Page 46 of 61 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1524
    Right? So really, WTF is going on? Creation of new demand by lowering entry barriers? I wonder if the skier numbers overall stay the same, but are more concentrated during peak times - holidays etc. - making it feel (to us who have seen all times of many seasons) like they're overrun for short periods of time?

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Funny thing is, we keep hearing that nationwide skier numbers have been flat for years, with some minor fluctuations based on primarily on snowfall. Yet we also keep hearing stories from ski areas all over the country (and Canadia), big and small, that are overrun with skiers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Nationwide, skier numbers may be flat, but that doesn't address the changing geographic distribution of skiers or ski areas.

Overall, there are significantly fewer ski areas nationwide over the last 30 years with particular attrition in the midwaste and l'east coast, not to mention the rockies.

Also, populations have gravitated from the midwaste and l'east coast to metro areas in the Rockies as well as burgeoning growth along the waste coast, the Plangent Sound in particular.

So, between the change in numbers of ski areas and distribution of assholes like myself, the "flat" numbers don't describe the effects seen across the rockies or the waste coast.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    A lot still are, at least in Washington State. Only Cougar Rock (Rainier) and Kalaloch, Hoh, and Sol Duc (Olys) allow you to reserve. The rest are first come, first served.
    ^ Incorrect. Ohanapecosh (East Rainier) also allows reservations (and I highly recommend getting one or you won't find a spot)

I still vote that Ikon has people designate a "home mountain" and limit sales of that pass which provides unlimited at that mountain. how many ikon pass holders need more than 5 or 7 at a second or third mountain? In my case 7 at the pass is enough and it certainly covers anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
    I still vote that Ikon has people designate a "home mountain" and limit sales of that pass which provides unlimited at that mountain. how many ikon pass holders need more than 5 or 7 at a second or third mountain? In my case 7 at the pass is enough and it certainly covers anywhere else.
    I've always felt that made the most sense. You can even sell one that doesn't designate a "home" unlimited mountain for cheaper. Like a beefed up Mountain Collective pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Nationwide, skier numbers may be flat, but that doesn't address the changing geographic distribution of skiers or ski areas.

Overall, there are significantly fewer ski areas nationwide over the last 30 years with particular attrition in the midwaste and l'east coast, not to mention the rockies.

Also, populations have gravitated from the midwaste and l'east coast to metro areas in the Rockies as well as burgeoning growth along the waste coast, the Plangent Sound in particular.

So, between the change in numbers of ski areas and distribution of assholes like myself, the "flat" numbers don't describe the effects seen across the rockies or the waste coast.
    The last few seasons we’ve heard that skier numbers are “flat” but that doesn’t compute. I got curious so I looked at the data from NSAA…

Both skier visits and active participates slowly/fumbly climbed until 2010/2011, then dipped and puttered for a few years (presumably based on economics), and then shot back up 2018/2019. Then dipped 2020 (COVID). And now it’s back up.

Since NSAA started tracking the total number of resorts in the US it’s been a slow decline.

91/92 - 546 resorts, 50m visits
    96/97 - 507 resorts, 52m visits, 8.6m participants
    10/11 - 486 resorts, 60m visits, 10m participants
    20/21 - 462 resorts, 59m visits, 10.5m participants

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

https://www.nsaa.org/NSAA/Media/Industry_Stats.aspx

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

Since NSAA started tracking the total number of resorts in the US it’s been a slow decline.

91/92 - 546 resorts, 50m visits
    96/97 - 507 resorts, 52m visits, 8.6m participants
    10/11 - 486 resorts, 60m visits, 10m participants
    20/21 - 462 resorts, 59m visits, 10.5m participants
    That data shows the skier density (not stupidity, although clearly that's in question as well) at the average resort has steadily climbed and that's what we're experiencing.

91/92 50M/542 == 92,250.922 visits/resort
    96/97 52M/502 == 102,564.102 visits/resort
    10/11 60M/486 == 123,456.790 visits/resort
    20/21 59M/462 == 127,705.627 visits/resort

This also ignores the distribution of skiers in the Plangent Sound relative to the midwaste.

On average that's 35,454.705 more visits per resort since 91/92. Flat my ass.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 01-10-2022 at 04:18 PM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

There's simply way too much participation in the dying sport of skiing.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Nobody skis anymore. It's too crowded.

100 dollar fine? On what authority? I wish I could assign debt out of thin air as I see fit... all you fuckers would owe lol.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I can't believe nobody's blamed snowboarding yet... it's fucking obvious who's to blame

Nice to see they're still selling yet more new products.

Guided snowshoeing opens up this Friday.

Can we blame snowshoeing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    I can't believe nobody's blamed snowboarding yet... it's fucking obvious who's to blame

Travis rice and Shaun white are largely to blame.

New email from Crystal, they're opening up reservations one weekend at a time.

To start, parking reservations will only be available for one week at a time. Reservations for the following weekend, January 22-23, will open on Tuesday the 18th at 12 PM. As we work out additional details in the system we will be opening one week of reservations at a time.
    Last edited by Ørion; 01-10-2022 at 07:01 PM. Reason: added the relevant email quote

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Travis rice and Shaun white are largely to blame.
    Todd Jones?

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post

Holeee fuck!

Start in Enumclaw then they give a shuttle ride back down?

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Start in Enumclaw then they give a shuttle ride back down?
    If they stomped up and down my driveway it'd cut down on my plow bill.

Do they get to park? If I bring snowshoes can I park and then just ski with the pass I already bought? Can they “guide” me to the top of REX at about 8am?

Alterra war room some time in the past:

“I’ve got a plan. We will sell as many passes as possible, and then figure out the next step once winter starts. We’ll just add restrictions if too many people show up, after they’ve already paid. Don’t mention anything about this in marketing material, but it will be the plan from the start. Sneak something into the fine print so we can’t get sued. Oh and mention the word “unlimited” as many times as we are legally allowed in the marketing spew.”

“Great idea, Chad! Sounds like somebody is getting a promotion!”

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post

“I’ve got a plan. We will sell as many passes as possible, and then figure out the next step once winter starts. We’ll just add restrictions if too many people show up, after they’ve already paid. Don’t mention anything about this in marketing material, but it will be the plan from the start. Sneak something into the fine print so we can’t get sued. Oh and mention the word “unlimited” as many times as we are legally allowed in the marketing spew.”

“Great idea, Chad! Sounds like somebody is getting a promotion!”
    Ha.

Would love see someone make a “Crystal War Room” spoof with this.

https://youtu.be/90S-bjQFJYc

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post

“Great idea, Frank! Sounds like somebody is getting a promotion!”
    FIFY.

But otherwise verbatim!

Pretty awesome of Alterra to not have the parking reservation site up yet to see how it works before reservations go live.

Advantage: powder techs. But dust on crust weekend coming up, will they still reserve?
    Our great works of human enterprise will fade away with time. The mountain will endure. ~nps

As expected, reservation site is terrible and nothing goes through. Who'da thought.