Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What rim? Light Bicycle? 28h

Some of you may have read a recent post of mine about an exploded carbon Enve and lack of warranty (not original owner and didn’t pay even a fraction of retail price, etc)

I’m stuck buying a new rim, and reusing the hub (240s and will last forever).

I was looking at Light Bicycle but there’s an upcharge and delay for 28h.

The rear rim was the one that exploded, but I’m sorta toying with the idea of switching the existing Enve (m60) from the front to the rear, and then getting a wider rim up-front.

Anyone have any thoughts? LB? Other Chinese carbon? Or just forget carbon all together (but I do like it)

From what I've seen, carbon + cheap = shit.

I say that acknowledging that your past experience was carbon + expensive = shit. But I've had good luck with enve's, so.... [shrug].

For whatever it's worth, I've had good luck with the ibis rims, and they're not terribly spendy. Pretty wide though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On the other side of things, I got a set of 27.5 carbon wheels 30mm rims with Hope 4 hubs from Light Bicycles for my Rocky Mountain Altitude. When I sold that bike, I put the LB wheels on an Ibis Mojo 3, and have been riding them hard for 2 years now. Granted I am only 135#, but no cracks/ breaks/ issues at all. Full set = less than $1000 with shipping included.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1056.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	245271

I've built up 2 wheelsets with Light Bicycle Rims that have been flawless for thousands of miles. I built up some 29" carbon rims from Nextie that have been good so far. Probably 500 miles or so. Some pretty rough trail and one particularly hard rear wheel case that i was certain crushed it.

https://www.nextie.net/premium-mount...inch-NXT29XM35

I've built the wheels on my trail and DH bikes with LB rims and have zero issues (knock wood) after years of use.
    I would buy them again, no questions.

I've got three mechanic friends who swear by Light Bicycle carbon rims, put them on all their own bikes, no issues.

I don’t run carbon rims, so I can only give second-hand experience.

The fastest guy I ride with uses a LB rear rim. He loves it. He has destroyed at least two Minion DHF 2-ply tires by smashing into stuff hard enough to cut the tire against the rim. The rim is, somehow, surviving. I think he should run more than 23 psi, but I can barely keep him in sight on anything pointed down, so what do I know?
    U.P.: up

I have a set of Light’s built up with 240’s and DT bladed spokes on my gravel rig. Running tubeless g-one 38’s. I’ve had rim strikes both front and rear, the class 4 roads in VT or class 6 in NH are basically dried creek beds, tons of rock and ledge. I’ve got a year on them with no damage.
    They work for me.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Stan's Arch MK3 front and rear, commonly available in 28H. Or DT XM421. Or any number of unreasonably wide options.

Sell the remaining Enve rim on ebay to cover the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by stradissimo View Post
    The fastest guy I ride with uses a LB rear rim. He loves it. He has destroyed at least two Minion DHF 2-ply tires by smashing into stuff hard enough to cut the tire against the rim. The rim is, somehow, surviving. I think he should run more than 23 psi, but I can barely keep him in sight on anything pointed down, so what do I know?
    That's why a lot of fast guys are switching back to aluminum rims. Stiff carbon rims cut tires. Aluminum dents, which means the tire is more likely to survive.

Also running gen 1 LB 38s for 3 years. I've probably put on around 1500-2000 miles on them. I'm only midweight (around 165) and not riding super rocky stuff, but considering I'm kind of a hack, they're holding up great.

If you're looking for wide aluminum, Colorado Cyclist can get you 28H XM481 rims. I was looking at a set of those for a 29er wheelset.

I'm far harder on my wheels than your average rider, but I've broken 3 LB rims. I actually had one explode in my hand while airing up with a compressor. I'm sure I added a bit too much air, but it wasn't crazy. The rim just disintegrated and shot schrapnel everywhere. It was pretty scary. I've had a couple sets of Enves and they seem superior to the LB stuff. I think carbon rims just aren't right for certain riders. These days I almost always stick with the DT aluminum rims. The EX471 or EX511 if you want wide are incredibly strong and fairly stiff. The weight is also quite reasonable.

I’ve been on one set of LBs since 2013...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I’ve enforced LBs here many times.
    205+ and super happy with mine

I have some DT Swiss 350 hubs that I want to put Chinese carbon rims on,

But they are for 28h and it looks like all Light Bicycle rims are only 32h?!

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    That's why a lot of fast guys are switching back to aluminum rims. Stiff carbon rims cut tires. Aluminum dents, which means the tire is more likely to survive.
    I would rather replace a $50 tire than replace a $75 rim, and then also have to rebuild the wheel. (And spokes if you really roached it).
    Last edited by rideit; 11-10-2018 at 07:03 PM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I would rather replace a $50 tire that replace a $75 rim, and then also have to rebuild the wheel. (And spokes if you really roached it).
    Personally, I'd rather just run an extra 2-3 psi. But most of the guys switching to aluminum care about race results, and a flat tire means a loss.

Fair enough.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

anyone on stans closeout ?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    anyone on stans closeout ?
    I didn't see anything good there. Maybe they all gone.

I was totally wrong about the LB 28h. Woops.

Black Friday sale and 30% off means I’m ready to pull the trigger.

But....

Would you go 28 internal width or 33?
    I’m on a SC Hightower 29er, I tend to be hard on stuff, running DHF-II/DHR combo in 2.4-2.5WT. Maybe an aggressor sometimes.

Never shuttle, most rides tend toward the XC side of things. But i did break an Enve being stupid so there’s that. I like long rides, but a lot of my riding is 1-2 hour after work spins on not-very-technical local trails.

Also...would you get the “AM” build (410g) or the “EN” build (460g +$10)

I’m leaning toward 28mm internal. Probably EN layup but would like to get your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    I was totally wrong about the LB 28h. Woops.

Black Friday sale and 30% off means I’m ready to pull the trigger.

But....

Would you go 28 internal width or 33?
    I’m on a SC Hightower 29er, I tend to be hard on stuff, running DHF-II/DHR combo in 2.4-2.5WT. Maybe an aggressor sometimes.

Never shuttle, most rides tend toward the XC side of things. But i did break an Enve being stupid so there’s that. I like long rides, but a lot of my riding is 1-2 hour after work spins on not-very-technical local trails.

Also...would you get the “AM” build (410g) or the “EN” build (460g +$10)

I’m leaning toward 28mm internal. Probably EN layup but would like to get your input.

If i were you, I'd opt for 28m ID and EN for the rear.

for 50g, get the durability

Not a lot of wiggle room in the HT’s rear triangle for a 33 mm rim with a 2.4/2.5 tire. I’d definitely go 28 mm.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums