Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Interbike 2018

Interbike 2018

Interbike is in Reno this year, so I may as well go. Anyone here have any extra passes?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

You mean interEbike?

Haha

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    You mean interEbike?
    Do I get bonus points for arriving on an ebike?

I mostly want to go see the crazy shit that'll never see production.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I'd mostly want to do the demo day at Northstar... that sounds pretty fun.

Think of all the stickers.........and e bikes

We'll be there!
    Keep an eye out!

buds i know whom i went with 14 yrs ago who never miss interbike year after year ... are giving it a miss
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

It's smaller this year, but not dramatically different than last year. They at least are acknowledging that ebikes are different, and they segregated them into a different room. Demo at northstar was cool because the trails are fun, but kinda shitty because the laps take a long time so it was hard to get on many bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    It's smaller this year, but not dramatically different than last year. They at least are acknowledging that ebikes are different, and they segregated them into a different room. Demo at northstar was cool because the trails are fun, but kinda shitty because the laps take a long time so it was hard to get on many bikes.
    Any new and interesting (non motorized) bikes? Or products.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Any new and interesting (non motorized) bikes? Or products.
    Per usual, not that many mountain bikes here. Rode a mondraker foxy rr - good geo, but suspension wasn't mind blowing. Rode a pivot shuttle. Goes uphill like a shitty dirt bike. Goes downhill like a shitty trail bike. Costs the same as a shitty car.

Other than that, nothing too crazy. Plenty of new backpacks, helmets, and that sort of thing, but nothing that's a game changer.

I wasn't able to score a ticket anywhere.

Too bad, I wanted to see the junkshow in person for well-engineered products like these:

Be pretty sweet to throw a leg over that 19lb Mondraker with some decent treads on it.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I wasn't able to score a ticket anywhere.

Too bad, I wanted to see the junkshow in person for well-engineered products like these:

There was a depressing lack of linkage forks this year. There were a few floating around, but usually the Germans bring something new and ridiculous. They were fairly restrained, for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Be pretty sweet to throw a leg over that 19lb Mondraker with some decent treads on it.
    For sure. I'd bet it's not slow.

Rode a pivot shuttle. Goes uphill like a shitty dirt bike. Goes downhill like a shitty trail bike. Costs the same as a shitty car.
    So bright I need shades.

Shitty dirt bikes are a lot of fun on the uphill. I'm surprised taost didnt have fun on the shuttle. biking is serious stuff these days. I guess it is 10 fkn k.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Shitty dirt bikes are a lot of fun on the uphill. I'm surprised taost didnt have fun on the shuttle. biking is serious stuff these days. I guess it is 10 fkn k.
    Don't get me wrong - it was fun for sure. It rides impressively well. If someone gave me one, I'd ride it. Not in any big rush to throw money at one though.

Don't get me wrong - it was fun for sure. It rides impressively well. If someone gave me one, I'd ride it. Not in any big rush to throw money at one though.
    Think I’d rather buy a trail bike and a DH bike for the same $$$
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Or one Yeti!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Think I’d rather buy a trail bike and a DH bike for the same $$$
    Yup, pretty much. On any trail that required active bike handling, it just felt fairly piggish, even compared to a heavy DH bike. It took some doing to slow it down or wiggle in through rock gardens with any kind of precision. I could sort of bunny hop it, and on bigger table tops it jumped ok, but I just about herniated myself trying to manual it. But if I was interested in a more passive riding experience (i.e. just kinda cruising along on relatively non-technical trails), I can see how people would be into them.

I hear some testers saying they don’t want them to get too light. I think that’s mainly for jumping and stability in the air. He was wondering whether or not the new 44lb Levo was too light. High 30’s is probably best I’d think but I’ve had a few dh bikes around 44 , pre flow trail years , that went everywhere fine except up

I hear some testers saying they don’t want them to get too light. I think that’s mainly for jumping and stability in the air. He was wondering whether or not the new 44lb Levo was too light. High 30’s is probably best I’d think but I’ve had a few dh bikes around 44 , pre flow trail years , that went everywhere fine except up
    Yeah, i used to have an old RM9 that I'm pretty sure was heavier than some of these e-bikes. It'd be interesting to do some descents back to back on an old DH bike and a Shuttle or Levo.

But I think the whole "a bit more weight is better" argument is bullshit. I took the shuttle down one of Northstar's jump trails. It was fine - I cleared the jumps no problem, and it felt pretty smooth. But whipping the bike around was fairly difficult, and it was generally a lot less fun than running the same trail on any modern enduro-ish bike that had comparable suspension and geometry.

Ya Pilgrim isn’t doing the same tricks as he’s doing on his dirt jumper but I’d imagine he’s doing roughly the same as his dh bike. He just did a couple worlds firsts at “Audi 9”. Tuck no hand front flip. Anyone that had a monster t had a 44 pound bike and there was a learning curve. A friend eventually was doing backflips on his monster t equipped norco dh and giant atx. I think my 6” boxxer on my og super8 was 40lbs (6”front, 7 1/4” rear). Loved that bike but I’d take a kenevo hands down

Yeah, that sounds like accommodating bullshit to me. It's GOOD that it's heavy. Riiiiiiiight.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Yeah, that sounds like accommodating bullshit to me. It's GOOD that it's heavy. Riiiiiiiight.
    Stability in the air as long been noted as a benefit with them. Same as dirtbikes. Moving them around will take a bit more but it’s mostly leverage/being in the right position. And getting used to it. Moto guys whip almost 90 degrees and bring in back. Engine helps but it’s mostly leverage/positioning getting it 90