Wildernest truck campers?

I know this should probably be in tech talk but I figured I would get more eyes on it here and I’m going to look at this thing tonight and trying to find out any info I can.

. Anything I should look for? Anybody own one? Would you do it again? Any thoughts appreciated!

Name:  IMG_2236.JPG
Views: 9256
Size:  100.7 KB

I looked for one of those for years before buying my FWC. Make sure to check out the torsion bars and rot around them. Also the overall condition of the canvas and smell. They were never made for a 3rd gen tacoma, so if thats the truck its going on then double check fitament too.

all in, when I found one that was in good shape the price wasnt that far off from a good FWC with has power and heat.

I would be putting it on a 2nd generation which is what it is coming off of. The guy sent me these pics What is an FWC? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2237.JPG 
Views:	346 
Size:	220.6 KB 
ID:	245870Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2238.JPG 
Views:	249 
Size:	345.5 KB 
ID:	245871Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2239.JPG 
Views:	259 
Size:	253.7 KB 
ID:	245872

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

How the hell do you get into that thing?

And the fit looks way off compared to my truck cap...

How the hell do you get into that thing?
    From the inside of the bed which makes it way more practical than a room top tent in my opinion. I don't think they were made customer for every truck like a topper.

My neighbor has a pretty sweet topper in this style on a newer Tundra. Painted to match color and everything.

I’m would be buying it more for the topper aspect than for the camper aspect, but I think it would be cool to have. I have two little kids, so I am thinking we could sleep two up top and two in the bed.

I am a little skeptical about the fit as well. Waiting on the guy to text me back about seeing it, he has the same truck I do though and said he hasn’t had issues with the fit.

It’s a black truck so I think the white would look ok.

Wildernests are awesome! I picked one up earlier this summer and it has been great so far. A buddy has had one for years and loves it. Fit is perfect on my 1st gen Taco. Doesn’t look as nice on his 2nd gen, but it definitely works. I think it’s a great compromise that gives more sleeping space than just a topper, but isn’t nearly as heavy and cumbersome to drive around with all the time as something like a Four Wheel Camper (FWC).

I’d look out for rust on any of the hardware. The hinges on mine had been replaced with stainless, but it would be harder to find replacements for some of the other pieces. Mildew on the tent should be pretty obvious and it seems like some people have good luck cleaning them. I’m not sure I’d want to deal with it, but if everything else looks good...

I am looking at truck campers now. That is some stupid shit right there. Why not just put a tent on the ground.
    off your knees Louie

Gofast campers. Owned by a mag.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by mrburns View Post
    I would be putting it on a 2nd generation which is what it is coming off of. The guy sent me these pics What is an FWC? Click image for larger version. 

ID:	245870
    The guy has it on the wrong size bed, that’s why the glass is so hammered from the bed rail clamps.

Unless your bed is the correct dimensions and it’s really cheap, I’d keep looking for a standard canopy. If I had a taco I’d get one of them alu ones with the double rear doors, chop the roof and make it into a pop top like a westy.

FWC = Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    Gofast campers. Owned by a mag.
    Check out this thread...

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ew-mag-product
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Tech talk motherfuckers.

Quote Originally Posted by mrburns View Post

ID:	245870Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2238.JPG 
Views:	249 
Size:	345.5 KB 
ID:	245871Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2239.JPG 
Views:	259 
Size:	253.7 KB 
ID:	245872

Fwc is a four wheel camper....will sleep 4 easy in our setup, have heat too. It's a camping setup tho not a topper setup

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Also a FWC will be 3x the price and 5-10x the weight. Not really a great comparison.

Well, the guy flaked on me from Craigslist( shocker) , so I never got to check it out. Thanks for all the replies, might just have to bite the bullet and pull the trigger on the new topper.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I am looking at truck campers now. That is some stupid shit right there. Why not just put a tent on the ground.
    This. Get a real camper, or just get a tent. IMO.

Yeah,
    I'm kind of with BFD and panchosdad, what's the point? Just get a tent. Simpler, lighter, cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    This. Get a real camper, or just get a tent. IMO.
    Yeah I’m struggling with this. I really want to get a van and build it out. But there’s the whole money and lack of skills thing holding me up.

I’ve been rolling around the idea of the truck top tent and weighing the advantages/disadvantages vs tent.

nothing says I am afraid of nature better than sleeping in a tent on the roof of your truck
    off your knees Louie

nothing says I am afraid of nature better than sleeping in a tent on the roof of your truck
    Haha. Yeah, the rooftop tent doesn't solve my problem there because I'll still have to get up with my wife at night if she has to pee. Actually, roof top tent makes it worse because then I have to involve a ladder.

That's fucking stupid. Of all the different levels of camping equipment, sleeping on top of your truck makes you a pussy? Then what about the guy with a $400K RV? Or the FWC? Or the Sprinter? The Overlander? Or sleeping under a topper?

Want to prove you aren't afraid of nature? How should you go? Is that the point of camping?

I think you missed Sarcasm 101.

I laffed
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime