Page 62 of 79 FirstFirst ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 1963
    Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Skier206 View Post
    Maybe... I know a number of people ditching Crystal for Alpental since 7 days isn't enough and they don't want to pay the high price for the full pass. But I agree, on weekend powder days the lot will fill and lines will be long.

Even if things improve some, gone are the days where the lot would only fill 2-3 days a year. Doesn't matter how much they raise the price. There just aren't enough ski resorts driving distance from Seattle.
    You mean 14 days isn't enough? Since you get 7 at Alpy as well...

Hey good for them. I'm getting the Crystal Pass. Alpy is only skiable when the snow "sucks".

14 days locally with a long weekend trip or two to Bachelor and/or Schweitzer. Throw in some Muir lap days for people with "sidecountry" setups.

Most of the people I know might chafe under the idea of no unlimited days at a local resort but actually wouldn't hit the limits.

If I was a betting man, pessimisticly I'd wager Alterra took a look at average # of days at Crystal per locally sold IKON pass and realized that it wouldn't change too much while being able to soak the dedicated skiers who do want to put in an unlimited number of days with their pocket meats and PBJ sandwiches.

Moral of the story? I need better friends
    Last edited by Ørion; 10-04-2022 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ørion View Post
    If I was a betting man, pessimisticly I'd wager Alterra took a look at average # of days at Crystal per locally sold IKON pass and realized that it wouldn't change too much while being able to soak the dedicated skiers who do want to put in an unlimited number of days with their pocket meats and PBJ sandwiches.
    Ya, Alterra analyticed the shit out of this. Those MBAs they have working for them have to earn their money somehow.

I went with midweek but it was a tough decision as I like to ski weekends on occasion too. I don't think I will get that many mid-week days but I figure at least more than 8, which I think was the break even point on the pass. On top of this, I am pretty sure if I go back to Ikon Pass next year I will not get the renewal discount (because I don't have an Ikon pass, even though I have a midweek pass to an Ikon owned resort). They got us by the balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Ørion View Post
    14 days locally with a long weekend trip or two to Bachelor and/or Schweitzer. Throw in some Muir lap days for people with "sidecountry" setups.

Most of the people I know might chafe under the idea of no unlimited days at a local resort but actually wouldn't hit the limits.

Moral of the story? I need better friends
    I'm pretty miffed Ikon was like fuck the PNW, they don't need anywhere they can ride more than 7 times. Ended up getting epic pass to fill the gaps, as much as I hate vail corp, was mostly a move of desperation since I already have trips to whistler and CO planned, plus plan to ski every weekend w/ some weekdays mixed in when the weather calls for it, so having stevens as a back up is nice I guess. Feels like there's no good answer here anymore - baker is a trek, snoqualmie is super hit or miss and stevens/crystal are overpacked and owned by evil overlords.

Quote Originally Posted by eSock View Post
    Feels like there's no good answer here anymore - baker is a trek, snoqualmie is super hit or miss and stevens/crystal are overpacked and owned by evil overlords.
    That could be said for most places out west, save for maybe Colorado, which seems to have a healthy count of independent areas that remain comparatively uncrowded and with functional amounts of snowfall.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    That could be said for most places out west, save for maybe Colorado, which seems to have a healthy count of independent areas that remain comparatively uncrowded and with functional amounts of snowfall.
    Um, Utah? Powder, Snow Basin, Beaver, Brian Head, etc.

But, overall, the ratio of ski areas to population is worse in the Puget Sound than the Front Range or Wasatch Front or even San Francisco by far. It having been such a great secret for so long makes it all the more bitter. The supply demand ratio in the Puget Sound is perfect for the rapacious corporate assholes.

The gloom generally doesn't bother me, although last June it did go on just a wee bit long. But I find the rain soothing. Admittedly, I do make forays to ski in sunnier, much more friendly locales where I actually ski with people.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 10-05-2022 at 01:05 PM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Um, Utah? Powder, Snow Basin, Beaver, Brian Head, etc.

But, overall, the ratio of ski areas to population is worse in the Puget Sound than the Front Range or Wasatch Front or even San Francisco by far. It having been such a great secret for so long makes it all the more bitter. The supply demand ratio in the Puget Sound is perfect for the rapacious corporate assholes.

The gloom generally doesn't bother me, although last June it did go on just a wee bit long. But I find the rain soothing. Admittedly, I do make forays to ski in sunnier, much more friendly locales where I actually ski with people.
    That's fair. Though I would think that the lot of the Salt Lake megaplex is approaching that of Seattle. Of all the times I've skied Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons, they all seemed plenty busy with their fair share of crushing crowds.

Granted it's different with PowMow, Basin, Park City, Canyons, DV, Brighton, Solitude, Alta, Snowbird, Sundance historically attracting remote vacationers adding to the growing local pressure.

But Crystal, Snoqualmie/Alpental and Stevens have less than 1/4 of the ski resources Wasatch Front areas do while both Epic and Ikon have started to bring in a lot of remote vacationers to the PNW where NYC brokers now scream at board members on our ostensibly worse traverses and trenditos pack the gondy.

Sure seems like more of a shock to the PNW over the last 20 years than to UT.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Granted it's different with PowMow, Basin, Park City, Canyons, DV, Brighton, Solitude, Alta, Snowbird, Sundance historically attracting remote vacationers adding to the growing local pressure.

But Crystal, Snoqualmie/Alpental and Stevens have less than 1/4 of the ski resources Wasatch Front areas do while both Epic and Ikon have started to bring in a lot of remote vacationers to the PNW where NYC brokers now scream at board members on our ostensibly worse traverses and trenditos pack the gondy.

Sure seems like more of a shock to the PNW over the last 20 years than to UT.
    Also fair. My thought was that with the large metroplex of SLC so close, it would see similar issues as we see in the PNWet. I guess the difference is that the UT areas in the Wasatch all have more acreage than the PNW resorts, and maybe not as many people ski out of SLC as they do in the greater Puget Sound?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Also fair. My thought was that with the large metroplex of SLC so close, it would see similar issues as we see in the PNWet. I guess the difference is that the UT areas in the Wasatch all have more acreage than the PNW resorts, and maybe not as many people ski out of SLC as they do in the greater Puget Sound?
    Parking limits how many people can ski in BCC / LCC and the lots are relatively small. Different story in Park City where there’s a ton of parking and the lines look like they can get truly epic.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Anyone see this?

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Anyone see this?
    Where's the None of the Above option on those prices?

I looked and looked but didn't find the "go fuck yourself" button

That is crazy even if you are living in your RV for the entire season, Xtal sure is run by a bunch of greedy bastards
    You Will Respect My Authoritah!

What a stupid PR move. They should at least try to pretend to add value to the customer at a reasonable profit… not just straight up ask “hey, how much money can we squeeze out of you?”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

The Crystal RV crowd strikes be as both extremely rich, and extremely entitled. With parking at premium, think how many parking spots would be created if Crystal removed all of these RV spots. And now that non pass holding, weekend warrior serfs have to pony up to $30 a day to park, I am sure Crystal is thinking of ways to extract more money from these RV 1%ers and their million dollar land yachts.

I say remove 1/3 of the RV spots and turn them into regular parking spots. Another third should be turned into non-hook up spots, with vehicle length limited to less than 25 ft, and then charge a reasonable nightly rate of, say, $20, like White Pass does (it's $125-$115 peak rate at Crystal right now). And the remaining third can be reserved for these multi-millionaires who are too cheap to pony up for an overpriced shack in Greenwater. They can continue to drive their land yachts but charge them $100k for a season RV parking pass. I am sure they can afford it. Use the proceeds to eliminate parking fees for the rest of us.
    Last edited by altasnob; 10-20-2022 at 09:17 AM.

I refuse to do Ikon/Crystal "surveys" anymore...just probing questions for how much they can gouge us.

Fuckin' embarrassing.

What a great mountain run by absolute fuckwits

Quote Originally Posted by Fishskisurf View Post
    I refuse to do Ikon/Crystal "surveys" anymore...just probing questions for how much they can gouge us.
    not to mention data mining to add to your profile.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

The main lodge at Crystal will no longer have the cafeteria and seating starting this season. If you want to sit inside you can use the tent (Raven Hall). It seems like we are getting good value for our $1700 season passes this year. See copied announcement below.

CASCADE LODGE
    New use of space Winter 22/23
    REIMAGINE CRYSTAL
    MOUNTAIN COMMONS
    CASCADE LODGE
    AERIAL ADVENTURE COURSE
    This winter, Cascade Lodge will be transformed to accommodate every skier and snowboarder’s needs. Level one of the lodge will continue to house both the men’s and women’s restrooms, water refill stations, and information about upcoming events, promotions and more.

Level two of the Cascade Lodge will now be home to Crystal Mountain’s human resources and central staffing offices providing a break room for staff. Level two will have new seasonal lockers available for rent through guest services.

Level three, which once housed the Cascade Grill, will now be home to the Youth Adventure Club (formerly known as Kids Club) this season. Cascade Grill will relocate to a food container in discovery meadow with outdoor seating options and indoor seating available in Raven Hall.

Level four will welcome Brand X, now encompassing rentals, demos, the tune shop, and ski check so all your equipment needs are in one place. Brand x will be conveniently located next to the lift lines, making it easy to stop and grab your gear and get right back in line. New this season, the gear check will be available to store your skis, snowboards, bags, and more all winter. For your daily locker needs, there will be kiosks available to make renting a breeze.

The Rafter’s Smokehouse will remain on level five for one more winter season before the smoker moves into the Mountain Commons to open the new Smokehouse restaurant.

I thought I worked with some pretty stupid people, but whoever is doing all of the planning for this winter up at Crystal definitely takes the cake.

I'm sure families will be extremely excited to get all their food from shipping containers and being forced to eat in temporary tents, all for only $1,700.

Crystal Mountain Becomes Alterra

It almost like Crystal management saw the screwed up season at Stevens last year and elected to try and outdo it in 22-23.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

They've been grooming everyone for years. First it was the umbrella. Then summer glamping. Now lunchroom tents.

UN
    B
    Lievable
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

It’s just an ever evolving comedy of errors in decision making.

Employee housing has been turned into what looks like another 300-500 spots, that at least seems to make sense