium experience.

In the short term, for this season we will continue to reinforce our efforts to give timely and transparent travel and parking information. We will continue investing large sums in providing bus service to Crystal. We will continue incenting our customers to carpool. And in the coming weeks, we will be announcing new and more rewarding incentives to our customers who visit on weekdays.

This initiative is a part of maintaining our untrammeled experience and the rustic nature of why we love Crystal. Like everyone, we need to begin to change our behavior to help sustain our ski experience now and for future generations. Our commitment is to provide our guests with a superior experience - we believe that these steps will move us towards that objective. As a community, we all love Crystal, but right now it’s a mountain that is feeling too much love and we are taking decisive action to preserve what it means to all of us.

With respect and gratitude.

Frank DeBerry
    President & COO

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Great fucking idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Stikki View Post
    Next season they need to blackout all weekends and holidays from Ikon, then create a local Crystal pass (no Ikon benefits) for all access. Price the local pass $1600 or something. With all the wealth in the area it won't solve the problem but it should thin the crowds some and create further incentive for weekday skiing. The weekend experience is so detrimental for out of area visitors that funneling them to only weekdays would also preserve their experience.

I've heard they are metering car counts just out of the 'claw already?

Today the lines for gondy and CH were up the hill at 8:30. Crazy. Monday? Never seen that in many years of skiing there. It thinned out quick once spinning and was a crazy good pow day.

Also, I remember skiing at Northstar in the mid '70's. They'd just opened and their marketing pitch was all about how they limited the number of tix sold each day so there would never be lift lines. Them's was the dayz, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    You mean like an on ramp meter? Maybe pulses of 10 or 15 vehicles? I suppose... but would need law enforcement there to make it function.

It takes the threat of jail time to stop people poaching terrain being avalanche controlled... these powder technicians are not going to sit and wait for a green light in the middle of the forest.

And you know the fucking bus drivers will just blow right past in the downhill lane anyway.
    Last edited by oftpiste; 01-13-2020 at 08:53 PM.

I really (really) appreciate the sentiment, but I don't believe walk-ups are the problem. Rumor has it they sold 3X IKONs vs. the number of crystal passes previously sold. That's the problem.

I wish it didn't feel like lip service.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I really (really) appreciate the sentiment, but I don't believe walk-ups are the problem. Rumor has it they sold 3X IKONs vs. the number of crystal passes previously sold. That's the problem.

I wish it didn't feel like lip service.
    Hopefully the people with passes will at least figure their shit out and do what they need to do (tires, chains) to be able to get up CMB. I'd wager that day pass people are over-represented in the fuckups. At least I'd like to think so.

The real problem is the explosive population growth of the Puget Sound region.

AKA, blame California.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
    The real problem is the explosive population growth of the Puget Sound region.

AKA, blame California.
    Hey! I represent that statement!

My brother isn’t going to be happy as a single ticket buying dad with a daughter who’s showing interest

Just buy online the night before. Easy.

This is a no win for Alterra.

To have willingly sold as many season passes as possible, far more than the resources can accommodate and the solution is to effectively bar those families that can't afford $700 per family member?

A clear breach of the Public Trust by conglomerates.

As long as people buy the John Galt myth, it's just going to get worse.

I hate to say it but they need to limit ikon days to 5 on the base pass, just like every other ikonic destination.

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Just buy online the night before. Easy.
    Apparently the website wasn’t playing well with regard to youth tickets...
    Presumably that was a temporary issue, but it was part of his frustration with this recent storm & rider surge

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Alterra needs to manage Crystal Mountain Boulevard a lot better
    It's state property.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Knocker View Post
    It's state property.
    More likely FS, but independent, that didn't stop Boyne and Kircher from plowing, salting and sanding.

Nice try.

Also, I remember skiing at Northstar in the mid '70's. They'd just opened and their marketing pitch was all about how they limited the number of tix sold each day so there would never be lift lines. Them's was the dayz, eh?
    Alta used to do this in the 80s/90s.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Apparently the website wasn’t playing well with regard to youth tickets...
    Presumably that was a temporary issue, but it was part of his frustration with this recent storm & rider surge
    The official Crystal account said in the facebook thread on this that they're not going to limit youth tickets since the youth obviously didn't drive themselves up. So if you have a pass you're free to bring your kid(s) on the weekend.

Pretty insane that Crystal got the Stevens problem but made it worse. I would have thought with a better road, and lack of 2 way traffic they would be able to manage for a little while longer.