Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Just make it non-negotiable. Be that guy. If you get flack, find new people to tour with. My advise...the first person goes a 100'ish up the skin track and turns his beacon to "search". The rest of the group proceeds by one at a time. Last guy checks first guy. Done.
    About the time everyone wants to stop n strip a layer the first guy goes 100" up the trail and searches the rest of the group until everyone has gone past, insted of leaving it at that everyone in turn will stop 100" up the trail to search everyone else in the group as they leap frog past so everyone gets to search on every beacon in the group

and then I know some guys who just ask who has the spare lighter ... man

I keep my beacon on its lanyard clipped in a pants pocket all the time and it gets turned on when I put the pants on
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    About the time everyone wants to stop n strip a layer the first guy goes 100" up the trail and searches the rest of the group until everyone has gone past, insted of leaving it at that everyone in turn will stop 100" up the trail to search everyone else in the group as they leap frog past so everyone gets to search on every beacon in the group

and then I know some guys who just ask who has the spare lighter ... man

I keep my beacon on its lanyard clipped in a pants pocket all the time and it gets turned on when I put the pants on
    Man, 100" isn't very far, maybe they should shoot for 100'.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Are there any pants torn off survivors?
    Yes, I have seen it in one case...
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Man, 100" isn't very far, maybe they should shoot for 100'.
    In fact its the same key ... man

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    Yes, I have seen it in one case...
    Steep Gullies?

Steep Gullies?
    I don't remember any steep gully survivors who were pantsed...
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Steep Gullies?
    Yup, the pants were down around his ankles. He also was found in his socks, as his snowboard had been ripped off him. Found the snowboard later with one boot in it.

Yup, the pants were down around his ankles. He also was found in his socks, as his snowboard had been ripped off him. Found the snowboard later with one boot in it.
    Sounds like a case of the grubstake crapper.. a few PNW mags will get the joke.

Sounds like a brutal ride he took.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Good thing he wasn't wearing his beacon in his boots then. I guess in his socks would have been ok - or at least as good as his pants, which ended up in the same place.

Maybe 6 years ago there were a couple of swede MD's (not stupid one assumes) up here who skied the 7000, they stop for lunch at the top where buddy takes off his harness and leaves the beacon up there on a rock. The 7000 face IS aviy terrain but nobody dies, they go back for it the next day, so I always think about that faux pas which is why I put the beacon on the lanyard in my pants pocket ... I am less likely to leave it somewhere post movement

“On at the car, off at the bar.”

I’ve seen the results of people vs avalanche, I’m sticking with my chest harness
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    “On at the car, off at the bar.”
    Like foggy said, that's what was cool about the old F1; Jong Proof

I'm not really current but, why doesn't somebody go back to that concept?

No bagatall

I used to be anal battery conscious and turn it off during the day if I was idle or lapping a lift. Come to find out I was not hot traveling through a high risk zone more than once

I only know how to do the conga check - is there another way
    ​I am not in your hurry

Mine goes in a beacon-specific thigh pocket on my soft-shells. I'm aware of why people use chest harnesses but for me the comfort difference is huge. As mentioned up-thread, good habits and checks are still the most important.
    It sucks to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    I only know how to do the conga check - is there another way
    If everyone’s beacon has a group check function, the group can form a line spaced 3 meters apart and the leader can ski down the line 1 meter away and check that they are sending, the someone can check the leader at the end of the line. That’s not a bad way to do it if everyone’s on board. There’s a description in this manual, and probably some where else.
    https://static.mammut.com/file/Barry...art_3.0_EN.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    I’ve seen the results of people vs avalanche, I’m sticking with my chest harness
    Me too. Chest or pocket (mostly chest, on sledders), dead is dead.

As for position, finding and probing is still vastly more time efficient compared to the shovelling. In deep recoveries, beacon placement might give a slight edge, but I would defer to data to see if that matters much on more shallow burials.

It is interesting about how you ware your transceiver can affect its transmitted signal.

Most folks ware their transceiver in the harness that it comes with, on the side of their torso; on the left side in a lot of cases. Since a lot of transceivers have their transmitting antenna along the longest axis of the transceiver, that means a lot of transceivers have their antenna running parallel to ground/across your body, as your standing.

I forget the exact number, but most avalanche burial victims are buried either face up or face down. This means that when buried their transmitting antenna is positioned in a vertical orientation, because they have their transceiver on their side. Vertical transmitting orientations are the more difficult transceiver orientation to pinpoint on, especially if it is a deep burial.

Ortovox’s “Smart Transmitter Technology” (on the 3+ and S1+ models) means the transceiver changes to which antenna would be best to NOT have a vertical orientation signal. It’s a nice feature. I’m not sure if other manufactures have followed with the same idea.
    I have always said that when practicing with your transceiver, do several vertical orientation searches. They can really confuse the searcher. There are several tricks to realizing your searching for a vertical transmitting transceiver.

RF Pants pocket (zipper closure) with about 2' added to the tether strap in case I have to crawl into a hole with a beacon held at arms length overhead. Tether attaches to a strap that runs through the pocket interior and inside the pants and loops through my pants belt for additional security (in case I get my pants torn off) .

Works for me

Put me in the thunder thighs camp. Putting a beacon in my pants is constricting.

If you find a harness uncomfortable try adjusting higher/tighter. I think a lot of people wear them low enough that they bounce around and get in the way when they bend over.

How many pants people also use a stretchy arcade belt?
    Pretty easy for your beacon to end up at your ankles.

I chest harness. Just the way I was raised I guess.
    I also ride it low, below the rib cage to avoid breaking a rib and also to not fight whatever is in my chest pocket.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    I'm not aware of a chest harness being ripped off in an avalanche (not one where the person survived anyway). .
    I have. Avalanche occurred while skinning (so no layers on top of the beacon), and the survivor was buried chest deep and unharmed. Chest harness was shredded and the beacon was hanging by a thread around his ski boot. Wouldn't have happened had the beacon been in a pants pocket.

End of the day- whatever works for you and don't forget to check.

Prince Albert! If the beacon gets torn off you may.... [insert conclusion here]

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    I have. Avalanche occurred while skinning (so no layers on top of the beacon), and the survivor was buried chest deep and unharmed. Chest harness was shredded and the beacon was hanging by a thread around his ski boot. Wouldn't have happened had the beacon been in a pants pocket.

End of the day- whatever works for you and don't forget to check.
    Skinning up without a jacket over the transceiver is the difficult thing.

Was the guy skinning up, without a jacket on?
    Of course. It was warm. Seems to me that beacons are outside all layers the majority of the time while ascending. It's one of many reasons I've converted to beacon in the pocket.

Sent from my VS996 using TGR Forums mobile app

I'm a harness guy. It kind sucks at first, but you get used to it.

You think your phone really messes with it if it's in airplane mode? Sorry, different thread?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.