Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast
Results 851 to 875 of 906
  1. #851
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Keep Tacoma Feared
    Posts
    2,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I always thought Crustal and Kirkwood has something in common. Don’t get me wrong, we don’t have a gondola, lots of vertical or many high speed lifts, but the soul felt the same.

    You are the red headed step child of Aterra and we the red headed are child of Vail. They don’t give a shit about improvements at these resorts as they are not seen as cash cows.

    All these companies have done is make our resorts much more crowded.
    Crystal is where the bourgeoisie class of the Puget Sounds regularly ski. Seems to me the Bay Area elite gravitate towards Squaw and Heavenly over Kirkwood. Crystal is critical to Alterra because that is there in with Seattle tech money.

  2. #852
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cruzing
    Posts
    11,150
    I guess it has been well over a decade since I visited. We t seemed more rag tag and less Squaw glitz when I was there. Loved it. Now you are telling me I was just hood winked. Dammit

  3. #853
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,623
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I guess it has been well over a decade since I visited. We t seemed more rag tag and less Squaw glitz when I was there. Loved it. Now you are telling me I was just hood winked. Dammit
    No, its just that our ragtag is a lot more raggedy, and our glitz has more patina haha.

  4. #854
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I always thought Crustal and Kirkwood has something in common. Don’t get me wrong, we don’t have a gondola, lots of vertical or many high speed lifts, but the soul felt the same.

    You are the red headed step child of Aterra and we the red headed are child of Vail. They don’t give a shit about improvements at these resorts as they are not seen as cash cows.

    All these companies have done is make our resorts much more crowded.
    Vail and Alterra don't give a shit about any of their ski "hills" only their "resorts". Probably why they've been dragging their feet acquiring the Mt Hood skis areas.
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

  5. #855
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    4,498
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Crystal is where the bourgeoisie class of the Puget Sounds regularly ski. Seems to me the Bay Area elite gravitate towards Squaw and Heavenly over Kirkwood. Crystal is critical to Alterra because that is there in with Seattle tech money.
    The Bay Area Elite have a “cabin” at Martis Camp and take the private lift up to ski low angle groomers at Northstar then drop down in to the village for some “free” s’mores.

    We’d be lucky if there was such an establishment within 3hrs of Seattle. It’d certainly help open some parking spots up in Lot C


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  6. #856
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Spokane/Schweitzer
    Posts
    6,408
    Schweitzer hasn't sold out...yet....but, this just came in today.

    https://www.schweitzer.com/plan/pickyourpass/

    One thing we know is that a lot of our Schweitzer skiers & riders love the opportunity to get out of town and explore. Thanks to Schweitzer's new partnership with the Ikon Pass, we can now offer an opportunity to explore even more through our new “Voyager Pass,” a pass product that includes an unlimited Schweitzer season pass and an Ikon Base Pass, unlocking access to every Ikon Base Pass destination worldwide.

    Not sure what this is going to ultimately mean to us but I suspect more crowded than it's ever been. Thank God I'm retiring this summer. Looks like mid-week skiing is the new program for me. Not happy...

  7. #857
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,998
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Schweitzer hasn't sold out...yet....but, this just came in today.

    https://www.schweitzer.com/plan/pickyourpass/

    One thing we know is that a lot of our Schweitzer skiers & riders love the opportunity to get out of town and explore. Thanks to Schweitzer's new partnership with the Ikon Pass, we can now offer an opportunity to explore even more through our new “Voyager Pass,” a pass product that includes an unlimited Schweitzer season pass and an Ikon Base Pass, unlocking access to every Ikon Base Pass destination worldwide.

    Not sure what this is going to ultimately mean to us but I suspect more crowded than it's ever been. Thank God I'm retiring this summer. Looks like mid-week skiing is the new program for me. Not happy...
    Seems like a pretty good deal for Schweitzer skiers. $200 for an Ikon Base without the Ikon crowds coming to your mountain. I wish Boyne would do that with their passes, and their even on the Ikon pass. I'll be interested to see if more non-Ikon resorts do this kind of partnership.

    Edit - Looks like Schwizz is on the Ikon now but the Ikon site hasn't been updated yet. Yeah, this sucks for them. Will get a lot more Seattle folks coming out.
    Last edited by phatty; 04-20-2021 at 11:49 PM.

  8. #858
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Schweitzer hasn't sold out...yet....but, this just came in today.

    https://www.schweitzer.com/plan/pickyourpass/

    One thing we know is that a lot of our Schweitzer skiers & riders love the opportunity to get out of town and explore. Thanks to Schweitzer's new partnership with the Ikon Pass, we can now offer an opportunity to explore even more through our new “Voyager Pass,” a pass product that includes an unlimited Schweitzer season pass and an Ikon Base Pass, unlocking access to every Ikon Base Pass destination worldwide.

    Not sure what this is going to ultimately mean to us but I suspect more crowded than it's ever been. Thank God I'm retiring this summer. Looks like mid-week skiing is the new program for me. Not happy...
    Alterra needs to keep their grubby paws off of Schweitzer... place is a god damn national treasure

  9. #859
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Spokane/Schweitzer
    Posts
    6,408
    Quote Originally Posted by goCougs View Post
    Alterra needs to keep their grubby paws off of Schweitzer... place is a god damn national treasure
    In the email we received that announced this, they said the following:

    "One thing we want to make absolutely clear - Schweitzer is still one of the few remaining independent/family-owned resorts and we intend to keep it that way. Our ownership has no intentions of selling Schweitzer. This is a partnership, one that we think is a good fit because they value the individuality of each resort and fully support our independence. Schweitzer is still Schweitzer."

    So, for the time being, I think we're okay. In the longer term, who knows?

  10. #860
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Spokane/Schweitzer
    Posts
    6,408
    Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Seems like a pretty good deal for Schweitzer skiers. $200 for an Ikon Base without the Ikon crowds coming to your mountain. I wish Boyne would do that with their passes, and their even on the Ikon pass. I'll be interested to see if more non-Ikon resorts do this kind of partnership.

    Edit - Looks like Schwizz is on the Ikon now but the Ikon site hasn't been updated yet. Yeah, this sucks for them. Will get a lot more Seattle folks coming out.
    We knew about it as they were giving a day's notice to pass holders ahead of the public announcement. So, yeah, I expect a lot more Seattle traffic over here next year with this relationship. With all I've read in this thread with what's happened at Crystal with Ikon, I have fears...

  11. #861
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Keep Tacoma Feared
    Posts
    2,096
    Crystal is crowded now but I wouldn't blame this all on Ikon. It's the best overall ski area in Washington, and the Puget Sound region is booming, so it would be crowded regardless of who owns it. I think the same can be said of Schweitzer with Spokane also growing fast, and Schweitzer being the best overall resort. With Bachelor/Red/Schweitzer all joining Ikon the pass is a great value. I grew up racing in the PNW with annual races at Bachelor and Schweitzer but hadn't been back in 20 years because I am not paying for lift tickets. But now PNW road trips are now an affordable option. Just be glad none of the Mt Hood resorts are on Ikon otherwise you would have both Seattle and Portland crowds invading (although I met a few Portland skiers this year at Crystal with Ikon passes).

  12. #862
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    voting in seattle
    Posts
    4,588
    I only feel slightly sorry for the folks I know who fled Crystal/Seattle for Schweitzer/Sandpoint.

  13. #863
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,998
    Difference for Schweitzer is they aren't unlimited skiing for Ikon. I think they'll see an uptick for sure, but they are enough out of the way that I don't think it will be huge (other than Seattle visitors). They aren't a big enough draw to bring lots of tourists and they are far enough of a drive that a real road trip is tough.

  14. #864
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    At Work
    Posts
    2,748
    Schweitzer is one of the only mountains in the entire PNW that has a large amount of on-slope condos and hotels. I think this is a super savvy business move from Schweitzer that is going to be a little bit crummy for locals, but ultimately not that bad.

    Well heeled Puget Sounders who already ski at Crystal are going to rent condos for a week or so and use their Ikon passes and bring their families to ski up at Schweitzer for a vacation and change of scenery, but otherwise there won't be much effect I'd bet. It's too far for people to road trip there powder hunting and the storms that bring great snow to Schweitzer bring more/better snow to other Ikon locations.

    Gonna be awesome when the Puget Sounders realize the "views" from Schweitzer are 95% inside of a marshmallow fog and 5% marketing photo days.

  15. #865
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,603
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Schweitzer hasn't sold out...yet....but, this just came in today.

    https://www.schweitzer.com/plan/pickyourpass/

    One thing we know is that a lot of our Schweitzer skiers & riders love the opportunity to get out of town and explore. Thanks to Schweitzer's new partnership with the Ikon Pass, we can now offer an opportunity to explore even more through our new “Voyager Pass,” a pass product that includes an unlimited Schweitzer season pass and an Ikon Base Pass, unlocking access to every Ikon Base Pass destination worldwide.

    Not sure what this is going to ultimately mean to us but I suspect more crowded than it's ever been. Thank God I'm retiring this summer. Looks like mid-week skiing is the new program for me. Not happy...
    I really felt badly for the Schweitzer crowd. Unable to get out of town to explore other mountains because their local hill wasn't part of the Epic or Ikon club. Well, Schweitzer boys and girls, welcome to the club!

    FWIW my worst experience skiing ever was at Schweitzer. Maybe I will go and slay those demons with my Ikon pass winter '21/'22.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

  16. #866
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Spokane/Schweitzer
    Posts
    6,408
    ^^ What happened to make it a bad experience?

  17. #867
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,603
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    ^^ What happened to make it a bad experience?
    Generally crappy conditions. Major wind storm shut down the mountain for several days. They tried selling lift tickets but then closed the lifts down after I think was one run. Offered vouchers to use later that season. Got one day of skiing in during the 4 days we were there. The winds were just insane that year in early January. Just never let up but for one day. Granted it was mostly mother natures fault. The town was nice enough if you could get past all the trains going through Sand Point.

    Would like to go back when I have my Ikon Pass on full display. And actually ski more than what was probably only half the mountain open due to wind scoured runs and terrain closures.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

  18. #868
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    686
    Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Difference for Schweitzer is they aren't unlimited skiing for Ikon. I think they'll see an uptick for sure, but they are enough out of the way that I don't think it will be huge (other than Seattle visitors). They aren't a big enough draw to bring lots of tourists and they are far enough of a drive that a real road trip is tough.
    Schweitzer is the pit stop. Ikon drawing those road tripping tech bros, has the route all mapped out. Schweitzer Big sky Jackson Alta? Game over for anyone living in the Seattle area. Whistler who? Epic what?

  19. #869
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    voting in seattle
    Posts
    4,588
    If you put Jackson-Big Sky-Alta-Schweitzer together, Whistler-Blackcomb is still a better mountain, and closer.

  20. #870
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,998
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    If you put Jackson-Big Sky-Alta-Schweitzer together, Whistler-Blackcomb is still a better mountain, and closer.
    But that isn't an adventure for the van lifing tech Bro. Linking together 4-5 resorts over a 2-4 week period is the goal and now Schweitzer adds a reasonably positioned pit stop. Now, not many will be able to pull this type of trip off, but they can market the possibility.

  21. #871
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    panhandle locdog
    Posts
    7,151
    I look forward to showing you all around Schweitzer. It's so foggy that a local guide is essential.

  22. #872
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    980
    Euro experience:
    Train to Whitefish - overnighter for $100 - ski a few days
    Whitefish to Sandpoint - leave at 9pm, arrive at midnight - ski a few days - $40
    Sandpoint to Seattle - leave near midnight - overnight to Seattle

    those prices are for xmas of 2021 - all bets are off when the train doesn't stay on schedule

  23. #873
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,623
    Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I look forward to showing you all around Schweitzer. It's so foggy that a local guide is essential.
    Schweitzer was my home mtn during college. I dont think i knew there was a lake view for the entire first year there. It would be cool to go back, and the slopeside lodging is clutch with a baby onboard next year.

  24. #874
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    530
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    If you put Jackson-Big Sky-Alta-Schweitzer together, Whistler-Blackcomb is still a better mountain, and closer.
    No way.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  25. #875
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Spokane/Schweitzer
    Posts
    6,408
    Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I look forward to showing you all around Schweitzer. It's so foggy that a local guide is essential.
    Seriously, we have skiers lost requiring SAR in-bounds. It's so foggy, people have been lost for days.... [sarcasm meter may be required]

    I rode a chair one day with a guy, talking to him about where he's from, blah, blah, blah. It was one of those foggy periods we get around mid-January where we can be socked in for days. He says he's on his third day and been having a fun time, telling me what he's been skiing and so on. I asked him if he'd had a chance to ski the back bowl or any of the Lakeside Chutes. He looked at me curiously; "What's the back bowl?. He seriously wasn't aware of the other bowl, only frontside. I realize you might not be able to see it all the time in the fog but look at a trail map.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •