Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    With the DHF WT and DHR2 2.3 combo, I felt like the front was hanging on while the rear was ready to slide in. Not bad necessarily, but it was happening at speeds and lean angles where I expected both wheels to break free so I could really set the turn. When fully set, it felt like the DHF WT was on point, but the dhr2 2.3 was barely hanging onto the outside of the cornering nobs.
    I think that's exactly what I like about them. I can keep the front end hooked up, but either lock in or slide the rear wheel depending on a slight variation in lean angle. Corner is a bit tighter than expected? Dip the bike over a little farther and it'll oversteer as the rear end breaks loose and comes around. Long sweeper where I want to keep both tires engaged? Just keep the bike slightly more upright - the DHRII is pretty predictable as to where its traction ends, so it's not too hard to keep it right on that edge.

The 2.5 / 2.4 combo is great too. That's what I normally run on the DH bike. Easier to lock into a turn and rail, but a little harder to steer the bike from the rear wheel. But for most applications, I just found it to roll noticeably slower and didn't really like it on the trail bike for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I think that's exactly what I like about them. I can keep the front end hooked up, but either lock in or slide the rear wheel depending on a slight variation in lean angle. Corner is a bit tighter than expected? Dip the bike over a little farther and it'll oversteer as the rear end breaks loose and comes around. Long sweeper where I want to keep both tires engaged? Just keep the bike slightly more upright - the DHRII is pretty predictable as to where its traction ends, so it's not too hard to keep it right on that edge.

The 2.5 / 2.4 combo is great too. That's what I normally run on the DH bike. Easier to lock into a turn and rail, but a little harder to steer the bike from the rear wheel. But for most applications, I just found it to roll noticeably slower and didn't really like it on the trail bike for that reason.
    Yup, it sounds like we're feeling very similar things. Just different personal preferences. I like the consistency when tires break traction front to back and you like the versatility of the tires breaking traction differently. You said it way more simple and eloquent than I said it.
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 09-01-2018 at 06:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I've run the 2.5WT DHF and 2.4WT DHR2 on 29mm internal Flow MK3. Works good, but total overkill for my normal technical trail riding, so I usually run 2.3's.

I'd say that the WT's have an excessively square profile, thus they would be a bit more rounded on a 28mm rim, optimally so for better rolling resistance and higher angle cornering. Drawbacks would be slightly less tire volume, the need to run higher pressures and maintain them so you don't get tire roll.

Just curious what brand is gouging you for an extra $250 to go from their 28mm to 30mm. Or are you comparing different rims?

Agreed with everyone else on 30mm generally being the sweet spot. I've got 31.8 LB carbons which are probably a smidge wider than what I really need, especially if I want to run a 2.3 in the rear because they get too squared off. I've also got some ARC 27s that I bought used and had a similar dilemma to you - everyone selling decent 30mm wheelsets wanted at least $100-150 more for comparable rims/hubs compared to those selling the "old" 27mm wheels. I pulled out a ruler, stared at what 3mm actually was, and said fuck that.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Just curious what brand is gouging you for an extra $250 to go from their 28mm to 30mm. Or are you comparing different rims?
    They are not the same brand. However they are comparable quality, comparable builds/wheel type, same hubs, comparable warranty, etc. I happen to be able to get a good deal on the 28mm rims through a prodeal, but that brand does not have a 30-35mm rim.

I ordered the 28mm rim.

I just went from i35 with 2.5 DHF/2.4 DHR2 to same tires on i27 and I'm digging the rounder tire profile, lighter weight of the wheelset and so far haven't died. This is on a v2 Bronson, I'm not a bike park/DH guy but appreciate the 150mm bike with a more XC build right now.

I'll be going back to the i35's with 3" tires on a Karate Monkey for bikepacking and general fucking around.

Let's talk internal rim width

Most of your weight is on the rear so a narrower rim rounds the tire a bit more so the sidewall is curved. That allows the tire to track through rough that want to deflect you. The tire will follow the trail. A wider front rim straightens the sidewall so you can edge better. Deflection is less of an issue in the front when the weight is not supportive weight. It’s applied weight or unweighting to edge. Too late but lite bicycles just put up their fall 25% off sale starting yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Too late but lite bicycles just put up their fall 25% off sale starting yesterday
    Is there a code for this? Not seeing the sale on the website.

edit: never mind, found it. It's select clearance rims.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Is there a code for this? Not seeing the sale on the website.

edit: never mind, found it. It's select clearance rims.
    I didn’t actually look at the sale. I pick up some rims last year and they had a pretty good selection of rims and prebuilt wheels with hope and i9 hubs. I think they have onyx hubs this year as well if they have pre built on there

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    They are not the same brand. However they are comparable quality, comparable builds/wheel type, same hubs, comparable warranty, etc. I happen to be able to get a good deal on the 28mm rims through a prodeal, but that brand does not have a 30-35mm rim.

I ordered the 28mm rim.
    So what wheels did you get?
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    So what wheels did you get?
    Reynolds Black Label Enduro 27.5"
    I just saw in the wheelset thread that you have the same thing in 29, and they are 34mm internal now... which I did not know. So we'll see what shows up. AFAIK I'll be getting the narrower 2018 version.
    These will be going on a 2019 carbon Transition Patrol custom build.

I just saw in the wheelset thread that you have the same thing in 29, and they are 34mm internal now... which I did not know. So we'll see what shows up. AFAIK I'll be getting the narrower 2018 version.
    Sick! Real happy with mine so far. Nice ride. There are lighter wheels but hopefully they'll be plenty strong. Have yet to knock one on a rock. AFAIK mine are 2019, not on the website yet, not sure why. They might have some deal with Pivot to not drop them yet or something. Looks like they just knocked $300 off this year's line. Either way, nice wheels, and nice bike!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Getting off topic a bit, but what made you chose the Patrol over the Sentinel? I like the looks of Transition & GG's geometry, was thinking I want to switch to 29er but I could reuse a lot of nice parts if I stay 27.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Getting off topic a bit, but what made you chose the Patrol over the Sentinel? I like the looks of Transition & GG's geometry, was thinking I want to switch to 29er but I could reuse a lot of nice parts if I stay 27.5.
    Simple, I prefer a more playful bike. I rode both. If your goal is to go as fast as possible, get the Sentinel. It's an absolute monster truck and rolls over everything and carries a ton of speed everywhere. If you want to treat the trail like a skatepark, and pop off things, throw in little whips and such, get the Patrol.
    I also rode the GG Megatrail and liked it almost as much as the Patrol. Both are really damn fun bikes.

Simple, I prefer a more playful bike. I rode both. If your goal is to go as fast as possible, get the Sentinel. It's an absolute monster truck and rolls over everything and carries a ton of speed everywhere. If you want to treat the trail like a skatepark, and pop off things, throw in little whips and such, get the Patrol.
    I also rode the GG Megatrail and liked it almost as much as the Patrol. Both are really damn fun bikes.
    Great answer, thank you. Being a skill-less hack, sounds like Sentinel/Smash is the ticket for me!

I loved the sentinel.. but i found myself riding faster than my skill set and went with a Hightower LT.....
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I loved the sentinel.. but i found myself riding faster than my skill set and went with a Hightower LT.....
    Truth. First trail I rode on the Sentinel was a flow trail and I ended up past the transitions out in the flats on half the jumps.

I think the Sentinel rides more playful than it looks on paper.. but there are definitely more nimble bikes. Kona Process 27.5 is more nimble, and Patrol even more so. I think the Sentinel is more maneuverable than the 29 process though. Sentinel jumps well, and the vitalmtb review has a good video and calls it “fun” for jumping too.

I normally like the most maneuverable bike, but went Sentinel because of how balanced between superfast:maneuverable it is. I wanted to own a 29er for the first time too, and really get a feel for them to see if they work for me as all rounders. The Sentinel was the first 29er that I rode and it didnt feel like the turn initiation was much worse than a 27.5

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Smoking deal on a 36ext/30int 27.5 wheelset https://www.dirtcomponents.com/produ...on-dirt-wheels These rims really do take a beating For any of the not on sale wheelsets use the code Trailhead for 10% off.

i thought this was about fisting