Page 13 of 79 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    I personally think they should start w/ incentivizing visits to other Alterra / Ikonic resorts. Like Snowshoe, WV. Most southern resort passholders would benefit from a long holiday weekend there

Quote Originally Posted by pipedream View Post
    I personally think they should start w/ incentivizing visits to other Alterra / Ikonic resorts. Like Snowshoe, WV. Most southern resort passholders would benefit from a long holiday weekend there
    I spent a weekend at Snowshoe one night.

Fun place

Ha. people gonna get turned away at the window for a $100 plus day ticket to please Ikon pass holders. Interesting move. Wish mountains could do something better about the dipshits driving up without snow tires.

There were two dozen 4wd cars that slid into the snow bank in a 1 mile stretch when I left hood over the weekend when traffic stopped and they could hold with their all seasons. Just grinding into the snow bank with all 4s spinning. Caused one of many shitshows already this season down south, but sound like you have it way worse. I've skied Crystal quite a bit over the years but have thankfully missed the epicness described this year.

Crystal Mountain Becomes Alterra

Quote Originally Posted by wordbird View Post
    Pretty insane that Crystal got the Stevens problem but made it worse. I would have thought with a better road, and lack of 2 way traffic they would be able to manage for a little while longer.
    I’ve been thinking the same thing. Stevens got super busy a few years back when the Summit had that crappy season and lifts only spun for a couple weeks. That light winter gave people who wandered over from the Summit the false impression that Hwy 2 is easy winter driving. The follow on parking challenges at Stevens affected some behavior and you either head up early, wait for the night session, or just go back to the Summit.

I have always thought the “Crystal has nearly unlimited parking and no real mountain driving” pitch was going to backfire at some point. It’s mind blowing had bad it has gotten.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    I’ve been thinking the same thing. Stevens got super busy a few years back when the Summit had that crappy season and lifts only spun for a couple weeks. That light winter gave people who wandered over from the Summit the false impression that Hwy 2 is easy winter driving. The follow on parking challenges at Stevens affected some behavior and you either head up early, wait for the night session, or just go back to the Summit.

I have always thought the “Crystal has nearly unlimited parking and no real mountain driving” pitch was going to backfire at some point. It’s mind blowing had bad it has gotten.
    It was bad when I went to school('10-'14), I think i had a season pass for '11-'12 or '12-'13 and the lots filled up just before or after the lifts spun @ Stevens on big weekend pow days. That was the reason I had a pass there for only one season, and only had alpy for other seasons. The more amazing thing for me was when we had a one liquid inch (nwac) and 2 new of snow (marketing) a couple winters back and filled up at 9. Obviously the 90% Seattleite population driving up had no idea about that the snow would be mostly shit with half an inch thick crust, breakable in treed places but bulletproof in others. I really enjoyed the 3 hr drive with my friend who was too hungover to help me drive from EWA to meet up some Seattleites. Fortunately I didn't have to pay for tickets for that shitshow since i had a free day from lookout pass.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Ha. people gonna get turned away at the window for a $100 plus day ticket to please Ikon pass. Interesting move.
    Insane the effect IKON is having on the business model of the ski industry.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

You mean like keeping ikon on the weekends and loosing the local walk up traffic?! How long until only ikon passes will pass the loading gate?

I work at a ski shop in an Epic town in Vermont. The amount of day traffic in town during the week has fallen way off. Ghost town. Not sure this is sustainable. Shops and restaurants are taking a beating.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Insane the effect IKON is having on the business model of the ski industry.
    EPIC doesn’t want $100 walk ups the once a year slot players of skiing, they want to sell to the whales.

crazy thread how busy crystal is.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    I work at a ski shop in an Epic town in Vermont. The amount of day traffic in town during the week has fallen way off. Ghost town. Not sure this is sustainable. Shops and restaurants are taking a beating.
    Just this year or last as well? I mean the conditions in VT have hardly been great so traffic would likely be slower now...Just wondering if this is EPIC/IKON effect or just weather?

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Just this year or last as well? I mean the conditions in VT have hardly been great so traffic would likely be slower now...Just wondering if this is EPIC/IKON effect or just weather?
    Granted the weather has been shit this season. But this is definitely slower than I’ve ever seen it. Maybe a combination of both the weather and day ticket prices. I’d be curious what it’s like at Stowe and Stratton this year.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Interesting. I would have though that being on the IKON would lead to more "destination vacationers" and an increase in weekday visitors. But i guess the super pass is just selling to the 3 times a year folks, and making them go 10 times "to get their money's worth".

Crazy how the business model has shifted from $1600 season pass and $40 day tickets when i was growing up in the 90's to now $500 season pass and $160 day tickets.

Wish we had more data and metrics vs anecdotes on skier visits this year. Definitely seems like Ikon is a major factor (I've talked to so many random folks who are casual skiers or just flat out suck and purchased an Ikon), but could this also be a side-effect of ski corporations dialing in their social media marketing strategies? I was talking to a dude on the chairlift at my hill recently (not an Ikon ski area) who said he only comes up to ski when the resort's FB page or mailing list reports that conditions are "good".

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Knocker View Post
    It's state property.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    More likely FS, but independent, that didn't stop Boyne and Kircher from plowing, salting and sanding.

Nice try.
    I looked this up years ago, and I was sure it was WashDOT property, but you are correct.

http://www.tacomadailyindex.com/blog...oject/2426952/

In any case, I don't remember Crystal ever actually plowing the road themselves. In fact, at a Crystal Founder Club, John Kircher brought up this very fact, that it was a state highway that only the state could maintain. He also brought up the fact that it was illegal for Crystal to enforce state laws (chains) on a state (or any public road) , ie: the turnoff.
    Last edited by Rock Knocker; 01-14-2020 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Knocker View Post
    I looked this up years ago, and I was sure it was WashDOT property, but you are correct.

http://www.tacomadailyindex.com/blog...oject/2426952/

In any case, I don't remember Crystal ever actually plowing the road themselves. In fact, at a Crystal Founder Club, John Kircher brought up this very fact, that it was a state highway that only the state could maintain. He also brought up the fact that it was illegal for Crystal to enforce state laws (chains) on a state (or any public road) , ie: the turnoff.
    Crystal runs its own snow removal equipment on the blvd.

There was a law suit following an accident with a plow some years ago in which Crystal was the defendant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Crystal runs its own snow removal equipment on the blvd.

There was a law suit following an accident with a plow some years ago in which Crystal was the defendant.
    Runs or ran? And the length of the blvd., or just inside their use area?

Clearly not running as much.

The entire blvd.

I have hitched a ride from a 410 lap with a crystal plow driver at the bottom of blvd.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Insane the effect triple digit window ticket prices is having on the business model of the ski industry.

Fify

Hmmmm....could be the fact that it's rained four times since Thanksgiving and was 65 degrees this last Saturday night. Maybe. Or maybe now somebody can fly and stay in SLC where it actually snows for almost the same price with points airfare. Possibly . Or maybe they just love that wonderful service they get from hungover Vermont lifers in the shops and restaraunts, and can't wait to get back. Yeah, might be.

The Catskills died for good reasons. You're next.

have fun driving up them canyons. i hear it’s lovely this time of year..

As I understand from Crystal's facebook posts, Ikon pass holders will still be able to buy non-Ikon pass holders day lift tickets on weekends from the window, and get a 25% discount on those tickets. Ikon base pass holders can do this 8 times a season. So I'm not sure Crystal claiming they are not selling weekend day tickets is really going to change anything? Majority of skiers on the hill are Ikon pass. Then everyone who pre-buys ticktes (as in the night before), or has corporate vouchers, 5 packs, ect., still gets to ski weekends. And if you don't fit into any of those categories and want to ski just shoulder tap someone, offer them a $20, and have them use one of their friends and family discounts.

Two thoughts on this thread for me. First, I hope Schweitzer doesn't sell out to the corporate world (probably will at some point but, for now, just glad we're more remote from highly populated areas so not as attractive). And second, glad we have an on-hill condo so driving up Thursday nights is lonely. From what I'm reading in this thread, I don't know that I would even want to ski if I had to jump through the hoops you guys are just to get to the mountain. Jesus, what a cluster.

Saturday afternoon at Crystal.

^^ Ha! I just noticed your sig line. That's funny!

As for the conditions, looks great! I wasn't at Schweitzer this past weekend (in Canada) but understand it was deeeeeeep. It's been a good 10 days with storms. Hope it keeps coming.

Schweitzer yesterday (from their FB page, not mine):

Looks like Boise/Bogus Basin is having some of the same parking issues as Crystal.

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2020/...Uq45FYDS5l7XAU