Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Where do you wear your transceiver?

Chest harness, pants pocket, leg pocket? I’ve always worn mine in a chest harness, but some people prefer a pocket carry. BCA article discussing some of the pros and cons of transceiver positioning:
    https://backcountryaccess.com/where-...e-transceiver/

Chest harness for me as well, but considering changing to pocket carry with a beacon upgrade this year and adjusting to new systems all at once.

Transceiver on right leg, phone on left chest, with a 24” separation. The article does not address the issue of maintaining security and minimizing fuss with the upper body clothing changes inherent in backcountry skiing, or comfort, which are the main reasons why I wear it on my leg.

I've worn mine in my upper chest bib pocket for years. I'm probably gonna die because of it. But at least the pocket is internally sewn. Unzip jacket, unzip pocket, beacon in hand - takes all of 3 seconds, even when wearing a pack.

Left pants pocket. No fighting with layers to get it out. Phone in chest pocket.

Where do you wear your transceiver?

Right pants pocket with phone in left chest pocket. As others have said 24” from phone and pocket is internally sewn.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

One thing that I have seen that makes wearing in your pants pocket less appealing is when searching and probing the target is smaller. Meaning that when it is on your chest, and you do a fine search, then start probing in concentric circles, you are slightly more likely to get a hit on the chest, than on the hip. If the victim is buried head up, it can take more time and effort to reach the hip pocket to turn off the transceiver as well (for multiple burials).

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    One thing that I have seen that makes wearing in your pants pocket less appealing is when searching and probing the target is smaller. Meaning that when it is on your chest, and you do a fine search, then start probing in concentric circles, you are slightly more likely to get a hit on the chest, than on the hip. If the victim is buried head up, it can take more time and effort to reach the hip pocket to turn off the transceiver as well (for multiple burials).
    Makes sense but I feel like if you’re patient and trust your probing system, you will get a hit eventually. I’ve definitely had practice sessions where my fine search was off and I didn’t strike until my circles were a few feet across.

One of the points in the article (and in a couple of the trainings I’ve taken) was that a chest harness places the beacon closer to your airway, which might help rescuers start resuscitation earlier. Assuming the fine search is right on...or lucky.

I run hot, so usually am climbing with my jacket off. Getting swept is less likely on the climb but not unlikely so I go with beacon in the pants pocket. I get the airway argument, but hip pocket is still close to your core, and about 6” further from my head. Pants stay on jackets and layers come on and off.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Chest harness with phone in right pants pocket, 24” away.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

The theory that you’re easier to find and quicker to resuscitate if you’re wearing a chest harness isn’t based on any evidence that I’ve seen, and is intuitively of potentially only minor benefit in very specific situations (and may be detrimental in others). For me, the potential for a minor benefit in an extremely unlikely scenario (getting buried) doesn’t outweigh the significant everyday benefits of wearing it in my pants.

I used to use the harness until I get a bad rib bruise last year from taking a leg to the beacon. Shit hurt for weeks so I've switched to pants pocket and am happy with the new location.

Pants pocket since I'm usually skinning in a base layer and I hate having my beacon on my outside layer.

Chest harness, I don't like climbing with much hardware in my pants pockets due to thunder thigh syndrome.

Skiing hard with stuff in your pockets suckkks

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Skiing hard with stuff in your pockets suckkks

Is that a transceiver in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    One of the points in the article (and in a couple of the trainings I’ve taken) was that a chest harness places the beacon closer to your airway, which might help rescuers start resuscitation earlier. Assuming the fine search is right on...or lucky.
    Also another advantage that I was trying to convey.

I still pocket carry though but I'm dumb like that.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Also another advantage that I was trying to convey.
    Yeah, I thought your points were worth considering.

I still pocket carry though but I'm dumb like that.
    I’m interested in people’s reasons for that, the harness carry has never bothered me.

Hip pocket for me. I often have a vhf radio chest harness on.

Chest harness. More comfortable to me even though sometimes it is a pain w layers.

Didn't read the article, but keeping it attached to you by harness tether during a search seems kind of a must to me.

Right pants pocket - secure with a zipper closure, not velcro. Has an attachment to loop it on.

More comfortable and further from my phone in my chest pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Chest harness with phone in right pants pocket, 24” away.

Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I’m interested in people’s reasons for that, the harness carry has never bothered me.
    Personally, I was doing some training, and teaching at one point so it was just more convenient. Plus, not having to have your jacket open is nice when it's sub zero temps outside. So I guess the habit stuck.

Also, I don't always wear a seatbelt, and rarely wear a helmet. Sometimes my battery power runs below 40%, I don't take batteries out in the summer, and this one time one of the batteries leaked into the chamber and corroded the contacts. Cleaned it off and it still worked so rocked it for another season before retiring it to a practice beacon. I like to live on the edge

Name:  3a5.jpg
Views: 1514
Size:  22.7 KB