Page 64 of 79 FirstFirst ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 1962
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Ok. Devil's advocate. 30/night x 30 nights/mo x 5 mo season = 4500 bones. $30/ night is not actually that bad. The bummer is that the pool of people who get to enjoy crashing the lot is so much smaller than it could otherwise be
    A motel 6 would at least give you a weekly rate.

Then again, they are just pricing what the market will bear. Seems enough folks are willing to pony up for everyone of the recent "improvements" proposed over the last few years.

I guess the question is how do we make skiing uncool again?

Quote Originally Posted by ptavv View Post
    The greater Puget Sound has some of the fewest (in bounds) skiable acres per capita and is one of the richer metro areas in the nation. I'm only surprised it took Alterra this long to get around to trying to find market-clearing prices (for all the wailing and gnashing of teeth on here and the B-lot FB group and elsewhere… B-lot camper spots are going to be sold out).

On Alterra's timeline a one year hit to good will / revenue / vibez to inconvenience some families (who have no real alternative) and then have the new buildings and a larger revenue stream in the future is a no brainer.
    Unfortunately this is pretty accurate. At the end of the day it’s a competitive market and people will probably be willing to spend $5k+ for the season to reserve ‘their’ spot. The culture has and will continue to change. Xtal is hardly the only thing in the Seattle area that is going to the pay up or get out route. Too many people making a relatively large amount of money trying to work and live in the same area for the same reasons with relatively limited resources.

Who knows, maybe a looming techpocalypse will clear out the surplus of millennials making $300-700k a year to work 20 hour work weeks.

Hopefully the reopening of the border will draw people back to Whistler. Crystal amenities can't even come close to Whistler and Crystal really isn't cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by RichV View Post
    Hopefully the reopening of the border will draw people back to Whistler. Crystal amenities can't even come close to Whistler and Crystal really isn't cheaper.
    The skiing certainly isn't more expensive if you get an Epic Pass or Edge card, however you do need to find a place to stay when you ski Whistler, and good luck finding anything cheap. You can stay in Pemberton or Squamish and drive in every day, of course, but most don't want to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    The skiing certainly isn't more expensive if you get an Epic Pass or Edge card, however you do need to find a place to stay when you ski Whistler, and good luck finding anything cheap. You can stay in Pemberton or Squamish and drive in every day, of course, but most don't want to do that.
    in 2018 and 2019 we got EDGE cards (currently works out to like ($75/day), and could find $100usd creekside condos pretty easily.

Protip: Do not stay at the Pemberton Hotel unless you plan to party (or can take out hearing aids, but even then the vibration is impressive). The pub downstairs is a concert venue and there is zero soundproofing to the rooms upstairs. Concerts until 2-3am.

Squamish is probably the place to be for cheap lodging that's not a hostel. There's some in Pemby, but not a whole lot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2022-10-26 08_17_37-Overnight and RV Parking _ Crystal Mountain Resort — Mozilla Firefox.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	431345

It's just so stupid.

Better jump on that before they sell out
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

just a cool $57/night (assuming a 4.5 month season)... plus water and sewer fees.

Or more likely, $214/night if you only use it every single weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    just a cool $57/night (assuming a 4.5 month season)... plus water and sewer fees.

Or more likely, $214/night if you only use it every single weekend.
    No water or sewer fees! Because there's no water or sewer available...

Crystal Mountain Becomes Alterra

If someone buys an RV spot for the season and only occasionally uses it, doesn’t that just leave an empty unused spot? Not sure how fast the RV parking fills up but that just seems shitty to turn other people away when there is an open unused spot.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    If someone buys an RV spot for the season and only occasionally uses it, doesn’t that just leave an empty unused spot? Not sure how fast the RV parking fills up but that just seems shitty to turn other people away because when there is an open unused spot.

Dude, airbnb the shit out of your luxury RV. I wonder if there is any fine-print to the RV spots? Plenty of folks will pay $150/night to stay in a really nice RV parked at the base.

How mobile does the RV need to be? Can i drop a single-wide in one of the spots for the season?

Also, i am a little surprised they arent overselling the RV passes, and then requiring reservations. That would be more in line with the season pass policy, no?

Crystal Mountain Becomes Alterra

Dude, airbnb the shit out of your luxury RV. I wonder if there is any fine-print to the RV spots? Plenty of folks will pay $150/night to stay in a really nice RV parked at the base.

How mobile does the RV need to be? Can i drop a single-wide in one of the spots for the season?

Also, i am a little surprised they arent overselling the RV passes, and then requiring reservations. That would be more in line with the season pass policy, no?
    Mega Corp will break your legs if they don’t get a cut.

