Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Let's see ...

Master of great hooks
    Plays every instrument
    Doesn't take himself too seriously

Yup. DG is alright in my book.
    All this. Music doesn't need to be serious and life altering to be worthy. Sometimes it is better when it doesn't try to be all that. I mean the worst thing Grohl could have done would be to try and replicate Kurt Cobain and Nirvana. He was smart enough to know that wasn't going to work. So why not write hooky power-pop songs for the masses to enjoy? And for what they are his songs are a cut above.

And Grohl has a distinct guitar sound that I like, mostly achieved through his use of open chords in his songwriting. His technique is explained here. I like it. Not complicated but it sets the FF apart from the crowd.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/less...r_methods.html

i think itís that crowd pleasingness of trying to write hits that rubs some of us the wrong way. there arenít that many rock bands post nirvana that tried to be a radio friendly hit machine, but foo fighters did it without apology. who else were radio stations going to push? like, radiohead and nin are from the era but after success with early hits like Ďhead like a holeí and Ďcreepí they went entirely the other way, writing more abstract music for their fans.

besides that, why give extra points for playing all the instruments? i mean, heís not miles davis raising a whole genre, merely some affable rich dude with his own studio playing open chords and 2-4 rock drums like cool dads across the country in their garages.

someone post up a deep cut that isnít 20 minutes long cause i donít get the praise.
    .....I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record

http://procatinator.com/?cat=80

Just because it doesn't speak to you doesn't mean it sucks or not worthy of "praise".

It's just music/art for fucks sake. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't, with no rhyme or reason.

Grohl era QOTSA rawks hard.

Iím not sure how his drum heads survived that set.

This thread got me listening to some Foo Fighters intentionally for the first time.

Meh.

Lot's of songs I've heard many times and never really noticed. For a reason. If I was more into this particular sub genre I might dig it, but it certainly doesn't transcend. Grohl seems like a good dude though. That's worth plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Just because it doesn't speak to you doesn't mean it sucks or not worthy of "praise".

It's just music/art for fucks sake. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't, with no rhyme or reason.
    I mean, you started a thread calling him 'the shit', that seems to beg at the very least for some comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Grohl era QOTSA rawks hard.
    Definitely.

I wish Mark Lanegan would do a bit more. His solo stuff is... ok. Screaming Trees were great though.

And yeah, like others have said, I don't think there's any denying that Grohl is a talented guy. I just wish he'd do something a little more interesting with that talent than churn out generic rock.

^^^ agree.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Definitely.

I wish Mark Lanegan would do a bit more. His solo stuff is... ok. Screaming Trees were great though.

And yeah, like others have said, I don't think there's any denying that Grohl is a talented guy. I just wish he'd do something a little more interesting with that talent than churn out generic rock.
    I still listen to Whiskey for the Holy Ghost once in a while, that's a masterpiece...but generally speaking I agree with you about Mark Lanegan's solo work. Saw the Screaming Trees perform at the University Theater on the UM campus in the 90s. Interestingly the warmup band was the Tree People, so it was two tree bands in one night. Great show in a great setting.

But I see a contradiction here. On the one hand you are criticizing Grohl for being a prolific solo artist making hits for a wide fan base, and on the other hand you are criticizing Lanegan for doing pretty much the exact opposite, putting out obscure solo work that is difficult to listen to except for hardcore fans.

You're a tough guy to please.

Maybe he is not listening with in his proper demographic?

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    But I see a contradiction here. On the one hand you are criticizing Grohl for being a prolific solo artist making hits for a wide fan base, and on the other hand you are criticizing Lanegan for doing pretty much the exact opposite, putting out obscure solo work that is difficult to listen to except for hardcore fans.

You're a tough guy to please.
    The issue I have with Mark Lanegan's solo work isn't that it's hard to listen to. It's that he's great, but his backing band is pretty lackluster. Some of that criticism is actually pretty similar to why I dislike the Foo Fighters - the music is just super generic. Lanegan's good enough that I'll still listen to it (whereas Grohl on vocals isn't enough to salvage his generic band). But if Lanegan had a better backing band, he could be producing great music instead of ok music. Take Lanegan's work with QOTSA as an example: good band + Lanegan's vocals = great music.

But yeah, tough to please. When there's a shitload of easily accessible music out there, I get to be picky.

The idea that Grohl's music is "generic" is laughable to anybody who's really familiar with it. Reminds me of the idiots I had to deal with in high school who used to tell me that the punk rock I listened to was "nothing but screaming" and other such comments. I mean if it's generic, it must sound like every other rock band, right? Or something like that? So tell me what other bands the Foo Fighters sound like, or vice versa.

Lanegan has had a hell of a career.

still doing shit

Foo Fighters just don't sound very different to me than every 'rock' radio band from the 90s.

Bush? Everclear? STP? Candlebox? I can't really differentiate it. Kind of like ISBD said, I am familiar with the songs cause they're around, not because of any attachment. I'll stop shitting on this famous rich funny guy though that was in nirvana though.