Page 121 of 175 FirstFirst ... 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,025 of 4354
    Re snow reports, I was just checking SB and thought this was interesting. Didn't know they partnered with the snow lab on their numbers. Probably why theirs actually seems less inflated than others in recent years when you're comparing totals like on BA's charts he puts together.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Bowl
    How do I know Sugar Bowl's Daily Snow Report is accurate?
    Our reports are scientific! At the start of the 2016-17 ski season, scientists at the University of Nevada, Reno and Sugar Bowl partnered to study regional weather and the impacts of climate change in the Northern Sierra by way of installation of three weather stations. The installation provides important weather-related information to the public via the National Weather Service, US Forest Service and Sierra Avalanche Center, and provides us with important and accurate data for use in our daily snow reporting and Ski Patrol operations.

How do you report the snow accumulations, and how often?
    We check and report the snow stakes every 12 hours at 530 AM/PM every day. we have four separate snow stakes, a 12 hour total, a 24 hour total, a system dump and a base depth reading. The 12 and 24 hour stakes are cleared respectively at those times, the system dump is cleared once that storm cycle has passed, which can sometimes be upwards of a week. For measurements posted to the Sugar Bowl website, we utilize the 12 hour stakes only, as snow settles throughout the day on the 24 hour and storm stakes.

Where are the snow stakes located at Sugar Bowl?
    We have two different locations for our stake readings. One is near the base of Disney at roughly 6950ft, and the other is on Mt. Lincoln, roughly 750 feet from the top at about 7,600 ft. we do not measure on the ridge because snow stakes need to be in a flat spot that is not greatly affected by the sun and wind.

Who reads and reports the stake numbers at Sugar Bowl?
    We have two snow reporters on site; they take turns every morning to ensure the snow reports are sent out by 6AM. You can read their daily "Snow Reporter's Notes" on our conditions page of the site. These same numbers are used by our Ski Patrol plus provided to Sierra Avalanche Center, National Weather Service, US Forest Service and other agencies for study and analysis.

Do you artificially inflate your snow totals?
    No. To ensure complete accuracy, we double and triple check our totals every morning. We record what we see on the stakes, no more, no less. Even if there is high-wind and we know the snow has blown off the stake we only report what we see. If there is ever a question, we will consult with Ski Patrol to make sure they are seeing the same numbers.

Why are your totals different than nearby resorts?
    Weather patterns vary greatly in the region. The Sierra Crest where we sit generally receives the most snowfall thanks to orographic lifting, where an air mass is forced from a low elevation to a higher elevation as it moves over rising terrain. As the air mass gains altitude it quickly cools down, which can increase the relative humidity to 100%, essentially squeezing snow from the clouds. Additionally, all resorts take measurements from different elevations. The elevation where the snow levels begin can drastically impact snow totals on any given storm.

Is there a snow stake camera?
    There are multiple cameras and angles at each station. Our Snow Reporters look at the cameras every morning and afternoon, however, they are not publicly available. If you want to see how much snow is accumulating, check the Powder Cam!

Why don't your snow totals match what I can see on the Powder Cam?
    The Powder Cam sits in a wind-affected area and as such, it is not used for official measurement. Many times the Powder Cam can give you a great sense for the snow depths which is why the infamous boot sits out there to provide context. Also, note that the Sugar Bowl logo in view is 16" tall, so if the logo is buried it's going to be a great day.

Where on the mountain gets the most snow?
    That varies with each storm but in general north-facing forested slopes like the terrain off Crow's Peak, hold the most snow.
    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Tried to play your video but it says unavailable

Quote Originally Posted by pureshred View Post
    Kirkwood yesterday was great, the wind filled in tracked out areas surprisingly well. Gonna brave the crowds tomorrow, hopefully it's not too wet.
    Small vid from yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Creamy at the wood 9-11 am. Zero people. Super wet (like PNW wet) mank thereafter. Good afternoon to get some shit done around the house.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

OFFICIAL TAHOE 18/19 STOKE, CONDITIONS, WEATHER THREAD

Untracked snow at Sugar Bowl was pretty fun for a few hours, but once it got cut up it was heavy as hell and turned into survival skiing.

Pissing rain since noon.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Untracked snow at Sugar Bowl was pretty fun for a few hours, but once it got cut up it was heavy as hell and turned into survival skiing.

Pissing rain since noon.
    Thanks for confirming the family decision made last night. Now back to shoveling mud from driveway and inhaling 2-stroke from the saw in short sleeves. D

Agreed. This is pure ROMO - Relief of missing out

Whatever, had a dozen or so laps that were pretty enjoyable. I’ll take it.

Whatever, had a dozen or so laps that were pretty enjoyable. I’ll take it.
    Is a gone solo, like you, I assume, but this was not a solo day for me, family-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Is a gone solo, like you, I assume, but this was not a solo day for me, family-wise.
    Fair enough. I was supposed to be doing magic carpet laps at TD with my youngest and she wasn’t interested, so relatively speaking it was great skiing some untracked snow before the rain. It’s all about perspective I suppose.

Trick this weekend was to ski as much as possible between 9am and 11am
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

I dunno.
    We got to Rose around 1, and it was mostly fine. Well, except for no viz. And yes, heavily ski'd areas mostly sucked. I

I did get to make a *rookie mistake* tho...
    Dropped into untracked in the Chutes. Made a few nice fast turns. Then there's a bush in my line, so cut right a bit to avoid it...
    Boom! Tomahawk City!
    Cinders saw. Says I turned into my own wet snow sluff.
    doh!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

^^^^I can imagine you turning into a snow ball, gaining speed headed down hill, and taking out a bunch of people queuing for the lift. That would be insane.

Glad I made the call to stick with the family this weekend. Might take a day next weekend. In a drought for available ski days until late March. Bummer the sea surface is so sick. At least e are getting more snow and setting up for a great May and June when my schedule opens up a bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GPTempDownload 2.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	272424

Name:	GPTempDownload.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	272425

One of the least crowded "pow day" Fridays at Alpine I've experienced in a while. Snow was fast and buffed. Couple shots of my brother on our last lap off Sherwood finding the last bits of untouched low angle before trying to keep speed for the cat track (snowboarding sucks). The south face bowl was awesome in the morning, lots of people riding the waves and catching air off wind lips. Everything but Scott and Lakeview (And ABC of course) were spinning... Scott face sure looked tasty... did anyone get some of that this weekend?

Saturday at Northstar wasn’t great. First couple hours in the morning were fun, but the snow got super wet and sticky after lunch.

However, Heavenly was awesome today. Zero lines, lots of untracked 8+ inches off sky and palisades. Snow was heavy but not really wet, really fun and surfy. Sleeper pow day for sure. Even got some really nice turns in Mott Canyon, but it was a lot heavier there, so after a couple runs it was tracked out and not as much fun. Everything on the lower half of the mountain was pretty brutal, but upper half was sweet.

Very high quality pow day

Quote Originally Posted by kungpow View Post
    Scott face sure looked tasty... did anyone get some of that this weekend?
    Yup, a friend and I hit it Saturday morning. Was fun hot pow that was great for jumping off of stuff.

Alpine was surprisingly awesome today. The hordes of humanity seem to not be skiing anymore. No traffic, no lines, lotsa fresh. Gotta love March!

Representative:

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Yup, a friend and I hit it Saturday morning. Was fun hot pow that was great for jumping off of stuff.
    Remind me where Scott face is? Curious since Scott chute was blocked off Saturday for the freeride event.

Or are we just taking Promised Land, etc? Caught that right after it opened and it was pretty nice.

Since it wasn’t open I was mostly just taking about the whole face you can see from the front, so the chute and stuff lookers right into the trees as well all looked so filled in and awesome. I’m sure promised land was great. If Scott was open Friday it woulda been a real gem of a day. I wasn’t aware there was a comp on the chute, that’s a cool little venue.

Remind me where Scott face is? Curious since Scott chute was blocked off Saturday for the freeride event.

Or are we just taking Promised Land, etc? Caught that right after it opened and it was pretty nice.
    I could be wrong in what it's named, but we were skiing between Scott Chute and Promised Land (if you are going by the trail map names)

Sounds like you were skiing promised land. That name covers a lot of area, not just the line on the map

Quote Originally Posted by MashedPotatoes View Post
    nice vid pureshred! great day for st8lines yesterday being so buffed out and smooth. waterfall zone has multiple options, we skied many of the same lines

skiing is like sex. unless I'm actively doing it I'm prettty much thinking about the next time I get to do it. got 3 laps on the backside yesterday before it was closed for wind and it was really good with Treemans being the highlight of the day. Thanks to the two dudes who pointed us over there from the bottom.
    Great skiing with you! Mashed Potatoes rips.

Name:	Image from iOS (1).jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	1,022.8 KB 
ID:	272467

Name:	Image from iOS (2).jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	688.6 KB 
ID:	272468

https://www.sierrasun.com/news/local...t-its-resorts/

"At Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, work will replace the Hot Wheels lift at Alpine Meadows with a new high-speed quad with an extended second leg to the ridge, granting skiers and riders quicker access to the Alpine and Sherwood areas, Alterra announced. New surface lifts at High Camp at Squaw Valley will be geared to improve connectivity with High Camp facilities and enhance the beginner experience."

Finally after years of rumors. Should be a huge improvement at Alpine in general, but especially on storm days when Summit can't open. Mid station should be convenient as well for Art's laps, etc. even though a lot of us will lose one of our current stashes.

Yeah... good and bad news. When Scott line is blown out past the Chalet on weekends it's nice to take Hot Wheels and then scoot to the Sherwood cat track...

But on pow days when Summit is getting backed up before opening it would be a nice option instead of Roundhouse which is usually empty when they are trying to open Summit at 9.

New lifts are fun regardless IMO. Gotta remember mid-week pow days are where it's at, and this will make power lapping 9-noon a different experience.

Hard pass on hot wheels extension. Arts and expert will no longer be a nice stash as will plenty of others. It will also screw hotwheels as a nice long lap for beginners/low intermediates

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Hard pass on hot wheels extension. Arts and expert will no longer be a nice stash as will plenty of others. It will also screw hotwheels as a nice long lap for beginners/low intermediates
    Some more info from the article:

"A new high-speed detachable quad chairlift will replace the existing Hot Wheels triple chair, adding a mid-station at the current terminus and a 1,300-foot extension up to the east ridge of Ward Peak, landing between Art's Knob and the top terminal of Sherwood Express.

A total ride time of about five minutes will give skiers and riders direct access from the base area to both the Alpine and Sherwood sides of the ski area. The new express chairlift will be a four-minute ride from the Alpine Meadows base area to the mid-station, providing convenient access to some of the area's best low-intermediate terrain."

I def agree that some of the stashes will get hit, but I still think it will be an overall nice improvement. I know not everyone has the luxury of skiing week days (myself included) but I feel like this would definitley be great for mid-week days. I've given up on weekends.