Page 16 of 79 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post

But otherwise thanks for telling the decades of combined experience there is mistaken about over this unprecedented over crowding.
    Not to mention empathy for the families who had bought their kids lessons or a promise to go skiing and were turned away.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I don’t think you appreciate how bad the drive has been the past two weekends or the number of people that got turned around before the lifts opened.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Checking for proper traction would go further.
    As someone who used to enjoy the relative short drives of the pnw and now has to slog to Tahoe...the checking for traction might not get you much of a net gain.

I’ve spent a lot of hours on 80 in chain control lineups on my hakkas...the backup created by the checking doesn’t discriminate, sadly.

Not to mention empathy for the families who had bought their kids lessons or a promise to go skiing and were turned away.
    I have extra ikon buddy days and I’ll be up this weekend. If anyone is in a pickle with a friend or family needing access to a ticket, pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    But otherwise thanks for telling the decades of combined experience there is mistaken about over this unprecedented over crowding.

Hmmmmm.
    You are welcome.....and that’s the one chair we didn’t ride on Saturday!

I know there are logistical issues, but they aren’t insurmountable, it doesn’t appear. Not decades, but five years experience entitles me to an opinion, maybe. Ask Benny about VT lift lines! Unprecedented overcrowding, with generally short lift lines (other than first thing in the am) and empty slopes.....Hmmmmmmmm.

Not to worry, you’ll have a shiny new concrete parking garage soon!

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post

I’ve spent a lot of hours on 80 in chain control lineups on my hakkas...the backup created by the checking doesn’t discriminate, sadly.
    People used to pull over on 410 before the boulevard intersection and chain up when they knew they were going to be checked allowing those prepared drivers to roll on.

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    I have extra ikon buddy days and I’ll be up this weekend. If anyone is in a pickle with a friend or family needing access to a ticket, pm me.
    The point was not the lack of tickets last two weekends, but a lack of access. I hope someone appreciates your offer despite the misconstruction.

Stoked he got it right. Does not negate the shitshow. And yes, once the early morning hoards have dissipated the mountain spreads out the crowds reasonably well, but timing is everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

People used to pull over and chain up when they knew they were going to be checked allowing those prepared drivers to roll on.

Let’s bring that back!

And yes I’m a professional misconstructor.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG4 View Post
    You are welcome.....and that’s the one chair we didn’t ride on Saturday!

I know there are logistical issues, but they aren’t insurmountable, it doesn’t appear. Not decades, but five years experience entitles me to an opinion, maybe. Ask Benny about VT lift lines! Unprecedented overcrowding, with generally short lift lines (other than first thing in the am) and empty slopes.....Hmmmmmmmm.

Not to worry, you’ll have a shiny new concrete parking garage soon!
    Five years of a handful of days?

Many of us here ski Crystal at least that many times or more in a month.

As you stated you did leave Enumscratch early and then stayed at the mountain.. so you really have no clue about road issues that happened during your last mini-break.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Because there was no parking? Isn’t that why the shuttle from Enumclaw is free when the lots are full?

Because there was no parking? Isn’t that why the shuttle from Enumclaw is free when the lots are full?
    The parking for buses was full.. and buses stuck in traffic for hours.

Thanks for supporting the alpine inn though. Good people who run a great business.

The lots were full, no shuttles available and you're being fairly self absorbed when it comes to families and kids being turned away from a public resource because Alterra sold 3 times the number of passes Crystal ever sold and did not plan for it.

The most fucked up thing is when people really don't give a shit about one another.

Despite that, I'm glad you and your family had a good time.

I’d also like to point out leaving enumclaw at 6:30 and getting to the mountain at 8:00 isn’t normal either.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    This blows me away.
    bit off-topic but it's not really that surprising (happened to know about it already,) Jeffy boy won't even fork over enough to cover the deficit in Medina. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/eastside/bill-gates-and-jeff-bezos-live-there-so-why-is-medina-asking-its-residents-to-pay-more-in-property-taxes/

Amazon is known for many things but perks and bonuses are not among them, at least for those who are still below OT 10 and haven't got clearance for the celebrity center...

somewhat back on topic, may the Alpine Inn live forever. Haven't stayed personally but they are clearly doin' it right. Great business.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Crystal pass holders are some of the wealthiest skiers on earth (Seattle/Bellevue/Redmond tech wealth) and Crystal is really the only ski area in the state that appeals to the masses.
    I believe you on the first part, it's the second bit I struggle with, mostly on a terrain basis... what percentage of crystal's acreage is skiable by the average skier I wonder? Honestly asking here. I understand the traffic patterns on the mountain for my own purposes but I haven't thought on this much. And the question behind this one is where all these people actually go on the mountain after they've parked. It's not exactly Breck, there's not much besides the stuff off FQ and GV that's low-ish angle or groomed. I keep coming back to this, said it earlier but whenever I've been up on a real shitshow weekend the mountain hasn't felt the same way. Do all these people just blow their legs out in the first two hours and chill in the lodge the rest of the day? I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    I’d also like to point out leaving enumclaw at 6:30 and getting to the mountain at 8:00 isn’t normal either.
    Very true.

20 car tail backs trying to get out the ranch and villages at 6.45 too.

Unheard off...

Put it this way: public funds are used to build a 70000 seat arena. That arena is a public resource used and loved by the constituents.

A new operator who is supposedly an industry giant and well versed in running these venues is granted a license to run the arena, a public resource, and sells 210000 season tickets.

When dads brings their kids to see the game, they can't find parking, let alone get anywhere near the venue.

It's not just bad management, it's a violation of the public trust.

That is a really good analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Afkpuz View Post
    That is a really good analogy.
    It is.

And as I understand it if I have a Seahawks season ticket I get the chance to renew it before they sell it to someone else?

I don't have a hawks season ticket so I might be wrong. My employer has had the same Mariners seats for 15 plus years though.

How about this for a solution... if you bought a pass in 18/19 (their first year) you get a window to renew.

If you don't then it goes on open market or lottery.

They won't sell more passes than they did that year but prices for them will rise... even quite substantially.

Limit or work to eventually cut out completely walk up ticket sales. Buying early gets discounted rate.

Encourage car pools with extended preferential parking at front of B and C lots.

But total skier numbers are limited to improve experience.

And black out dates for non Crystal Ikon passes. And I'm more than happy for extending black out dates on my Ikon pass elsewhere.

And plow the road... police 2WD chain requirement with WSP/PCS.

Pipedream I know.
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 01-15-2020 at 07:05 PM.

Issue is, we’re not talking about Seahawks season tickets here; we’re talking about NFC season tickets good for any team’s home game; and they cost less than Seahawks tickets have in 20 years.

Other issue with the analogy is parking hasn’t been part of the deal with stadium events for decades, nor has road access. That shit isn’t included or guaranteed.

Multi-Mountain passes have decreased the influence of local demand into the value equation (while also drastically increasing marketing power). We need to make Crystal expensive again. Increasing parking costs is a good way for individual mountains to adjust to meet demand.

I’d say throwing blackout days on the ikon base pass for Xtal next year is a no brainer. The impact on individual purchasing decisions made in March-October would have likely helped out quite a bit last weekend even if it wasn’t a blackout weekend

The most fucked up thing is when people really don't give a shit about one another.

Despite that, I'm glad you and your family had a good time.
    Thanks, and I do appreciate the local perspective. And I’m really not trying to be a d***, or be insensitive...just trying to bring a different perspective. Hope that doesn’t offend everyone. Honestly, sometimes when people are too close to the issues they don’t see all the perspectives, and it’s easy to start throwing around blame, justified or not.

As for my experience with Crystal.....I know I have a fraction of the days you locals do. That said, all of my experiences have been on the very kind of weekends (big storms, powder days) that seem to be most problematic. So, maybe I’ve just been lucky (every time), or maybe there’s some measure of validity to my alternative viewpoint?

Open minds, people!

No way am I insensitive to the poor children who didn’t get to ski when daddy promised them they could, or that I don’t care what the locals are experiencing. I’m supporting the place, doing my best to plan ahead and not contribute to the problems when I’m there....and I’m not even one of the hoards with decades of experience with the unprecedented problems, but even I know timing (and a bit of luck) is crucial.....heck, I’ve even dropped my share on NWAC raffle tickets over the years. I get how hard it is, and how disappointing things can be, and how we need to be supportive.

