BASE GOUGE in my SN108s! Time for a new pair??

Hey all,

So after a pretty nasty accident last January (Stage II calf tear), I'm wondering if I should replace the skis that were involved. I landed on some exposed rock - leaving a large gouge in the base beneath the feet, but narrowly avoiding a core shot. Had the ski repaired, but the same ski seems to 'dive' more than the other. Yeah, could be the leg - but I'm well healed and probably in better shape than before.

Anyway, can we weigh in on when we've decided to give up a wounded pair of skis, and why?

Context: I've been skiing since I was 3yo. Used to do a lot of downhill racing, and now just like to hit big bowls and trees in the PNW, with a few supersonic groomers to cool down. The skis in question are Line Supernatural 108s.

Thanks! And though I searched for something like this, would be glad to just read another thread with some helpful info.

They sound ruined. You can send them to me for the cost of shipping and I'll figure out a way to repurpose them.

I like you. Because you are a silly.

Thought this post might go sideways.

But the question is a good one: When are skis too darned wrecked to set aside? Of course, blown edges and big delams and those sorts of things would make any of us hit the eject...there's a grey area that could be better defined.

Quote Originally Posted by kramsmad View Post
    there's a grey area that could be better defined.
    Maybe....but you're talking about replacing a ski that had a base gauge, not even a core shot. You're not in the gray area. The gray area is many core shots, or not enough edge left for a proper grind, or 300+ days so the skis might have lost their pop.

I'm not sure how you could possibly notice "diving" from a deepish base gauge, but if you really can notice it and it's impacting your ability to have fun, then might as well replace them. Have you tried switching the ski to the other leg to see if it's really the ski? Have you tried lending them to your friends and not telling them which is messed up to see if they can tell a difference? Frankly, it's probably in your head. But heck, if you think the skis are bad luck or somehow contributed to your fall, then by all means replace them.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Ummmm, yeah, have you tried swapping left and right to see if it’s the ski or the knee?

It is possible to bend or break skis with rocks. But gouges never killed a good ski.
    . . .

lulz. throw some ptex in there fer chrissakes and be done with it. if one ski is diving, lay them both flat with brakes stowed and see if you puta subtle bend in the ski when you had your accident. such things can be bent back but it's a PIA. coreshots are not grounds for getting rid of a ski.

Replace? Hasn't TGR SOP boiled down to n=n+1?

I.e. moar is betterer!

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Ummmm, yeah, have you tried swapping left and right to see if it’s the ski or the knee?
    +1

SN108s are my daily driver, and the tail on one of them has a major delam. Last few inches of the tail are curled up. It's been acting like an air brake on a jet - the increased surface drag is seriously slowing down my skiing (the damn things are red too...). Want to sell me your pair?

I’ll sell you a pair of once mounted 184cm supernaturals for cheep. Had plenty of use but no edge or core shots. Pm me if you like.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by kramsmad View Post
    Hey all,

So after a pretty nasty accident last January (Stage II calf tear), I'm wondering if I should replace the skis that were involved. I landed on some exposed rock - leaving a large gouge in the base beneath the feet, but narrowly avoiding a core shot. Had the ski repaired, but the same ski seems to 'dive' more than the other. Yeah, could be the leg - but I'm well healed and probably in better shape than before.

Anyway, can we weigh in on when we've decided to give up a wounded pair of skis, and why?

Context: I've been skiing since I was 3yo. Used to do a lot of downhill racing, and now just like to hit big bowls and trees in the PNW, with a few supersonic groomers to cool down. The skis in question are Line Supernatural 108s.

Thanks! And though I searched for something like this, would be glad to just read another thread with some helpful info.
    Can you notice a difference between the skis when you hand flex them? There's a chance that the impact was hard enough to internally damage the ski.

Okay, i think i'm getting a clear picture of this TGR consensus...
    ...I'm just a bit superstitious maybe.
    Definitely will reverse the skis for a double-check, and also having them checked out by my local shop before posting them here for a bucket of laughs plus shipping.