Page 19 of 79 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ptavv View Post
    There are at least half a dozen areas that could support a small-to-moderate sized ski area from a terrain viewpoint. Almost all of the best places are in the National Forests though. There might be a few areas on timber company land that would be suitable. Getting any of it developed and approved in the cultural context of Western Washington and the era of climate change is a near impossibility though.
    My point was based on land use and the USFS, and to a lesser extent the economics.

Where do you see possible areas from a terrain viewpoint?

Quote Originally Posted by ridinshockgun View Post

Maybe since East Peak is burned they'll let Crystal put in a chair up there now?
    Nope. PCT
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Nope. PCT
    Ah, I was editing and deleted. Doesn't the PCT go right through Stevens?

Kircher during the last MDP offered to reroute the PCT around the back of East Peak so as not to expose hikers to the devastation that is Crystal Mountain and instead give them a view of the Norse Peak Wilderness.

The CCC rejected that.

But a lift partway up that serves neither objective is the usual compromise, right? Wrecks the area for touring and yet doesn't provide access to the killer terrain up there.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Yep and Snoq pass. PCT was established in 1968 though

Building ski area expansion onto it in 2020 ain't happening

Y'all should come back East if things are getting crowded out there, or can't you guys ski ice anymore?

I'll be at Whiteface this weekend. 3 degree edge bevel and tan pants. Ask for change for a nickel.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Makes way more sense to use the King County fairgrounds in Enumclaw for a park and bus since almost everyone driving to Crystal goes through that point. Ranger Creek air strip gets snow in the winter and would need to be plowed regularly. And as Brit says, the bridge is tiny. Also, turning across traffic out of there would be a nightmare and require a stop light or traffic control cop.

Quote Originally Posted by DBerd View Post
    Back in the 1960's when the NCNP as well as the adjoining Ross Lake Recreation area were being proposed it included the development of a ski area on Ruby Mountain off Hwy 20! Which is absolutely incredible terrain.
    Where would you put the parking lot? The terrain is very steep on all aspect and at all elevations. Also, the highway is at 2,200 feet on the north side of Ruby. It often doesn't have much snow in the winter, so lower elevation skiing there would suck and you need to be above 4,000 ft to find consistent good snow.

With a few exceptions, ski areas that make money this day and age have an abundance of beginner and intermediate terrain, condos, golf courses, restaurants, shopping, ect. The N Cascades are savage beasts and would never support this.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Y'all should come back East if things are getting crowded out there, or can't you guys ski ice anymore?

I'll be at Whiteface this weekend. 3 degree edge bevel and tan pants. Ask for change for a nickel.
    Hey! AZGreg has a new employee!

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Makes way more sense to use the King County fairgrounds in Enumclaw for a park and bus since almost everyone driving to Crystal goes through that point. Ranger Creek air strip gets snow in the winter and would need to be plowed regularly. And as Brit says, the bridge is tiny. Also, turning across traffic out of there would be a nightmare and require a stop light or traffic control cop.

Where would you put the parking lot? The terrain is very steep on all aspect and at all elevations. Also, the highway is at 2,200 feet on the north side of Ruby. It often doesn't have much snow in the winter, so lower elevation skiing there would suck and you need to be above 4,000 ft to find consistent good snow.

With a few exceptions, ski areas that make money this day and age have an abundance of beginner and intermediate terrain, condos, golf courses, restaurants, shopping, ect. The N Cascades are savage beasts and would never support this.
    It was supposed to a be tram, like some other access points up the Cascade River Road.

http://www.alpenglow.org/ski-history...areas-proposed

What could have been:
    http://www.alpenglow.org/ski-history...usfs-1970.html

"The North Cascades Conservation Council was willing to accept the Ruby Mountain tram because it lay entirely inside the Ross Lake NRA. Ira Spring and James Whittaker favored other trams, demonstrating that conservationists were not of one mind regarding tramways and access. Park Service managers were concerned that once a tramway was built on Ruby Mountain, skiers would pressure the agency to develop a ski area there. Delays due to the projected high cost eventually killed the Ruby Mountain tram proposal. "

http://www.alpenglow.org/ski-history...outer-1998-ch3

Lets not also forget that WSDOT is basically unfunded thanks to Tim Eyman. We're not getting any additional or existing closed roads maintained.

There’s a well know phenomenon where you can make your own situation feel better, by temporarily experiencing a worse one, IE the, it feels so good when you stop hitting yourself on the head with a hammer scenario.

In that light, I suggest you all head to Whistler for this weekend.

This won't diminish my love Crystal... by much.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Lets not also forget that WSDOT is basically unfunded thanks to Tim Eyman. We're not getting any additional or existing closed roads maintained.
    It's only a matter of time until Washington starts doing what Oregon did and requiring SnoPark permits for ski area parking. Which, if it helped fund some OT for WSP/WSDOT to do chain patrols on Hwy2, I90, 410, etc, would be well worth the expense.

It's a tragedy that Eyman's jeremiad against taxes is going to end up adding regressive fees onto ability to utilize public resources.

We call him "chair stealer".
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    it seems we're parking out earlier and earlier down on our humble volcano too

admin is monetizing by group sales (buses), team hill rental, encouraging busing/carpooling (in the name of environmental stewardship & reducing parking hassles)

but this has the effect of increasing ridership into what seems to be a limited arena

our upper mountain doesn't even run when we're in storm mode

& we don't have the added pressure of ikonepic
    Were you around when Meadows started offering the 4x$400 season pass program in 2003(?) Crowds got way bigger after that. Pow days became like a swarm of frenzied locusts devouring the freshies in 30 minutes. Elasticity of demand and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by ptavv View Post
    It's only a matter of time until Washington starts doing what Oregon did and requiring SnoPark permits for ski area parking. Which, if it helped fund some OT for WSP/WSDOT to do chain patrols on Hwy2, I90, 410, etc, would be well worth the expense.
    The OR snopark permits are only required at resorts and trailheads where contractors do the maintenance. Bachelor (poorly), Hoodoo and Anthony Lakes plow their own lots so no permit required.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Anthony Lakes plow their own lots so no permit required.
    Permit required last year.

Hmmm, we didn’t pay for one when we were there on a Thrifty Thursday early March last year. Nobody said one was necessary. Same with year before that. Will be sure to check when we go this year - it’s so cheap I’m not gonna bitch about paying to park

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Hmmm, we didn’t pay for one when we were there on a Thrifty Thursday early March last year. Nobody said one was necessary. Same with year before that. Will be sure to check when we go this year - it’s so cheap I’m not gonna bitch about paying to park
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/wall...a/?recid=51467 .
    I bought mine at the ticket window where it advertised the permit as required.

D’oh. Will buy two this year...

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    "The North Cascades Conservation Council was willing to accept the Ruby Mountain tram because it lay entirely inside the Ross Lake NRA. Ira Spring and James Whittaker favored other trams, demonstrating that conservationists were not of one mind regarding tramways and access. Park Service managers were concerned that once a tramway was built on Ruby Mountain, skiers would pressure the agency to develop a ski area there. Delays due to the projected high cost eventually killed the Ruby Mountain tram proposal. "
    I think it was more than anything, a pie-in-the-sky dream, voiced to gain support. But it was never going to gain financial traction.

Somewhere in their masterplan, Snoqualmie wants to build a nice restaurant on top of Hyak because people want to see the clear-cuts, I-90 and the watershed.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 474
Size:  13.3 KB

This is the problem right here. I'm guessing this person will head up to Crystal since they don't have any tread on their tires.

SR530/Mountain Loop Highway is underused, easy access from Puget Sound and would be an awesome access if only there were more 6k+ mountains developable from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    SR530/Mountain Loop Highway is underused, easy access from Puget Sound and would be an awesome access if only there were more 6k+ mountains developable from it.
    The mountains, snowpack and the roads are there... unfortunately since the forest service themselves got sued over trying to fix a fire lookout that existed well before wilderness... I doubt there's going to be any lift skiing up there. But darrington could be one hell of a ski hub with a little better access.

Tram to the top of Whitehorse please.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    if only there were more 6k+ mountains developable from it.
    If the mountain will not come to muhammad?