That said, we all know the things we want to do are hard. Knowing that, you have to try to take action to avoid the problems. I’m sure some did that and still got bitten, but I’m sure lots of others didn’t. You guys are well aware of the issues, as you’ve pointed out. So if those kids didn’t get to ski who’s fault is it, really? Is it the dad who didn’t plan ahead or come up with some other idea to save the day (dad could have gotten out earlier? maybe booked a room anticipating road issues with the storms? maybe gotten a nice breakfast down valley after getting turned around and then brought the kids up to ski from 2 to 8?), or is it the resort who can’t control the weather or the roads when the snow is coming down hard?

Someone implied I’m self absorbed, yet I work hard to not contribute to the problems when I’m there. Isn’t that less self absorbed than the dad who wants to leave the house when he wants, and to have his kids ski when he wants, demanding immunity from the issues he knows very well exist?

As for public use of lands issues...the resort made it clear all comers were welcome to use the hill at 2:00, both days.

The Ikon hate is strong in this group, as strong as at other resorts (I got earfuls at Alta), and it’s just your first year!

We need to make Crystal expensive again.
    It is kind of absurd that we pay less for our Ikon pass than a crystal pass cost 20 years ago.

it’s just your first year!
    2nd.

Make every employees take a shuttle. Leave ikon group like a-basin did with epic. Promote car pool by any means. Offer valet parking so that you can stack the parking lot with cars... break down the season pass into Monday Wednesday Saturday one and Tuesday Thursday Sunday one. Make Friday a day tickets only for $30.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks, and I do appreciate the local perspective. And I’m really not trying to be a d***, or be insensitive...
    So it comes naturally?
    So, maybe I’ve just been lucky (every time), or maybe there’s some measure of validity to my alternative viewpoint?
    No.

No way am I insensitive to the poor children who didn’t get to ski when daddy promised them they could, or that I don’t care what the locals are experiencing.
    Calling them whiney little bitches is just fine though. Right? Sure. Nice tone. With "poor children" and "daddy" your empathy just bursts through.
    I’m supporting the place, doing my best to plan ahead and not contribute to the problems when I’m there....and I’m not even one of the hoards with decades of experience with the unprecedented problems, but even I know timing (and a bit of luck) is crucial.....heck, I’ve even dropped my share on NWAC raffle tickets over the years. I get how hard it is, and how disappointing things can be, and how we need to be supportive.
    Maybe you should work for the Alterra Marketing department.

That said, we all know the things we want to do are hard. Knowing that, you have to try to take action to avoid the problems. I’m sure some did that and still got bitten, but I’m sure lots of others didn’t. You guys are well aware of the issues, as you’ve pointed out. So if those kids didn’t get to ski who’s fault is it, really? Is it the dad who didn’t plan ahead or come up with some other idea to save the day (dad could have gotten out earlier? maybe booked a room anticipating road issues with the storms? maybe gotten a nice breakfast down valley after getting turned around and then brought the kids up to ski from 2 to 8?), or is it the resort who can’t control the weather or the roads when the snow is coming down hard?
    Lots of people don't have New York money, but the resources are a public resources. While it's not your fault, it's Alterras, you continue to take it personally.

It's not your fault, but you're being an asshole about it.

Someone implied I’m self absorbed, yet I work hard to not contribute to the problems when I’m there. Isn’t that less self absorbed than the dad who wants to leave the house when he wants, and to have his kids ski when he wants, demanding immunity from the issues he knows very well exist?
    You're self absorbed because you completely dismiss what's it's been like and the fact that many, many kids and families got turned away because of over sales and you called them and us whiney bitches.

Own it, pal.

As for public use of lands issues...the resort made it clear all comers were welcome to come use the hill at 2:00, both days.

The Ikon hate is strong in this group, as strong as at other resorts (I got earfuls at Alta), and it’s just your first year!
    The lots were full with WSP at the 410 turnoff gating access at 2:30-3:00 when I left.

I get it about being dissed because I'm not "local". That's why I don't go to destination places much anymore.

But it's a far cry from just going to those places and actually calling people whiney bitches when the situation really is fucked up and an enormous change from what had been.

Quote Originally Posted by tmokes View Post
    Make every employees take a shuttle. Leave ikon group like a-basin did with epic. Promote car pool by any means. Offer valet parking so that you can stack the parking lot with cars... break down the season pass into Monday Wednesday Saturday one and Tuesday Thursday Sunday one. Make Friday a day tickets only for $30.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Name:  C5DB2E83-ACFE-4D20-822A-B1928516CEA5.jpeg
Views: 492
Size:  82.8 KB

Crystal Mountain Becomes Alterra

JTG4 = Frank DeBerry troll