Silk Road Mountain Race- 1000 miles in Kyrgyzstan

https://www.silkroadmountainrace.cc/

Ran in to Jay yesterday, he had some great stories of the place and the people. Huge country, he said it even blew away Alaska. 1700 km, 26000 meters of climbing. Got snowed on, ate some yak, plain wore his shoes out. The blog on that website has some interesting stuff. He finished in eight days eight hours, about nineteen hours ahead of second. Dude's an animal.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    https://www.silkroadmountainrace.cc/

Ran in to Jay yesterday, he had some great stories of the place and the people. Huge country, he said it even blew away Alaska. 1700 km, 26000 meters of climbing. Got snowed on, ate some yak, plain wore his shoes out. The blog on that website has some interesting stuff. He finished in eight days eight hours, about nineteen hours ahead of second. Dude's an animal.
    That's cuckoo crazy...yet strangely enticing! Thanks for the link.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

I'm following some bikepackers on Instagram who went through that country a couple months ago. Looked absolutely amazing. Everywhere they stopped people seemed to be friendly and offered food and a place to camp, too. It would suck to race through that country in a big rush, you gotta stop and smell the roses! Or meet the locals, I guess in this case.

Their pics and stories are a bit better than that blog IMO: @theseplacesinbetween

Yeah that looks pretty cool. For the race starting Aug 18 you had to finish by Sept 1 though, 2 weeks for 1700kms. Thats a lot of miles on some very tough terrain in both high and frigid temps. I'd love to do something like that but would want to slow down as well and enjoy it.

Our own Booboo Kitty gave it a go, but had to scratch from heat exhaustion about 30 hours after a snowstorm a few days into the race.

Jay was planning on about 6 days and went 9. Apparently in the first 36hrs of riding everyone just threw all their math out. So much burlier than anyone thought.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums