Page 43 of 62 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1532
  1. #1051
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    It looked like there was very little plowing this morning. Short staffed? I hit Mud Mt about 6:30. Always too many Camrys.
    They may have started plowing right after you, I was at mud mountain around 7:30ish and both lanes looked like they had at least 1 pass of plowing done to them. As mentioned though, it seemed like plows were only touching the main driving lanes, shoulders and pullouts were still packed with snow.
    "If I could have any K2 skis this year I'd go with the Volkl Gotamas." - Monique

  2. #1052
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    7,901
    Just got an email from the AG's office acknowledging my complaint and that they'd found it worthy of some (low level) involvement. Probably won't purse given reversal of lift reservation system, but good to know the complaint has some merit in their eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

  3. #1053
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    32,866
    Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Just got an email from the AG's office acknowledging my complaint and that they'd found it worthy of some (low level) involvement. Probably won't purse given reversal of lift reservation system, but good to know the complaint has some merit in their eyes.
    Same here.

    If nothing else it might keep Frank on his toes in future. Or a pivot to the parking reservations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  4. #1054
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    242
    Xtal just sent out this via email:

    This message contains graphics. If you do not see the graphics, click here to view.
    VIEW IN BROWSER



    Road to Crystal Mountain
    THE PERFECT STORM THIS WEEKEND AT CRYSTAL MOUNTAIN

    All of us in the Pacific Northwest ski and ride community have observed the four feet or more of snowfall this week with pleasure and anticipation. We also know that the road conditions over the mountain passes have been challenging this week and may be closed through Sunday, however, forecasts call for mild and potentially sunny weather this weekend.


    It’s a recipe for a perfect storm at Crystal this weekend where there will be more skiers and riders wanting to come up than the mountain and resort can physically hold.


    We have been thinking about this scenario in depth and want to share our thoughts on how best to approach this weekend for a positive experience:


    Communication
    Crystal will communicate to our guests frequently tomorrow morning on what parking and transportation is looking like, via SMS text alert, website alerts, app notifications, social media and importantly, the electronic sign in Enumclaw.


    Arrive Early
    Please plan on getting to Crystal early if you want to ensure you’ll be able to get on the mountain.


    Carpool
    More people in fewer cars helps the greater good and remember: carpools of four or more do not have to pay to park.


    Take The Bus
    Our plan to significantly increase bus shuttle service out of Enumclaw has been put in place. Shuttle service is available for guests who reserve it, or if space is available, for walk-on passengers. For information on available bus reservations go to crystalmountainexpress.com

    No Day Tickets Available at the Window
    We will not be selling any day tickets at the ticket window or online, only Friends and Family tickets. Please do not visit if you don’t already have a pass product and are not Friends and Family. You will not be able to buy a lift ticket until 1:00pm.


    Night Skiing
    Arrive after 1:00pm for night skiing which is open until 8:00pm tomorrow. Parking will be free, lift tickets available, and the snow is fantastic.


    If we’re being candid, please be smart about your plan to visit Crystal this weekend. We are doing our best to accommodate as many skiers and riders as we can including an unprecedented number of free buses.

    If you can enjoy the sunny weather while enjoying other activities, this might be the weekend to consider it. But this weekend in particular, because of this convergence of snow, weather, and pass closures, please think about your plan. We genuinely may not be able to accommodate all visitors this weekend.
    You Will Respect My Authoritah!

  5. #1055
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    143
    Ok, so I’m not actually advocating for one over the other, but I’m having a hard time understanding why everyone here thinks that parking at Crystal should be allocated on a first-come, first-serve basis, rather through a reservation system. I'm undecided as to which of these two "solutions" I dislike the least. Don’t get me wrong, I’m furious that Ikon created the parking problem in the first place by overselling passes (and as so many have said, they should be held accountable, I’d like to see them cap sales for next year, etc).

    Perhaps naive of me, but now that we’re in this fucked situation, why is first-come, first-serve basis better? Isn’t a reservation system also a first-come, first-serve basis? If the argument is that first-come, first-serve allocates parking to those who “want it more”, then isn’t a reservation system doing a similar thing (i.e. you have to spend a bunch of time at your computer/check back multiple times a day), except that you don’t have to get up at 6am and drive for a couple of hours to figure out if you’ll get to ski on that day?

    But then maybe people here are more freaked out about the reservation system because they doubt Ikon’s ability to implement the proper IT infrastructure to ensure that the reservations system won’t be a shit show. And maybe worried too that people won’t play by the rules and cancel their reservations on time so that someone else can enjoy them.

  6. #1056
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    S-E-A-T-O-W-N
    Posts
    1,763
    I'm concerned that with the 2 reservation limit, I'll make my 2 and then they'll all be booked until April. That's worse.

  7. #1057
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    25,783
    Quote Originally Posted by powder_to_the_people View Post
    Ok, so I’m not actually advocating for one over the other, but I’m having a hard time understanding why everyone here thinks that parking at Crystal should be allocated on a first-come, first-serve basis, rather through a reservation system. I'm undecided as to which of these two "solutions" I dislike the least. Don’t get me wrong, I’m furious that Ikon created the parking problem in the first place by overselling passes (and as so many have said, they should be held accountable, I’d like to see them cap sales for next year, etc).

    Perhaps naive of me, but now that we’re in this fucked situation, why is first-come, first-serve basis better? Isn’t a reservation system also a first-come, first-serve basis? If the argument is that first-come, first-serve allocates parking to those who “want it more”, then isn’t a reservation system doing a similar thing (i.e. you have to spend a bunch of time at your computer/check back multiple times a day), except that you don’t have to get up at 6am and drive for a couple of hours to figure out if you’ll get to ski on that day?

    But then maybe people here are more freaked out about the reservation system because they doubt Ikon’s ability to implement the proper IT infrastructure to ensure that the reservations system won’t be a shit show. And maybe worried too that people won’t play by the rules and cancel their reservations on time so that someone else can enjoy them.
    The resey system has been and will likely continue to be gamed by bots for one thing.
    But the original objection had to do with ski reseys, not parking reseys.

    Fundamentally though, the problem is that Alterra is knowingly selling more passes than the area can accommodate.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  8. #1058
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Keep Tacoma Feared
    Posts
    3,451
    I don't think Crystal, or anyone else, can run a reservation parking system at a ski area without it turning into a shit show. Crystal will limit the reserveable spots for X, but in reality, you can always fit in one more car. People will figure this out and go up even without a reservation. I don't think Crystal has the active manpower to go around and check every car in all of their lots. So I still expect slow drives for people who don't get up early. Also, what about no shows? When they had skiing reservations, it was easy to catch, and punish, the now shows because their pass wasn't scanned. Not sure how Crystal will figure out you no showed. Are they really going to scan every plate? The situation with backcountry access is totally fucked because of this reservation rule and ripe for a law suit. Do they need a reservation? They have to pay $30 on the weekend (which is lame), but can they park for free if they carpool in a group of 4? If so, where do they park (it says this on Crystal's website but is very ambiguous). I don't think the status quo is broken. I ski the busiest of weekend days and have never been turned away. Yes, I am leaving Tacoma around 6 am these days but that is not that big of a deal.

  9. #1059
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    7,901
    Because if I'm wiling to get up early enough I can ski whenever I want. If I can only make a certain number of any kind of reservation at once I am limited to those days I reserved.

    Quote Originally Posted by powder_to_the_people View Post
    Ok, so I’m not actually advocating for one over the other, but I’m having a hard time understanding why everyone here thinks that parking at Crystal should be allocated on a first-come, first-serve basis, rather through a reservation system. I'm undecided as to which of these two "solutions" I dislike the least. Don’t get me wrong, I’m furious that Ikon created the parking problem in the first place by overselling passes (and as so many have said, they should be held accountable, I’d like to see them cap sales for next year, etc).

    Perhaps naive of me, but now that we’re in this fucked situation, why is first-come, first-serve basis better? Isn’t a reservation system also a first-come, first-serve basis? If the argument is that first-come, first-serve allocates parking to those who “want it more”, then isn’t a reservation system doing a similar thing (i.e. you have to spend a bunch of time at your computer/check back multiple times a day), except that you don’t have to get up at 6am and drive for a couple of hours to figure out if you’ll get to ski on that day?

    But then maybe people here are more freaked out about the reservation system because they doubt Ikon’s ability to implement the proper IT infrastructure to ensure that the reservations system won’t be a shit show. And maybe worried too that people won’t play by the rules and cancel their reservations on time so that someone else can enjoy them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

  10. #1060
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8,958
    Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Because if I'm wiling to get up early enough I can ski whenever I want. If I can only make a certain number of any kind of reservation at once I am limited to those days I reserved.
    It’s like the whole “early bird gets the worm” motto is shit now.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  11. #1061
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    7,901
    I mean, that's been it my entire ski life. You wanna beat the crowds, traffic, shitshow, you fucking pack up the car the night before and get the fuck out the door in the morning. I don't really get why that's suddenly not a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

  12. #1062
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    25,783
    Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I mean, that's been it my entire ski life. You wanna beat the crowds, traffic, shitshow, you fucking pack up the car the night before and get the fuck out the door in the morning. I don't really get why that's suddenly not a thing.
    ^this.
    Problem is, it increasingly is a thing.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  13. #1063
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    voting in seattle
    Posts
    4,911
    As buster said everyone else seems happy to wake up earlier too. Plenty of times I was on the blvd by 7 and still was an hour to the parking lot.

  14. #1064
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Keep Tacoma Feared
    Posts
    3,451
    So how are they going to enforce this new parking reservation system? Are they going to walk around the parking lots with license plate scanners like they implied they would do to enforce their parking registration idea. Or are they going to go like Bachelor, stand in the middle of the boulevard, and scan every single vehicle that passes through? That would make it easier to ensure all have and are using their parking reservation but create a choke spot.

  15. #1065
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Lost in the PNWet
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    So how are they going to enforce this new parking reservation system? Are they going to walk around the parking lots with license plate scanners like they implied they would do to enforce their parking registration idea. Or are they going to go like Bachelor, stand in the middle of the boulevard, and scan every single vehicle that passes through? That would make it easier to ensure all have and are using their parking reservation but create a choke spot.
    I've actually seen the employees scanning while tailgating for lunch so presumably they'll continue the same.

    I am curious how they'll enforce no-shows though. Theoretically they could claim they never scanned your plates but it would be pretty easy to counterclaim that they just missed your vehicle in the chaos that is those lots.

  16. #1066
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Keep Tacoma Feared
    Posts
    3,451
    What if you come up for an hour or two (so were actually there) but Crystal never scans your plate? Do you get punished as a no show?

    Crystal doesn't have the manpower to even enforce the current parking rules. Below is a photo I took last year of someone scoring a choice parking spot! They simply can't pull this off.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201217_105742.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	743.9 KB 
ID:	400301

  17. #1067
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,323
    Wow. Do people not even try anymore? The spot is legit, but dude didn't even tuck it in. What a pussified tool.

  18. #1068
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    14,320
    Haaa that sums it up quite well

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  19. #1069
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    7,901
    I know and agree (and know you do the same thing), but it doesn't seem to have changed at all that if you hit 410 by 6:30 or earlier you're good to go. At least that's been my experience even on busy days in the last two seasons. And judging from the timing of the "full lots" messages I've been seeing this weekend, that still rings true.

    I mean, it's just survival of the fittest. If you want to go skiing get out of bed. It's always been that way and should remain so.

    Lift lines and crowds are of course another story. Pics from the last two days are just unbelievable in that regard.

    I do think Xtal has been trying the last week with their increased communications but that doesn't resolve or forgive the massive overselling of passes and unserviceable numbers. It also doesn't forgive the complete denial of any accountability which is simply stunning. Or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    ^this.
    Problem is, it increasingly is a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

  20. #1070
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    11,767
    Quote Originally Posted by dunderhead View Post
    exactly, demand has eclipsed supply, it did 2 decades ago. Forest Service needs to do prospectus and offer up multiple other locations for low impact ski hills to take the strain off the pitifully few that are in our state. They won't because they are colluding with Vail, Alterra, KSL, etc. to create monopolies. Forest Service is also scared, lazy, clueless, bureaucratic and sold out. This is their fucking job, and they are not doing it, this is our land and forest service is locking it away.
    What percentage of skiable terrain is the FS “locking away” in the WA Cascades?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  21. #1071
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    11,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    SLC (greater population Wasatch Front: 2,606,548) has Snow Basin, PowMou, Park City, Deer Valley, Canyons, Solitude, Brighton, Alta and Snowbird, Sundance within an hours drive.
    Seattle (greater population Puget Sound: 4,264,200) has Crystal, Alpental and Stevens, at more like within 2 hours drive.

    Supply/demand.
    The Puget Sound needs more ski areas.
    Wants more ski areas, it’s an important distinction


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  22. #1072
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    11,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    We all know there's lots of options outside of wilderness, in logged areas in the WA Cascades. Again, for the zillionth time, see TAFKALWS list.
    Most recently logged areas are on private land, the exception is some salvage logging in fire areas on the east slopes. Refresh us on the areas that lws has listed.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  23. #1073
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    voting in seattle
    Posts
    4,911
    Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I know and agree (and know you do the same thing), but it doesn't seem to have changed at all that if you hit 410 by 6:30 or earlier you're good to go. At least that's been my experience even on busy days in the last two seasons. And judging from the timing of the "full lots" messages I've been seeing this weekend, that still rings true.
    I don't know, the standard of getting to the mountain 2.5 hours before it opens seems like a waste of everyone's time. leaving Seattle by 5 is pretty unreasonable expectation for anyone with kids. Maybe instead of passes costing $1500-$2000 the barrier to entry will be affording a second home on 410.

    I'm actually ok with reservations. -if they plan 8 months in advance and be transparent.
    Last edited by XavierD; 01-09-2022 at 03:59 PM.

  24. #1074
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    32,866
    It takes you 90 minutes to get to Enumclaw from Seattle?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  25. #1075
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    voting in seattle
    Posts
    4,911
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    It takes you 90 minutes to get to Enumclaw from Seattle?
    an hour from 90 north of the bridge add a potential stop for coffee/gas, and 10 minutes to get on I-5.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •