Portsmouth, NH in Mid Oct

Guide recommendations, DIY options, etc...looking for any experience in that area. Local fly shop sites all seem to indicate everything shuts off by end of Sept. May have to resort to golf and beers.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yeah its a tad late for NH, still some stuff going on in Mass then. when in Oct?

Weather gets tricky and unpredictable the later we get into fall

Drive up to Ogunquit and give my buddy a call. Guaranteed fish..

https://www.saltylewerfishing.com/

Ya, forgot....shoot Jim email or give him a call at their website... Eldredge Bros flyshop. The guys in the middle of southern Maine flyfishing, however it is really late...but leave it to minds larger than mine, in State Gov't, for keeping some waters open year-round. Get every dollar they can.
    Last edited by steved; 09-25-2018 at 09:44 AM.

Fishing is pretty meh by then, was there late last Fall. The drinking however was great, tons of good microbrews close by. My in laws are 10 mins from Eldridge Bros and those guys have never been especially helpful...YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Fishing is pretty meh by then, was there late last Fall.....
    But at least anyone will have better luck than same time last year = southern half of state was still in a drought...but yeah, with just brooktrout for the majority of the species around, finding any runs of either browns or rainbows is pretty thin in the NE. NYS's tributaries of Lake Ontario and Champlain are the best for late season that I know of...
    EDIT: If you're ever in the vicinity of Moosehead the East Outlet is open thru the end of October.
    Moosehead had a bumper crop of smelt this last spring...on = healthy, fat landlocks and brooktrout everywhere....but damn, I was cussing Maine IF&W forty years ago for not introducing some native browns in both the cold lakes, rivers and streams....and I haven't stopped. Still looking for a meeting or two to attend and give em' my $.02. A bunch of old fuddie duddies with about as much ambition to improve things in life as the town drunk, only Maine's budget is about equal with Woolworths...
    Last edited by steved; 12-06-2018 at 05:39 PM.