Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is the Raven Worth it?

Considering swapping out my K2 Sidestash that has been my backcountry ski for some years now for the Raven. Reviews sound great. My only issue is it would be a nearly full retail price, as you have to buy direct from 4frnt. I've always been pretty good at finding deals on skis on the fleabay. Ravens will never show up there. Some other skis I'm considering are the Blizzard Rustler 10 and Kastle BMX 105 non metal version. Sack up and just do it?

1. 4frnt sells their skis at a significantly lower price than most other company's skis retail price.

2. Why would you consider the Blizzard Rustler 10 when Blizzard has backcountry specific skis under the Zero G line?

3. Kastle skis are probably the most expensive skis out there second to DPS. Close to double the price of any 4frnt ski and again you are considering a ski designed for inbounds skiing when the company has a touring specific line.

Do you also tour with rocks in your pack?

I’d say the rustler10 is closer to the raven then ZeroG 108.

Also, depending on size possible to buy last years R10 or BMX105.

I'd say wait for some reviews of the new raven.
    The specs looks like it has way too much rocker and tip/tail splay to be usable as an all mountain touring ski.
    I have the BMT109 and happy with it but it's not cheap.

Are you looking for something versatile or some powder specific touring ski ?

Other +- 100mm versatile touring skis worth checking : Black Crows Navis Freebird, G3 Findr 102.
    Maybe next year Mantra V-Werks ? 1660g for the 178cm size. But obviously you won't find it used or on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pabst View Post
    Considering swapping out my K2 Sidestash that has been my backcountry ski for some years now for the Raven. Reviews sound great. My only issue is it would be a nearly full retail price, as you have to buy direct from 4frnt. I've always been pretty good at finding deals on skis on the fleabay. Ravens will never show up there. Some other skis I'm considering are the Blizzard Rustler 10 and Kastle BMX 105 non metal version. Sack up and just do it?
    I have seen several pairs of Ravens on ebay, so they do show up there.

A bit of a discount on a 184 here: https://www.geartrade.com/item/565789/raven-184cm-skis

I have the 184cm Raven from a few years ago, white and blue with carbon stringers. And I love it for touring. The blister gear review of it is pretty spot on. The only conditions I haven’t liked it in was a hut trip in the Sawtooths where we skied a bunch of terrible breakable crust (mostly before and after some decent recycled pow couloir skiing). There, the semi pin tail and minimal tail rocker would lock the tail of the Raven below the crust, making for some very scary skiing/turn attempts. Granted, everyone was struggling in those conditions.

But that’s like, just my opinion, man. I think the answer to your question is best provided by a “know thyself” moment of reflection. Do you like flat camber/subtle reverse camber skis? Do you like relatively straight skis? And maybe most importantly for the Raven, do you like skis with more forward mount points? Recommended mount points have been creeping forward the last 10yrs on most types of skis, but at around -5 cm from true center, the Raven is still quite progressive/forward for an all terrain touring ski.

One thought, last year 4frnt started running some fairly impressive sales starting with Black Friday and then shortly after Christmas for New Years. They might have just been trying to get inventory under wraps during the transition but it wouldn't surprise me if it happened again. Right now their profit margins are huge compared to a lot of other manufactures... they used to hand make skis is Utah and sell them for $400 - $500 to stores. Now they are produced in a larger factory and they sell them for $600 per set... Point being; don't be surprised if 4frnt runs a buy one get one free on their remaining inventory staring in late December, that's what they did last year. Raven's might be sold out by that point... but if you can hold your breath it might be worth it.

No one can say because no one has skied the new Raven. This is like saying "Should I sell my car? Ford put a cool concept car on their website and will be selling it this fall."

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Is the Raven Worth it?

Its not a concept though, its a production model

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    I have seen several pairs of Ravens on ebay, so they do show up there.

A bit of a discount on a 184 here: https://www.geartrade.com/item/565789/raven-184cm-skis
    I did see that pair on geartrade for sale. At 6' and 220lbs in gear, I would need the longest pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    ... they used to hand make skis is Utah and sell them for $400 - $500 to stores. Now they are produced in a larger factory and they sell them for $600 per set... Point being; don't be surprised if 4frnt runs a buy one get one free on their remaining inventory staring in late December, that's what they did last year. Raven's might be sold out by that point... but if you can hold your breath it might be worth it.
    Good point on the new production facility. Could be a different ski.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post

Do you also tour with rocks in your pack?
    Budweisers

In my own opinions and bias, the raven is not worth it. Not because it’s not well made or well designed or priced well. I just don’t dig the tiny sweet spot on a continuous rocker ski on the climb or descent.

If it were $200 per pair, I still wouldn’t buy them because the design just isn’t my jam.

At $100 per pair, I’d definitely try them out.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Moment meridian / meridian tour if you're gonna buy new this year. Raven was redesigned, won't know how it performs for a while. If I had to go with one ski in the bc, it'd be a 105-110ish full reverse ski

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    Moment meridian / meridian tour if you're gonna buy new this year. Raven was redesigned, won't know how it performs for a while. If I had to go with one ski in the bc, it'd be a 105-110ish full reverse ski
    https://www.backcountryfreeskier.com...ian-tour-skis/

Anyone got time on the meridian tour?

Also thinking about the Raven as an one-ski-touring quiver for the European Alps, though shipping is quite expensive and there is no reviews on the updated Raven. What else could you recommend or should I do it anyway?
    Last edited by Tobsen; 09-06-2018 at 03:58 AM.

I've been having a Raven debate as well. The only thing I can come up with is how much I hate reverse camber on icy ridges with exposure below. That's terrifying.

Aside from that, I genuinely think it comes down whether or not you want camber underfoot for your touring season/region/snowpack/wind patterns.

As a result, I want two touring rigs--
    -- If it's winter, why not just use a Hoji for my side-country short tours?
    -- During the melt/freeze, I want something narrower with camber underfoot.

BUT
    -- Why have two skis for my short-tour lifestyle?

Fuck it-- A Hoji & and an MSP99, both with CAST. ... Sorry Raven.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobsen View Post
    Also thinking about the Raven as an one-ski-touring quiver for the European Alps, though shipping is quite expensive and there is no reviews on the updated Raven. What else could you recommend or should I do it anyway?
    Self plug but CD104L. Comes in a 187 this year too. www.downskis.com
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by geo039 View Post
    Self plug but CD104L. Comes in a 187 this year too. www.downskis.com
    That looks like a very nice touring option!

Budweisers
    Fail on beverage choice/name connection.

So many good skis out there so no, prolly not worth it.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    haha, good catch!

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post

So many good skis out there so no, prolly not worth it.
    Yeah, I know. Stick with the blue ribbon. But I love them both.

But speaking of fail, I failed to win a fleabay bid on a brand new last year model of R10's in a 188cm. Should have just hit buy now as they were only $450 with free shipping. Instead I played the low-ball game and lost. That would have taken care of my Raven.

My intrigue with the Raven is attributed to two of the guides were using Raven's on a BC hut trip we did last season. They moved around on them quite nicely in both the up and down(of course). The relatively narrow tip vs. waist width I thought was interesting.

The relatively narrow tip vs. waist width I thought was interesting.
    Then look for other similarly shaped skis. So... guides were on them. That means they prolly didn't actually choose them, since they got them free, (or on a deal), and they were, ahem, guides, so they prolly can ski pretty good on dumpster skis.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

The relatively narrow tip vs. waist width I thought was interesting.
    So any ski with a long radius...?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos