Page 73 of 175 FirstFirst ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 4354
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_1_3 View Post
    Being classified as a 'snow watcher' in the KQED article today is almost as good as my ca. 2012 interview with the RGJ where I was quoted as being concerned with "fluff management" while skiing the Cooper Spur LOL:
    https://www.kqed.org/science/1936797...ierra-snowpack
    So do you watch the snow as you manage your fluffing?
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Always love your info and charts, Ben! With the average snow level rising every year, I assume snowfall below 500m has become rarer over the years? (I have no data just shitty memory to go off, so I may just be talking out of my ass) If the graph only went back to say 2012, would below 500m events occur even less than 2% of the time?

Internally debating real hard whether to ride Tahoe this weekend from the Bay or try to find a touring buddy in Lassen. I was planning on beating the storm in tomorrow morning and getting out on Sunday. Looks like I might get a window to get out Sunday AM to early afternoon, but if I miss the window and jerries shut down 50 and 80, I might be stuck in Tahoe until Tuesday.

One factor is roads might be a little emptier Sunday with the Super Bowl, so might be higher chance roads are open.

Anyone have any predictions on whether lifts will even spin? I'm guessing Northstar would run lifts since they're pretty wind protected, but I imagine Squaw, Kirkwood, Heavenly, etc. will be shut down.

^^^ Is the incoming storm a sure thing then?
    Plenty of times has been *false hype*
    Once in a while, *over delivers*

Weather forecasts are getting better, it says.
    Next week prolly more fun than this weekend?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

The age old Tahoe storm dilemma...

Plan is to run up tomorrow and ski Saturday (I know, probably not the best day in the storm cycle) and head back. At least one direction should be easy. If I get stuck, well...

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    The age old Tahoe storm dilemma...

Plan is to run up tomorrow and ski Saturday (I know, probably not the best day in the storm cycle) and head back. At least one direction should be easy. If I get stuck, well...
    Stealing this idea! Better work on my “snowed “ in excuse...

And for those wavering.... you don’t know until you go...
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by kimchijajonshim View Post
    Internally debating real hard whether to ride Tahoe this weekend from the Bay or try to find a touring buddy in Lassen. I was planning on beating the storm in tomorrow morning and getting out on Sunday. Looks like I might get a window to get out Sunday AM to early afternoon, but if I miss the window and jerries shut down 50 and 80, I might be stuck in Tahoe until Tuesday.

One factor is roads might be a little emptier Sunday with the Super Bowl, so might be higher chance roads are open.

Anyone have any predictions on whether lifts will even spin? I'm guessing Northstar would run lifts since they're pretty wind protected, but I imagine Squaw, Kirkwood, Heavenly, etc. will be shut down.
    Or you could tour around south shore, get stuck and still be here for the midweek blessing we are about to enjoy.

Also I'm seeing nothing about the storm being a high wind event. The contrary even
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    ^^^ Is the incoming storm a sure thing then?
    Plenty of times has been *false hype*
    Once in a while, *over delivers*

Weather forecasts are getting better, it says.
    Next week prolly more fun than this weekend?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    The storm forecast looks promising, but who knows. That MLK Tuesday-Thursday storm that dropped 4 feet looked super promising it all turned out to be Sierra cement (although the Sunday storm delivered 18" of fresh for MLK riding-- albeit with crowds). From what I heard from friends, storm riding Tuesday was by far the best day of that cycle.

Next week definitely more fun, but I'll be in New York for a work trip. Otherwise I'd just work my ass off through the weekend and play hooky Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Or you could tour around south shore, get stuck and still be here for the midweek blessing we are about to enjoy.

Also I'm seeing nothing about the storm being a high wind event. The contrary even
    Any other week I probably would, but I have a redeye I need to catch Monday night. Looks like if I don't get out Sunday, I might be stuck until Tuesday...

^and that right there is the dream
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

OFFICIAL TAHOE 18/19 STOKE, CONDITIONS, WEATHER THREAD

This is no atmospheric river - it’s certainly not going to be cement. It could underdeliver in precip but quality will be good. If leaving Sunday don’t try to ski first, GTFO by 9am if not earlier. Chances of 80 closing at some point on Sunday I’m putting at 75%. If it was a holiday it would be 95%.

It’s gonna be windy for sure. I’m guessing KT and Red Dog at Squaw, Roundhouse at Alpine. Does Silverado spin in the wind? It’s lower and semi protected.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by pureshred View Post
    We're still talking about housing? BA is talking of SEA LEVEL snow levels and we're still talking about housing?! When was the last time we had a storm this cold? 10/11? Before that even?
    Beyond pumped for next week.
    Surprised no one has pointed to BA for the increase in crowds and powder chasing. A decade ago you needed to know how to track the weather yourself to score powder. Now the 8 millions skiers in the Bat Area just need to read a blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Surprised no one has pointed to BA for the increase in crowds and powder chasing. A decade ago you needed to know how to track the weather yourself to score powder. Now the 8 millions skiers in the Bat Area just need to read a blog.
    The internet ruins everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Hah. Before BA it was Ed Berry's blog, the NWS discussions (both Sacto and Reno), and The Dweeb Report.

In other news, NWS is saying "a dusting down to 1500" while BA says sea level. Either way, it's going to be cold.

Last storm I recall with significant snow to 1500 (and below) was early December 2013. I remember decent accumulations in Meadow Vista and sleet in Penryn.

Last time it snowed to the Sac Valley floor as far South as I-80? I recall snow sticking to the grass in Davis in... Jan-Feb 2002. Could've happened since that I've forgotten though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Back in 2011 I recall the snow line on Mt. Tam was about 700 feet or so. A legit several inches up top (around 2600').

High Pressure skiing stoke...

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    This is no atmospheric river - it’s certainly not going to be cement. It could underdeliver in precip but quality will be good. If leaving Sunday don’t try to ski first, GTFO by 9am if not earlier. Chances of 80 closing at some point on Sunday I’m putting at 75%. If it was a holiday it would be 95%.

It’s gonna be windy for sure. I’m guessing KT and Red Dog at Squaw, Roundhouse at Alpine. Does Silverado spin in the wind? It’s lower and semi protected.
    I would love to ride Sunday AM, but it's a gamble for sure. If I do, no chance it's on North Shore. I would bet money on 80 closing. Spur will definitely close. So it's a matter of whether I trust Heavenly to spin the lifts in the storm and trust 50 to stay open. I can live with it taking me 12 hours to get home if I get consecutive storm pow days, but I need to get home.

Waxed up 3 sets of skis today and put the tracks on the FJ bring on the powder

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8005_crop.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	786.8 KB 
ID:	267552

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Okay........all the Mexican house cleaners who work their asses off to feed their families will have less work.......but other then that, the effect is negligible.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    FIFY

Went out for a short tour looking for corn today. Started too late, laid down a miserable steep skin track with way too many kick turns, didn’t summit and was rewarded with a wet and unsupportable snowpack on the way down. Still worth it.

Went for a nice morning stroll out to castle. Took a little bit longer than normal to get up there but the snow didn’t get too mushy by the time we dropped at noon. Such a fun peak to ski, just wish I had time for more runs.

Name:	Image1548994030.133072.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	283.9 KB 
ID:	267571

Name:	Image1548994042.212365.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	274.3 KB 
ID:	267572

Name:	Image1548994052.155059.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	204.8 KB 
ID:	267573

Quote Originally Posted by B.Gillis View Post
    Went for a nice morning stroll out to castle. Took a little bit longer than normal to get up there but the snow didn’t get too mushy by the time we dropped at noon. Such a fun peak to ski, just wish I had time for more runs.

Name:	Image1548994030.133072.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	283.9 KB 
ID:	267571

Name:	Image1548994042.212365.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	274.3 KB 
ID:	267572

Name:	Image1548994052.155059.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	204.8 KB 
ID:	267573

Nice! Looks like you got some good snow too.

B.Gillis - which Wrens are you on there?

EDIT: Nevermind - those are last year's 108's. That's a lot of ski to drag up there (I have the same skis but custom top sheet and mounted with STH2's) but looks fun once you get to ski down on them.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    FIFY
    The amount of jobs available far exceeds the amount of housing available. Maybe if more housing were available it wouldn't cost so much and locals wouldn't have to work several jobs. Seriously, a ban on short term rentals is needed very much, and not just in Tahoe. If you bought the house thinking you were going to pay for it by running it as a hotel and now you can't afford it, tough shit, sell to someone who can live there, and stay in a fuckin hotel when you want to ski. If it's your primary residence and you wanna rent it out a few weeks a year, fine.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    The amount of jobs available far exceeds the amount of housing available. Maybe if more housing were available it wouldn't cost so much and locals wouldn't have to work several jobs. Seriously, a ban on short term rentals is needed very much, and not just in Tahoe. If you bought the house thinking you were going to pay for it by running it as a hotel and now you can't afford it, tough shit, sell to someone who can live there, and stay in a fuckin hotel when you want to ski. If it's your primary residence and you wanna rent it out a few weeks a year, fine.
    This.

I haven't even been here that long, but I keep hearing about more and more people being forced out of the basin because their landlord decided not to renew the lease and affordable, year-round housing is becoming increasingly scarce.