Quote Originally Posted by cstefanic View Post
    It's just so stupid.
    Let's face it, from a make as much money as you can perspective, it is brilliant. Wealthy Crystal season pass holders were complaining how crowded it was, and how season passes were too cheap. So Alterra gave them what they want, a $1700 (now $1849) season pass.

Then those same wealthy, entitled, long time season pass holders complained that they had to make reservations for RV spots and compete with the peons. So Crystal gave them what they want, a $6,999 space that is all theirs.

If someone buys an RV spot for the season and only occasionally uses it, doesn’t that just leave an empty unused spot? Not sure how fast the RV parking fills up but that just seems shitty to turn other people away because when there is an open unused spot.
    Ya, people are going to be pretty pissed when Crystal says the parking lot is full only to have a bunch of empty RV spots sitting there unused.

The people who buy a $6,999 RV spot don't care about trying to AirBNB it out for extra cash. This is chump change for them.

Buy your RV spot, park the Airstream there permanently for the season, take the Rover back to Seattle during the weekdays, back Friday evening with your own mountain chalet within walking distance to the gondy for $7k.

So what's the next unpopular thing Crystal is going to try out? I'm going with "fast lane" passes like Bachelor.

So what's the next unpopular thing Crystal is going to try out? I'm going with "fast lane" passes like Bachelor.
    “First Tracks”.

But instead of 8-9am they will do 9-10am just to be dicks.

Park it there and Airbnb the shit out of it. Nice camper. 150$ per night. Fuck them back.

that is brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    I think the bullion basin snowshoe trails are a better use of that exceptionally marginal terrain.

Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by L82thegate View Post
    Lift improvements / ski runs could affect B.C. access via the cat track also. Inside the managed area puts it under the flashing light rules that presently don't apply.

This is my concern with expanding that direction. The wilderness burn is some of the best touring in the area. It's already tricky enough to access the Bullion portal with the parking situation.

I bet it'll be paid parking for all, every day. Not just Fri/Sat/Sun/Holiday.

It's just so stupid.

Yes it is. Greedy fucks.

Man I remember some great times based in B-lot and it makes me sad that I might never go back. Some big storms, fun parties, night shenanigans on the gondola, music and ski movies and fireplace chillin at the Elk with excellent nachos and pitchers of Elk Frost. Ski to the bar after last chair, ski across the bridge and down the path to B-lot to wind down... so fun. Sigh.

For a few seasons I'd poach the spot by the propane tank. I think I paid like twice. It was twenty bucks then.

I remember Skibum Roberts parking next to me in his little green Geo or whatever. He sat in the camper for a while to warm up and we talked about running into each other on Rainier and elsewhere. RIP

Hummel parked a couple spots down once, and had a bunch of strawberry moonshine that made the rounds with the various ski friends who'd pop into the RV. His brother got fall-down fucked up and I was worried he'd go blind, lol.

My daughter's first trip up into the snow was in B-lot, the first trip of many with the camper as kid-ski-base.

Good pow that weekend... cold deep December pow laps on Campbell.

That mountain is sweet but the management can get bent. Fuck Alterra and their ilk. Fuck the corporate grabs of ski hills. It is ruining skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Let's face it, from a make as much money as you can perspective, it is brilliant. Wealthy Crystal season pass holders were complaining how crowded it was, and how season passes were too cheap. So Alterra gave them what they want, a $1700 (now $1849) season pass.

Then those same wealthy, entitled, long time season pass holders complained that they had to make reservations for RV spots and compete with the peons. So Crystal gave them what they want, a $6,999 space that is all theirs.

Ya, people are going to be pretty pissed when Crystal says the parking lot is full only to have a bunch of empty RV spots sitting there unused.

The people who buy a $6,999 RV spot don't care about trying to AirBNB it out for extra cash. This is chump change for them.
    Capitalism rules...for the rich entitled folks. Not so much for the ski bum. Welcome to America.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

solid post norse

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2022-10-26 08_17_37-Overnight and RV Parking _ Crystal Mountain Resort — Mozilla Firefox.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	431345

It's just so stupid.
    Or 20-30 nights at Crystal mountain hotels at peak rates, which benefits more then just Altera’s PE investors.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Fuck Alterra and their ilk. Fuck the corporate grabs of ski hills. It is ruining skiing.
    Quoted for emphasis.

I've always been envious of the parking lot camping scene you guys have. Hope this isn't the beginning of more places ruining this.

If someone buys an RV spot for the season and only occasionally uses it, doesn’t that just leave an empty unused spot? Not sure how fast the RV parking fills up but that just seems shitty to turn other people away when there is an open unused spot.
    If they're smart and as assholish as they seem to be they'll do it like marinas do. They rent out vacated spots for the night, based on how long they'll be vacated, and the marina gets the fees. Wonder there's fine print about requirements to notify management if your $7k spot will be empty so they can fill it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.