Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    You think your phone really messes with it if it's in airplane mode? Sorry, different thread?
    Interested in this, too. I use my phone for photos in airplane mode when I tour. Rarely have cell coverage where I tour.

Any source of transient frequency is a source of potential interference:

"Your cell, particularly if it’s a smartphone, gives off a significant amount of competing noise when it’s on and the screen is illuminated. If you think that setting your phone to airplane mode is enough to cut noise, think again. Airplane mode does not significantly alter the amount of electronic noise the phone gives off. Hold a phone set to airplane mode too close to a searching beacon, and your numbers will be affected as much as if the phone were fully “on.”

https://backcountryaccess.com/electr...your-beacon-2/

So, phone in airplane mode is still a potential source of interference and not a good idea.

Thanks. So I shouldn’t keep the phone near Prince Albert!

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    How many pants people also use a stretchy arcade belt?
    Pretty easy for your beacon to end up at your ankles.
    Yep, the Arcade makes pantsing very possible with or without beacon in a pocket.

I got a new pair of ski pants last season that allowed me to move the beacon from the chest harness to a dedicated beacon pocket on my right leg and don't think I'll ever go back. I feel safer knowing it's further from my phone and radio (which are usually in the chest pocket of my jacket and in my backpack), and it's infinitely more comfortable to have it out of the way of my backpack and radio and jacket zippers. The only thing I don't like about it is that I wear softshell pants on most days, and carry a pair of hardshells that I throw on top when I'm really getting wet. My hardshells don't have a good place to put the beacon, so the beacon ends up burried under the hardshells. I've tested how long it takes me to get the beacon out from under the hardshells and it's not a huge delay, but would be happier if it weren't under two zippers.

Right pants pocket. Far and away the most comfortable for me. Phone in left chest pocket >24" from beacon.

For all of the reasons above: pants stay on, jackets come off or get unzipped. I'm much faster with this system. One zipper; beacon is at normal hand height for removal and goes right to waist height for search. This last point isn't a big deal, but it is, in practice, very natural.

I back it up to my belt (static climbing webbing) but I like the idea of another backup. Will investigate that this season.

And +1 to batteries are cheap. I now travel with a spare set and remove the batteries at the end of every day to check for corrosion/leakage.

I attach my beacon to my penis, because Im really proficient at whipping it out and my hands naturally want to rest there. Besides, if Im in a slide where I lose my penis, I question whether I really want to survive anyway.

Different strokes and all that.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

lulz

Inside or outside the cup?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Inside or outside the cup?
    New invention: Integrated transceiver/cup! You could make MILLIONS!!!

You are far more likely to suffer abdominal trauma from a beacon next to your ribs than have your pants pulled off (not down, but OFF) in an avalanche. The former also applies to a regular fall when skiing, which is also way more likely than getting caught in a slide.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    New invention: Integrated transceiver/cup! You could make MILLIONS!!!
    I don't know if I want to encourage probing around my groin area.

That's the reason for the cup.

Phone in airplane: you should be PRACTICING with your equipment the way you tour. Hit the beacon park with your other electronic goodies. Try it without. See a problem? Is there
    a difference? That is how you tell if your particular phone interferes with your particular beacon and in what mode and at what proximity. Far more definitive than internet prognostications.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Of course. It was warm. Seems to me that beacons are outside all layers the majority of the time while ascending. It's one of many reasons I've converted to beacon in the pocket.
    Same here

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    You are far more likely to suffer abdominal trauma from a beacon next to your ribs than have your pants pulled off (not down, but OFF) in an avalanche. The former also applies to a regular fall when skiing, which is also way more likely than getting caught in a slide.
    Agreed
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Any source of transient frequency is a source of potential interference:

"Your cell, particularly if it’s a smartphone, gives off a significant amount of competing noise when it’s on and the screen is illuminated. If you think that setting your phone to airplane mode is enough to cut noise, think again. Airplane mode does not significantly alter the amount of electronic noise the phone gives off. Hold a phone set to airplane mode too close to a searching beacon, and your numbers will be affected as much as if the phone were fully “on.”

https://backcountryaccess.com/electr...your-beacon-2/

So, phone in airplane mode is still a potential source of interference and not a good idea.
    I get that anything with electric current in it could be a source of EMI, but a lit LED screen really produces very little. And if my phone is in my pocket, the screen's gonna be off. There's actually ambient light sensors on your phone to help keep the screen off and not pocket dial people. Or at least there should be. I know there's a setting for it on Samsungs. I haven't pocket dialed anyone in years, but my name starts with A, so I get them a lot.
    Remember, your phone is running off some pretty low DC power. I really don't see how if your phone isn't searching for service that it could be giving off much noise. Maybe someone with a better physics or engineering background can fill me in.
    8" seems easy enough though. I don't think I've ever had my phone anywhere near as close as that.

Edit to add: I'm also well aware that a phone in Airplane Mode can still use it's WiFi antennae. Especially on airplanes nowadays.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

^^ Hence separating them a couple of feet away from each other and should be good to go. Transceiver in a harness, phone in pants cargo pocket or vice versa and should be okay. Although, as someone pointed out above, practice in the same mode as you ski and experiment a bit to see if there's impact or what proximity produces impact, then you'll know for sure.

I tried a strap on harness for a little while, but it was too bulky, thus the Prince Albert! Nipple ring attachment was too painful

I prefer to cook my bacon in the oven. It’s more crisp and less mess
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Just picked up a new Barryvox beacon to replace my 11 year old Tracker 2. I like that it's a bit smaller than the Tracker, but I'm not confident in the buttons to toggle between off/send/search: it seems like it would be really easy to inadvertently switch modes while wearing it in the harness or a pocket. I also find how delicate/fragile it feels in hand to not be confidence inspiring. The Tracker 2 felt like you could bludgeon someone to death with it, wipe it off, then use it to search for buried victims, the Barryvox feels like it would break if it got dropped off a coffee table.

The proof is in the functionality of it I suppose, but given how much they tout the fact that it's made in Switzerland, I am unimpressed with the fit, finish and perceived durability of the unit.

My cell phone (iPhone 6) also messed with the signal in search mode, even when the phone and beacon are 6 feet apart. At least a little cellphone icon pops up on the beacon screen to let you know there's interference, but with the preponderance of electronics people carry in the backcountry these days, I have concerns about the efficacy of a beacon search in a group setting.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Just picked up a new Barryvox beacon to replace my 11 year old Tracker 2. I like that it's a bit smaller than the Tracker, but I'm not confident in the buttons to toggle between off/send/search: it seems like it would be really easy to inadvertently switch modes while wearing it in the harness or a pocket. I also find how delicate/fragile it feels in hand to not be confidence inspiring. The Tracker 2 felt like you could bludgeon someone to death with it, wipe it off, then use it to search for buried victims, the Barryvox feels like it would break if it got dropped off a coffee table.

The proof is in the functionality of it I suppose, but given how much they tout the fact that it's made in Switzerland, I am unimpressed with the fit, finish and perceived durability of the unit.

My cell phone (iPhone 6) also messed with the signal in search mode, even when the phone and beacon are 6 feet apart. At least a little cellphone icon pops up on the beacon screen to let you know there's interference, but with the preponderance of electronics people carry in the backcountry these days, I have concerns about the efficacy of a beacon search in a group setting.
    I’d be more worried about the people too stupid to turn their phones off because you might have to save a life
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Cannot understand why you find the the Barryvox fragile or possible to accidentally switch modes. Not my impression nor my experience.

Barryvox actually examines the noise floor and limits your search strip width. It is a unique and good feature because people are not aware of the problem their other electronics are causing.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Cannot understand why you find the the Barryvox fragile or possible to accidentally switch modes. Not my impression nor my experience.

Barryvox actually examines the noise floor and limits your search strip width. It is a unique and good feature because people are not aware of the problem their other electronics are causing.
    100% agree with Summit on all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    I’d be more worried about the people too stupid to turn their phones off because you might have to save a life
    This is what beacon checks are really for these days. Easy to forget with a sleep deprived alpine start. My beacon works fine with phone in airplane mode.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    100% agree with Summit on all of this.
    Same here. Barryvox and Pieps are just better. Have been for a long time. BCA seems to have convinced some folks that their beacons are easier to use. They aren't. They're just worse. And Ortovox has had issues with unstable software on multiple models. Fuck that. Barryvox or Pieps. Maybe Arva is ok. Never even seen one.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    My beacon works fine with phone in airplane mode.
    So does mine, but if you admit that you keep your phone in airplane mode you aren't able to properly moralize on the internet

Fun finding at recent training, my neato GPS watch causes slight interference with my beacon in search mode if I hold it on the same side I wear the watch on. But not if I hold it in my right hand (which is the usual case). The interference slight: audibly detectable in analog mode, enough that if you tried to use the ultra-long-range pro mode on the S, it would probably be limiting. I'll try more later. Forerunner 945.