Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    From a trail builder's perspective brake bumps are about force vectors. You'll never see bumps for if there is a grade reversal to brake on before a corner. The force vector is closer to the natural force, or perpendicular force vector to the tread. When braking hard on a flat or down hill tread, the force vector is at an acute angle to the tread. The force of braking pushes the bumps up, just like wind pushes up waves.

I think they would form faster with poor technique being used, but it's not really about too much front or back brake, it's more about not providing a good natural force vector with an up sloped trail before the turn.
    Not to mention, a turn, especially one with a berm, is so much more fun when there's a slight upslope taking you into it.

It's definitely true that I see way less pre-turn stutter bumps on newer trails, and then of course even less on newer well-designed trails.
    Anyway, 10 minutes is a long time to blab about how stoked you are about bikes.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

A short uphill allows you to brake much harder without skidding as well, instead of a long skiddering braking zone, braking under compression increase static friction coefficient so you roll more and brake hard and for a short distance. Adds to the sense of flow IMO. Considering force vector and always striving for natural force ultimately give you a sense of being pressed onto the trail. The trail will require less work to keep running nice. In berms, you will naturally ride the line. Under steep berms are the worst, like you're gonna fly out of the high side mid corner. When it's done right you drift up, or down... right into the pocket, over time the top of the berm almost get's overhung. Riding and even roosting it only makes the pocket more sweet. Love those.

Thanks for the trail building explanation! I did not realize/know that!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear