Page 48 of 61 FirstFirst ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1524
  1. #1176
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Lost in the PNWet
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    Did my part

    Attachment 400732

    There's absolutely zero identity verification with their system, you don't even have to verify a live email address to make a reservation, and there's a $100 fee for being a no-show.

    ...in a completely unrelated topic, entirely disconnected from the thought above, think anyone knows the license plate # of a Mr. F. Deberry?

  2. #1177
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    S-E-A-T-O-W-N
    Posts
    1,763
    How on earth could they fine you for not showing? They plan to be certain they scan in every single vehicle in the lot?

    This is a fucking shitnado. I can't even bring the site up.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

  3. #1178
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    That data shows the skier density (not stupidity, although clearly that's in question as well) at the average resort has steadily climbed and that's what we're experiencing.

    91/92 50M/542 == 92,250.922 visits/resort
    96/97 52M/502 == 102,564.102 visits/resort
    10/11 60M/486 == 123,456.790 visits/resort
    20/21 59M/462 == 127,705.627 visits/resort

    This also ignores the distribution of skiers in the Plangent Sound relative to the midwaste.

    On average that's 35,454.705 more visits per resort since 91/92. Flat my ass.
    The numbers are way more tilted if you look at urban growth and actual destination ski areas, I'm sure.

    Adding to this, last week's NYT climate change & skiing article had the state that the average ski season has shrunk by 34 days in almost that same time period. So not only is average visitation up, but it would be significantly higher on a per-day basis (especially adjusted for weekend peaks).

  4. #1179
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by Ørion View Post
    There's absolutely zero identity verification with their system, you don't even have to verify a live email address to make a reservation, and there's a $100 fee for being a no-show.

    ...in a completely unrelated topic, entirely disconnected from the thought above, think anyone knows the license plate # of a Mr. F. Deberry?
    What!?!? My license plate is totally "FUCKYOU" and my email is absolutely AlterraSucks@AOL.com
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

  5. #1180
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    7,864
    LMFAO. Well played.

    Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    What!?!? My license plate is totally "FUCKYOU" and my email is absolutely AlterraSucks@AOL.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

  6. #1181
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    voting in seattle
    Posts
    4,909
    Anyone know what Frank drives? Asking for a friend…

  7. #1182
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    64
    Conditions advice please. Supposed to fly out a week from today and be at crystal next thursday and friday. i am fortunate to have the flexibility to postpone. Based on current weather and forecast what advice would you have for this old snowboarder? i guess based on flexibility i could be asking this question a few days from now but im getting antsy. Thanks in advance. first timer here too if that makes a differerence

  8. #1183
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    5,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Crippity View Post
    Conditions advice please. Supposed to fly out a week from today and be at crystal next thursday and friday. i am fortunate to have the flexibility to postpone. Based on current weather and forecast what advice would you have for this old snowboarder? i guess based on flexibility i could be asking this question a few days from now but im getting antsy. Thanks in advance. first timer here too if that makes a differerence
    This is the Pacific North West - you can’t trust our weather more than 3 days out. Chances are it will both rain and snow in the mountains between now and next Thursday. How that hits is anyones guess.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  9. #1184
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Crippity View Post
    Conditions advice please. Supposed to fly out a week from today and be at crystal next thursday and friday. i am fortunate to have the flexibility to postpone. Based on current weather and forecast what advice would you have for this old snowboarder? i guess based on flexibility i could be asking this question a few days from now but im getting antsy. Thanks in advance. first timer here too if that makes a differerence
    The forecast looks really warm. In your shoes I would absolutely postpone.

  10. #1185
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Keep Tacoma Feared
    Posts
    3,303
    Can you switch to Alaska? Snow forecast next 10 days:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (18).jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	420.2 KB 
ID:	400820

  11. #1186
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    57
    OpenSnow 10 day shows next to nothing resembling January conditions, give it a few days but likely postpone

  12. #1187
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,492
    Yeah, January is usually a rough month. Come President's Day and it's on.

  13. #1188
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by Crippity View Post
    Conditions advice please. Supposed to fly out a week from today and be at crystal next thursday and friday. i am fortunate to have the flexibility to postpone. Based on current weather and forecast what advice would you have for this old snowboarder? i guess based on flexibility i could be asking this question a few days from now but im getting antsy. Thanks in advance. first timer here too if that makes a differerence
    If you can postpone, do it.

  14. #1189
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Crippity View Post
    Conditions advice please. Supposed to fly out a week from today and be at crystal next thursday and friday. i am fortunate to have the flexibility to postpone. Based on current weather and forecast what advice would you have for this old snowboarder? i guess based on flexibility i could be asking this question a few days from now but im getting antsy. Thanks in advance. first timer here too if that makes a differerence
    It is not likely to be good. While weather forecasts change frequently around here, in my experience, these warm split-flow patterns in winter are usually fairly accurate...They happen every year. My money would be on this lasting a few weeks, and then a nice Feb...If you can wait, wait and postpone closer to the time. If not, postpone.

  15. #1190
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    panhandle locdog
    Posts
    7,544
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    That data shows the skier density (not stupidity, although clearly that's in question as well) at the average resort has steadily climbed and that's what we're experiencing.

    91/92 50M/542 == 92,250.922 visits/resort
    96/97 52M/502 == 102,564.102 visits/resort
    10/11 60M/486 == 123,456.790 visits/resort
    20/21 59M/462 == 127,705.627 visits/resort

    This also ignores the distribution of skiers in the Plangent Sound relative to the midwaste.

    On average that's 35,454.705 more visits per resort since 91/92. Flat my ass.
    Your post got my mind going.

    Here in the greater Spokane area, we have ~8800 acres of lift served terrain split between 5 resorts with 2 hours drive of the population. Additionally we have resorts nearby in Canada and Montana that are a reasonable weekend trip. (Red, Turner, Whitefish, etc)

    Population of the greater Spokane/CDA region is roughly 600,000 people.

    In comparison, the greater Seattle region is roughly 4 million people. 7000 - 8000 acres lift served skiing, if you count Mission. Much of those acres doesn't fit market needs/desires. Very little beginner or intermediate terrain. Canadian resorts are actually a fairly decent trek, and obviously the border has been closed/difficult to manage for the last 24 months.

    The Spokane/INW areas can feel a bit busy from time to time... we honestly could use terrain and parking expansions at most mountains for peak days/weekends. (Which is happening now at Lookout Pass and Schweitzer.)

    It's pretty clear the Seattle market is well overdue for more infrastructure to serve the ski community. If podunk Lookout Pass can afford an expansion (from 500 acres to 2000 acres and 3 more lifts), I think it's a huge joke that Alterra and Vail can't even seem to find a way to run all of their lifts, not to mention expand. (ps Lookout is on USFS...)

  16. #1191
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,820
    Quote Originally Posted by TAFKALVS View Post
    Your post got my mind going.

    Here in the greater Spokane area, we have ~8800 acres of lift served terrain split between 5 resorts with 2 hours drive of the population. Additionally we have resorts nearby in Canada and Montana that are a reasonable weekend trip. (Red, Turner, Whitefish, etc)

    Population of the greater Spokane/CDA region is roughly 600,000 people.

    In comparison, the greater Seattle region is roughly 4 million people. 7000 - 8000 acres lift served skiing, if you count Mission. Much of those acres doesn't fit market needs/desires. Very little beginner or intermediate terrain. Canadian resorts are actually a fairly decent trek, and obviously the border has been closed/difficult to manage for the last 24 months.

    The Spokane/INW areas can feel a bit busy from time to time... we honestly could use terrain and parking expansions at most mountains for peak days/weekends. (Which is happening now at Lookout Pass and Schweitzer.)

    It's pretty clear the Seattle market is well overdue for more infrastructure to serve the ski community. If podunk Lookout Pass can afford an expansion (from 500 acres to 2000 acres and 3 more lifts), I think it's a huge joke that Alterra and Vail can't even seem to find a way to run all of their lifts, not to mention expand. (ps Lookout is on USFS...)
    Nice post

  17. #1192
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    520

    Crystal Mountain Becomes Alterra

    Reminded on Sunday how great Crystal is when management doesn’t fuck things up. Parking lot was full per usual but Southback was amazing and untracked lines were available all day.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1642115608.788042.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	291.3 KB 
ID:	401047


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  18. #1193
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    voting in seattle
    Posts
    4,909
    Anyone actually get a reservation for Sunday?

  19. #1194
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    242
    Yeah, I got both Sun and Mon but was basically parked at the computer after the crash for about an hour since I assumed it would randomly start working.
    You Will Respect My Authoritah!

  20. #1195
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Anyone actually get a reservation for Sunday?
    Yea, I got you.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7060.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	401109



    (before the hate comes, not mine, a friend sent me this)

  21. #1196
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    7,864
    A new black market emerges. I wonder if they have buried language somewhere that makes this verboten or fine-able or....?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

  22. #1197
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    At Work
    Posts
    2,843
    Crystal is going to be pissed that they don't get a cut of the revenue this generates (to fund their bus program of course!)

  23. #1198
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    25,542
    I can imagine the surprise on Franks, that visionary, face.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  24. #1199
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    The forecast looks really warm. In your shoes I would absolutely postpone.
    this is accurate. January is not the time to come here for skiing. Late december and march.

  25. #1200
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8,838
    Parking pass scalpers on the boulevard.

    “Forgot to reserve parking? get you QR code here!”




    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •