Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Afkpuz View Post
    Please put on your chains. Back in the early 80s, when they had cops checking on 410, I always did, on a 71 BMW 2002.
    I'm past calling people assholes, but I will accuse people of not giving a shit about each other.
    Yes, people follow too closely. They don't give a shit. All I can do is try to give a shit.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    They're planning on giving the 100 people turned around on 410 most times this year a free Ikon pass.
    So the 212th person gets fucked, right? I think there's legal grounds for misrepresentation of services.

I hope some of you call the FS and complain about mismanaging public resources.

Maybe the simple act of metering entrants onto the Blvd will allow for traffic to stay moving, thus avoiding spinouts as people try to get going uphill from a dead stop.

Fair enough. Looks like she was a pretty car btw, fun to drive I hope?

... Is that fuckin' true about the pass thing? Because that is some bullshit. Don't even know what to say to that.

Maybe the simple act of metering entrants onto the Blvd will allow for traffic to stay moving, thus avoiding spinouts as people try to get going uphill from a dead stop.
    Honestly not a bad point either... IIRC the worst saturday I've done was the same one I saw two expensive-looking audi SUVs with a lot of bells and whistles spun out for exactly this reason. If there's gonna be a chokepoint let people wait it out on the flat.

They need to line 410 with Honey Buckets. I always have to piss real bad right before the turn up the Blvd.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    They need to line 410 with Honey Buckets. I always have to piss real bad right before the turn up the Blvd.
    I've pulled over at the closure sign there before the left turn up to take care of that.

While even I run out of shit, I can see that I'm in questionable company when it comes to infinite piss and vinegar.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    You mean like an on ramp meter? Maybe pulses of 10 or 15 vehicles? I suppose... but would need law enforcement there to make it function.

It takes the threat of jail time to stop people poaching terrain being avalanche controlled... these powder technicians are not going to sit and wait for a green light in the middle of the forest.

And you know the fucking bus drivers will just blow right past in the downhill lane anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Id like to see some weekday powder days, like today are. With almost a foot of fresh over night to fill in the gaps, along with a solid wind buff, it bet it was skiing really nice. Normally 75% of my days have been on weekdays and obviously much prefer the whole experience. The mountain didnt feel crowded over in green valley, and as long as I stayed away from the lodges I was fine. However, I didn't like hearing about some of the overly intoxicated individuals (some dude even dropped a pill bottle skiing around getting chased by what I assume is security (yellow jackets). I also had some people on the gondola trying to convince me it wasn't worth heading over to northway which seem like he was trying to shoo me away from the goods.

I have an issue with crowds, so I try my hardest to stay away from large groups of people but I'm glad I guess with the limiting parking the extra space on the mountain. We really need more resorts or terrain/access expansion in existing ones, with access available from multiple point of entry distributed through different parts of the available parking. I dont ever need to see the lodge when I'm out skiing, just get me to a chair.

or just pay a wsp trooper overtime to turn folks around without chains... including AWD/4WD without chains in the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    or just pay a wsp trooper overtime to turn folks around without chains...
    As previously suggested. These guy's union have a great set up for rent a cop gigs.

including AWD/4WD without chains in the vehicle.
    While yes you're supposed to have them in AWD/4WD the delay in checking all such vehicles for them would be ridiculous.

And it really isn't un-chained AWD/4WD vehicles that cause the major problems. It's 2WD chaining up after getting stuck on the blvd... because they're really good drivers

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    A

And it really isn't un-chained AWD/4WD vehicles that cause the major problems. It's 2WD chaining up after getting stuck on the blvd... because they're really good drivers
    Almost all of the carnage we witnessed were 4 wheel spins from AWD's w/o dedicated snows that were stopped /backed up on an incline spinning all 4. Explorers, Subarus, Volvos, Mercs, etc. Lots full of big money cars without the right rubber.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

and awd/4wd who keep their oem all season tires on all winter.

you don't have to enforce it for every vehicle all the time, but a half dozen spot checks throughout the season can have a solid impact. It just enforces the idea of being prepared and thinking about road conditions.

the LEO OT for hire scheme is well ironed out across pretty much all departments. Every cop you see at a sports game, concert, road construction project, or assisting with parking isn't being paid by the tax payer.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    or just pay a wsp trooper overtime to turn folks around without chains... including AWD/4WD without chains or appropriate traction tires on or in the vehicle.
    FIFY

Subaru manual says no chains. Never had traction issues with X-ice on all four with AWD.

Crystal Mountain Becomes Alterra

I support a cop at the Blvd doing chain control.

As much as chain control sucks.... Look at i80 (donner pass) vs i70 (summit co).

Outside of straight up road closures - a slowdown on I80 is because of chain control. A slowdown on I70 is because of some 1984 Buick with bald tires spun out into the K-rail.

And there is a gatekeeping aspect about having to look a LEO in the face before you drive up a steep snowy road.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    my Subaru manual has nothing to do with WA State DOT policies.
    AWD/4WD need to have chains in the vehicle when they are required for all other vehicles.

you can put chains on a subaru.... they need to be the snug low profile ones but ya won't die.

Since I’ve never had to use chains, for a 4Runner SR5 that’s RWD and shifts to 4WD, what tires do you chain? Front or rear?

May buy a pair to keep in the back in the rare chance of them being required on AWD/4WD.

Normally, the WSP just waved AWD/4WD with snows on through.

Since I’ve never had to use chains, for a 4Runner SR5 that’s RWD and shifts to 4WD, what tires do you chain? Front or rear?

May buy a pair to keep in the back in the rare chance of them being required on AWD/4WD.
    on the drive wheels for 2wd...so, rear for you

Rear. Though its 4wd it isnt a 50-50 split on power sent to axles. I believe 4runners (or at least gen 4) is a 40-60 split front to rear. Someone please correct me if i am wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Normally, the WSP just waved AWD/4WD with snows on through.
    That's how I remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Almost all of the carnage we witnessed were 4 wheel spins from AWD's w/o dedicated snows that were stopped /backed up on an incline spinning all 4. Explorers, Subarus, Volvos, Mercs, etc. Lots full of big money cars without the right rubber.
    Yep, yep.

It's usually the first couple of miles up the blvd that cause the issue for unchained 2WD with above average drivers though.

Pretty unusual to ever see an AWD stuck there.

Saturday's chaos was apparently triggered by a bunch of vans... I hear.

If you enjoy drifting put them on the front.

And yes carry chains... there are signs all along 410 telling you this is state law.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    That's how I remember it.
    Yeah, but you're so old your memory is questionable.

;-)

blast from the past. deeznutz

The Altra-terrible sith lord speaks. Not sure if this has been posted yet. Remember when xtal had free tickets if the lot were full? Vibes here have changed, but the skiing is still great.

Recent snow offered a release to a collective pent-up excitement, bringing thousands of skiers and riders to the mountain. Unfortunately, it also brought with it traffic challenges and park-outs that limited access to the mountain for many. I know many of you have been able to enjoy outstanding snow conditions, and I know many of you have been frustrated, and I apologize for any disappointment. Crystal does have limited parking and we do park out during extreme peak periods and last night’s perfect storm brought over a foot of snow to Crystal. At the same time the storm closed mountain passes and completely cut off access to other resorts, driving extraordinarily high volume.

After last weekend’s park-out we took several steps to better communicate and help improve access to the mountain. We added additional mobile messaging in Enumclaw to warn skiers when lots are full. We added State Patrol to assist in messaging and traffic control We added five additional buses in Enumclaw to provide free service up to the mountain on high-volume days. (The bus is an easy, comfortable option, equipped with WiFi, and drop-off right at the plaza… it’s really a great way to get up to the mountain)

Despite planning several additional measures to communicate and accommodate more skiers and riders, a total park-out still occurred by 9:00 AM, and traffic was backed up for miles early in the morning. This proves we still have more work to do and I am committed to finding solutions to service and infrastructure problems to alleviate these constraints, particularly with parking.

There is much talk about the Ikon Pass. Yes, we’ve seen robust pass sales, but most of our Ikon Pass holders are primarily still Western WA skiers and riders. We also reduced the sales of other products, as skiers and riders moved to the Ikon. The simplest truth is that we’ve seen truly outstanding conditions, and great conditions result in more people wanting to ski. I’m proud of the fact that once on the mountain, our skiers and riders have been able to enjoy the classic Crystal experience – great mountain conditions, reasonable lift lines, uncrowded slopes, and a lot of fun; but I know that doesn’t help those who couldn’t join in on the fun.

We do have opportunities to expand parking this summer, and we’ll do so, but we also have to be smart in our growth and ensure that adding new guests doesn’t hurt the experience that makes Crystal stand head and shoulders above any other local ski experience.

If you’ve been turned away due to traffic issues, I am very sorry that you couldn’t join us. If you purchased skiing in advance but couldn’t use it, please know that any unredeemed vouchers with a 1/11/20 date will be valid any time over the rest of the season.

Throughout this winter, we will continue to gather feedback and ideas from you, we’ll continue to add bus service, and we’ll continue to improve our communication systems. Big powder days will always be at a premium and harder to get to, but making our skiers and riders happy is critical, and we know it.

Please send your ideas and feedback to gservice@skicrystal.com

We will listen.

Thank you for your loyalty and passion.

Frank DeBerry
    President & COO

https://www.crystalmountainresort.co...-nOkvTuQBUCf5E