Page 24 of 79 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nwslider View Post
    I was that guy calling to complain about the way they are prioritizing reservations. Their response was basically acknowledging it was a shitty situation and that the solution was to increase the amount of Ikon reservations allowed each day. I think that is a good idea but the real solution would be to not sell day tickets when passholder reservations are full.

They also said that Ikon (Alterra) was setting the reservation quotas and not Crystal Mountain. I don't see the distinction between the two but maybe I just don't get it.
    The distinction is bullshit.

Class action lawsuit people. Alterra should only sell the number of seasons passes they can afford to support.

Making shit up along the way, after they have our money is fraud.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Template for a letter to your congress people:

Representative,

Alterra Corporation bought Crystal Mountain near Enumclaw, Washington ski area a little over a year ago..

Since then, they have been selling more tickets than the area can support.

I mailed and messaged you about this last year, akin to managing a stadium that can accommodate 70,000 people built with public funds, then selling 150,000 tickets.

This year, when COVID-19 is a national health issue, they continued to sell an unlimited number of unlimited passes. By an unlimited pass, it's meant that the pass can be used any time the area is operational.

Out of the blue, they implemented a COVID management plan to require reservations to use the area. There are not enough reservations for each passholder on weekend days.
    This is a breach of contract while leveraging USFS leases to public land, since the unlimited passes sold are now limited in use by the reservation system.

Moreover, Alterra are now selling single day passes, passes good for one day, on days when there are no reservations available for unlimited pass holders.

Alterra Corporation is in breach of the Public Trust by selling more passes than the area can accommodate, not to mention the thousands of contracts for each of the passes sold.

Please help defend your constituents against this abuse of the Public Trust and continuing ant-Trust behavior..

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    The distinction is bullshit.

Class action lawsuit people. Alterra should only sell the number of seasons passes they can afford to support.

Making shit up along the way, after they have our money is fraud.
    There is almost certainly an arbitration clause in the season pass contract which makes any class action extremely difficult. Basically until sufficient arbitrations have been requested by disgruntled pass holders to make the cost of defending them prohibitive Alterra won't waive that clause. It's something that some plaintiff firms are starting to do given the proliferation of these clauses, getting over this hurdle is a big risk though since it requires $$$ even more up front than usual.

There is litigation going on at the moment by a putative class of Airbnb hosts regarding a similar Covid-19 situation. It only managed to get around their arbitration clause so far because Airbnb failed to pay arbitration fees by a set deadline. Apparently it's still on shaky ground though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    There is almost certainly an arbitration clause in the season pass contract which makes any class action extremely difficult. Basically until sufficient arbitrations have been requested by disgruntled pass holders to make the cost of defending them prohibitive Alterra won't waive that clause. It's something that some plaintiff firms are starting to do given the proliferation of these clauses, getting over this hurdle is a big risk though since it requires $$$ even more up front than usual.

There is litigation going on at the moment by a putative class of Airbnb hosts regarding a similar Covid-19 situation. It only managed to get around their arbitration clause so far because Airbnb failed to pay arbitration fees by a set deadline. Apparently it's still on shaky ground though.
    That may be true for most seasons passes.
    I doubt the Founders have any such clause.

In any case, people should be writing their representatives. This is bullshit on so many levels.

Offering day tickets (or afternoon tickets) to the public when "unlimited pass holders" aren't able to make reservations is bullshit... Got my pitchfork ready

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I doubt the Founders have any such clause.
    Do you know how many founders passes there are floating around? Probably not a big enough class to make the economics work is my guess.

There might be some hidden new wording slid in any renewal process that took place this year, or previous years that would have overridden by your consent any original founders agreement with Boyne.

I tried briefly to get a copy of the contract from them when the shutdown or reservation system came into effect... They were very shifty about it. I kinda lost interest in chasing. Be interesting to hear what they said about such an enquiry now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ow_My_Balls View Post
    I asked for DeBerry's email, and they said to use the general customer service email (gservice@skicrystal.com). I wonder how many will actually get through.
    outofhisdepth@crystal.com?

fdeberry@skicrystal.com according to a sales tool I use at work. Wouldn't hurt if we all emailed him.

I've never broken out my customer service voice before, but this situation is pretty messed up. If anyone wants a template for an email...

fdeberry@skicrystal.com

Frank,

I am deeply disappointed with the sale of any day or evening tickets to the public when season pass holders are unable to secure reservations.

I bought my season pass based on your statement that pass holder access would be prioritized in the case of a reservation system. Your actions recently have shown this was a lie.

This bait-and-switch is scummy business practice, and an obvious cash grab.

I urge you to deliver on your promise of pass holder prioritization while reservations are required.

Yeah this is totally fucked. Not sure what to do other than write 1,000 emails.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I would be interested to see what happens if you ski without a reservation. Will your pass not scan? Will they pull your pass for the season. If you read Crystals instagram they are suggesting pass holders ride on weekdays when demand is lower. All I want to do is ski.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Skier206 View Post
    Yeah this is totally fucked. Not sure what to do other than write 1,000 emails.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Wouldn't twitter get more traction with the (larger) group of people that ski Crystal, are pissed off with Alterra, but don't hang out on the TGR forums?

Quote Originally Posted by Stairmaster View Post
    All I want to do is ski whenever I want to without a reservation as the word 'unlimited' implies
    FIFY
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Spot on old thing. You think maybe they calculated that timing knowing exactly what would happen? LOL. Or not.

I went yesterday. Skiing was good, 35% capacity (or whatever it is) makes lines short and will make weekends more bearable if you can get a res. They were enforcing masks in line and distancing.

Also noticed something interesting in the res system: got home, went to add a new reservation to replace the one used and noticed the used one was still on the list of reservations. We were able to cancel that one (even though we'd used it) and replace it with another to keep the max at 10 as allowed.

'Pass stats' showed the day as used, but scanning the pass on the day reserved apparently didn't remove that res from the system.

We also tried to duplicate the prior reports that day tix were available online when pass holders reservations were not. We could not find this to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Ow_My_Balls View Post
    Yes anyone with a season pass is getting hosed on the reservations for day ticket purchases, but those of us with full parking passes are getting double-shafted. I don't remember getting a prorated refund from last year when they closed early, and already this year I can't reserve a lot of Saturdays so the utility is roughly halved.
    Had I known, maybe I would have just gone with the midweek pass but of course that option was created AFTER everyone had to commit to a full parking pass.

Quote Originally Posted by goCougs View Post
    Offering day tickets (or afternoon tickets) to the public when "unlimited pass holders" aren't able to make reservations is bullshit... Got my pitchfork ready
    They should have just had a certain number of reservations per day, and on the same day before the season starts, Ikon Passholders, local passholders, and day ticket purchasers could make reservations, with the caveat that day ticket purchasers had to purchase a non-refundable ticket to secure their reservation. Not only is this fair by giving everybody an equal chance at any particular day, but I guarantee that the vast, vast majority of reservations would have been taken by passholders.

I get reservations, but I don't get how passholders can't make reservations on days when people can still buy day tickets. If Alterra needs more revenue from Crystal beyond what season passes sell for, they should raise the prices of season passes! And if raising the prices doesn't adequately lower demand and help alleviate crowding, they should stop selling season passes once they're reached some limit. It's not rocket science.

Can someone post the reservation calendar? What is the next weekend date available?

ahh I am still on the fence about renewing my Ikon so I don't have access to the reservations page. Wanted to see what was available to book b4 purchase...

There is one positive to the reservation system and that it that it encourages the mountains to open more terrain. More terrain = more skiers allowed and more revenue for them.

Any intel on the parking situation at Crystal today? Trying to figure out how early I should leave tomorrow morning...

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    There is one positive to the reservation system and that it that it encourages the mountains to open more terrain. More terrain = more skiers allowed and more revenue for them.
    I can see the opposite happening. Reservation system may result in opening up less terrain to save money.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by powder_to_the_people View Post
    Any intel on the parking situation at Crystal today? Trying to figure out how early I should leave tomorrow morning...
    Lots of open spots in A lot, the rest were pretty full. I got there at noon and found a spot, but clearly had filled up all but F lot,

Edit: just tried to book another day and every Saturday in January Is completely booked. Fucking bullshit.

Dweebus excitedly announced last night that local pass holders no longer need reservations. Their reasoning is that those passes are not valid on weekends and weekday demand is lower.

I suggested to them that they should extend the same courtesy on weekdays to IKON holders who bought their 'unlimited' passes long before local passes were announced.

Some local [weekday only] passes include A-lot parking, though those passes weren't announced until after the deadline for parking pass purchase, so folks that bought the expensive and unlimited version of the parking pass are not being looked after on that level either.

Truth is probably that they - as before - massively oversold IKONs out of dweebus, and didn't sell too many local passes so it was the low hanging fruit to make themselves look good. Gotta think most locals had bought their IKONs log before locals were made available anyway.

Not terribly stolked on how they're doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Dweebus excitedly announced last night that local pass holders no longer need reservations. Their reasoning is that those passes are not valid on weekends and weekday demand is lower.
    Wow..... sell two passes with unlimited skiing on midweek days and then partway through the season decide to limit only one of them via reservations.

Quote Originally Posted by powder_to_the_people View Post
    FWIW we arrived at 8:15 On Saturday and got a pretty good spot in B-lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Wow..... sell two passes with unlimited skiing on midweek days and then partway through the season decide to limit only one of them via reservations.
    right? fuckers.