Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    As far as I know Homerus americanus is not farm raised outside of some seed lobster programs. Smallest legal size in Maine called Chicks and about a pound take on average 7 years to reach that point. Friend's dad was a lobsterman on Long Island NY. She tells me there are no more lobsterman left down there. Maine will get real ugly if the lobster industry crashes. Been a good provider for a long time, but nature lately ......

Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night? Damn dude, you know lobstah.
    crab in my shoe mouth

There's no lobsters left in Long Island Sound, literally. Been a lot of speculation they killed them off with pesticide runoff when West Nile Disease came around. Some talk that there may be a small comeback starting but it's a comeback from essentially zero. Other people say climate change is the culprit. I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    here's a lobster roll from probably the most famous lobster roll joint in Maine, Reds Eats. Not a table cloth joint at all. It's how we do.

And I dunno about Texas toast. they're hot dog rolls. Nissen probably the best known.

My areas of expertise are not vast but lobster rolls are in my wheelhouse.
    Word
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

And I dunno about Texas toast. they're hot dog rolls. Nissen probably the best known.

I wasn't questioning The Ice. I was detailing my personal disappointments, which I'm still fucking bitter about let me tell you...

My areas of expertise are not vast but lobster rolls are in my wheelhouse.

Respect for your lobster rolliness.

Pepperidge Farm remembers:

here's a lobster roll from probably the most famous lobster roll joint in Maine, Reds Eats. Not a table cloth joint at all. It's how we do.

Hate Red's I drive by it each direction 4 or 5 times a month. The traffic congestion that place generates as people do the slow walk across the street in the summer can back traffic up 15 or 20 minutes

Yeah there's nothing too amazing about that place anyways but it got featured on the Food Channel and away they went.

For better or worse, one of the best tasting lobster rolls I've had is from a chain. Small portion size for the price but they taste good.

https://www.lukeslobster.com/

My favorite lobster shacks are on a pier in a small harbor where you sit at picnic tables and look at the boats. Quite a few scattered all over the coast.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    and bring them to me with lots of butter
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Ha, beat me to it. Smother them in butter!
    I recall when my dad would take us to what was called the Whalers Wharf in Toronto. That small candle lit container of glorious melted butter was fringin awesome. Always had the lobster.
    I'm having a Pavlovian response right now.

Now I'm allergic to them but once a year I'm take the punishment and eat a few.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Hate Red's I drive by it each direction 4 or 5 times a month. The traffic congestion that place generates as people do the slow walk across the street in the summer can back traffic up 15 or 20 minutes
    Prettiest little fucking traffic jam in america. At least they dont still have some freshly minted traffic cop doing his good natured best to make it worse anymore.

I was born in maine, spent summers on the coast up there, and worked at a lobster co-op and i still dont understand the fascination with it. At its best it doesn't taste as good as alot of other seafood, it's a novelty. A bottom dwelling, shit eating novelty.

Name:  2018-08-31_03-50-05.jpeg
Views: 263
Size:  62.0 KB

Sent from my SM-N950U using TGR Forums mobile app

I'm a bigger scallop guy than lobster. New Bedford is next door and that's where something like 75% of the country's scallop catch is brought in. Had em last night actually, pan seared served with a fresh local corn and tomato salsa I made.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Not a huge fan of bug meat
    This

I'm not fond of dismembering my dinner
    and this.

Never understood why lobster is regarded as so special.

Good crab or shrimp is far better IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

So, again when you get a lobster roll or other pre cut, lobster dish how can you be sure it's really a Maine Lobster and not a Rock Lobster.. i.e. the clawless kind that's more like a shrimp and crab and lobster mutant??

They're raising tons of those on farms now..

Red Lobster Builds World’s Biggest Lobster Farm to Raise Things That Aren’t Really Lobsters

If I'm paying for "lobster" I want to see it come to my table with the claws and tail all still attached together and crack it open myself to be sure I'm getting "Lobster"..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    This

and this.

Never understood why lobster is regarded as so special.

Good crab or shrimp is far better IMO.
    I think there was an intentional marketing campaign decades ago to market the sea bugs as upscale cuisine.

I enjoy the sea bugs. My wife, whose family has been around Salem for ages, doesn't care for them. I guess the novelty wears off.

I guess don't go to Red Lobster?

A woman I know went to Red Lobster nd got the fried clam strips to go, she ate one out of the bag at a light on the way home and started to choke. She got out of the car and staggered around clutching her neck gasping for air. The light changed and everyone pulled away thinking she was crazy I guess. Said she thought she was gonna die right there but then a car pulled up and figured it out and gave her the Heimlich and she survived.

So don't go to Red Lobster.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    My favorite lobster shacks are on a pier in a small harbor where you sit at picnic tables and look at the boats. Quite a few scattered all over the coast.
    Was just back here...Name:  view-from-deck.jpeg
Views: 243
Size:  64.6 KB

Sent from my SM-N950U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    If I'm paying for "lobster" I want to see it come to my table with the claws and tail all still attached together and crack it open myself to be sure I'm getting "Lobster"..
    And with a hamburger you'd like to see the hoofs and horns?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I think there was an intentional marketing campaign decades ago to market the sea bugs as upscale cuisine..
    Yep I'm sure historically they were, like oysters, a food of the peasant class.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    red nose and big shoes normally suffices.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Yep I'm sure historically they were, like oysters, a food of the peasant class.
    https://gizmodo.com/lobsters-were-on...ner-1612356919

Yep.

My own peasant people are very fond of battered scampi (Norwegian crab) and chips from the chippy, eaten out of the paper. Maybe with a side of mushy peas.

No Lobsta in the Sound? I have been gone a long time. This place was one of the best parts about summer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4013.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	347.5 KB 
ID:	245877

Do yourself a favor and skip Barnacle Billy's in Perkins Cove. Over-hyped for the tourons. George HW Bush sure liked to motor down there in his boat, though. It was funny to watch when the ex-presidential circus came to town. My great aunt used to own that building long before I was born.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I'm OK with hamburger and hot dogs being ground up junk including pink slime.. I'm not paying NY strip or fillet prices for hamburger.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

4 summers I worked in Deer Isle ME, up there not too far from Bar Harbor, around 1980. My boss was a local, about 60 at the time, he talked about how when he was a kid after big storms they picked lobsters off the beach and filled barrels with them and sold them for a penny a pound to be ground up for fertilizer. I guess that was around 1930 or so. Times have changed.