Page 96 of 175 FirstFirst ... 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 ... LastLast
Results 2,376 to 2,400 of 4354
    Any reasonably recently built house should be able to handle the snow load so far. Ours was built in 76. In the early 90's we had the biggest snow year in Truckee since I've been here (89). (Not the biggest year on the summit but more big cold storms and no rain to speak of at 6K. We had 6 feet of snow on our roof--we did shovel (back then we could do it) but I don't think we needed to. All the sliding windows still worked fine.
    Our deck is way overspanned--17 ft 4x8's on 2 foot centers, some of them supported at the house end only by pocket holes in the T111 siding. I used to shovel it, then I hung a plumb bob from one of the joists about a 1/4 above the ground. I decided to shovel if the plumb bob touched the ground. It's never happened. I do shovel down to the deck railing so I can see out the front windows.

I have heard of a handful of roof collapses over the years--mostly commercial buildings. Given that a lot of houses here are sporadically occupied, that most are too high and roofs are too steep for owners to shovel, and that there's no one to shovel if you wanted to, I think that speaks well of the building codes.* But do keep an eye on windows and doors opening and closing smoothly.

OFFICIAL TAHOE 18/19 STOKE, CONDITIONS, WEATHER THREAD

The heavy roof snow load will become a very big problem with the older structures if there is an earthquake.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Thanks for the SWAF offer, but I get a $82 ticket with my KW pass. Hoping to beat that price.

I'm around through the 22nd. Need to be in San Jose to pick the family up from the airport that evening. If you feel up for a backside tour after getting off the plane, I'm up for it. All my regular side country tour partners have fled Vail.
    I'd tour with you, buddy, if you skied on the Norfside.

I have 50% vouchers (not sure what that ends up being in terms of $$$ you have to pay...hit me up earlier in the season next time! I already traded my full comps for Squaw/Alpine comps... )

On the snow report front, it was dumping nicely here in T/D from about 3 am until noonish (i.e big, soft flakes) so much that I was thinking about how awesome tomorrow was going to be...then after lunch it turned to heavy snain and my imagination got a jolt of reality. Huge puddle of slush at the bottom of my drive now.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    The heavy roof snow load will become a very big problem with the older structures if there is an earthquake.
    No kidding. An architect friend came to visit. The first words out of his mouth: "You have no shear wall." I carry earthquake insurance, FWIW. The houses that will survive an earthquake with a big snow load are a lot newer than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    No kidding. An architect friend came to visit. The first words out of his mouth: "You have no shear wall." I carry earthquake insurance, FWIW. The houses that will survive an earthquake with a big snow load are a lot newer than mine.
    Yep.

There’s a reason why the old school in tahoe city does not allow snow to accumulate on its roof. They were getting $$ to retrofit the gym, if I remember correctly. Hopefully that’s done or will be done soon.

^^ Nice!

Raining over Echo Summit at 11:15 PM. Pissed rain the entire drive from SF.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    I'd tour with you, buddy, if you skied on the Norfside.

Ya know, last time we toured together was at VA Lakes. So not really north side.

Who knows, maybe I'll get north this next week, but imagine you have a busy work week ahead. Let me know if there are days you have off.

I'm gonna see if I can get a free Squaw tix by test driving a truck. If that works out, I'll be in the neighborhood. 666's edit above makes me want that to work out.

Not let is get cold.

As in, VA Lakes 9 friggin years ago???

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Holy hell on last night’s storm in SF. Thunder, house shaking, shit flying around...still really warm out though.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Holy hell on last night’s storm in SF. Thunder, house shaking, shit flying around...still really warm out though.
    Pretty much the same in Truckee, and by the same I mean it pissed rain for 12 straight hours.

what a mess............sigh

Temps are starting to crash at 7000 feet in alpine meadows.

sweet virginia.

ski boots stolen out of my sf garage last night, who's got two thumbs and not skiing this weekend?

<----

probably for the best, I don't think I have it in me to make the pilgrimage this weekend. With 88 likely closed forever, it's tough to get there from here #isolationevent

Name:  IMG951756.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  87.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    sweet virginia.

ski boots stolen out of my sf garage last night, who's got two thumbs and not skiing this weekend?

<----

probably for the best, I don't think I have it in me to make the pilgrimage this weekend. With 88 likely closed forever, it's tough to get there from here #isolationevent

Name:  IMG951756.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  87.5 KB
    Sorry to hear that. That’s messed up as skis are easier to replace than ski boots.

Wtf , who steals ski boots?! Anything else taken? Maybe take a stroll through BV, maybe you'll find them disgarded or on some homeless dude trying to hobble down to the haight?

And now heavily snowing at 6500 in Alpine

Changed to snow at 6300 in Kings Beach.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Lots of closed resorts today. No surprise. Lightening and winds.
    To my knowledge: Mt.Rose, Kirkwood, Heavenly and Norrhstar are Shut.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

I did a quick walk thru of the park which is right outside my front door, but it was dark and windy and the wind was absolutely ripping through the tree branches. Every storm a few trees come down in that park, and I didn't like my odds at the moment. I'll go on a more intense search this evening now that it's settled down.

SF crackheads will steal anything not bolted down. wtf are they going to do with my custom orthotics?

It got all quiet at my place so I just looked outside. Dumping snow in Galena at 6000 ft.

^^ Highlight of the day before my doc gave me today my MRI results from a crash back on Xmas day. Blown ACL, meniscus tears on both sides of the knee and cartilage damage. Surprised I’ve still been able to ski (at a dialed back level)

At 11:30 am the snowline was at woodfords heading up 88, dumping hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^dood. Sorry to hear that. Vibes.

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    I did a quick walk thru of the park which is right outside my front door, but it was dark and windy and the wind was absolutely ripping through the tree branches. Every storm a few trees come down in that park, and I didn't like my odds at the moment. I'll go on a more intense search this evening now that it's settled down.

SF crackheads will steal anything not bolted down. wtf are they going to do with my custom orthotics?
    At our meth heads down here don’t bother going out on stormy nights. That sucks man. Probably a good of weekend as any to skip. Holiday and road closures. My window begins Sunday at 8AM. Will see what roads are open then.

Woof. Bad news TahoeBC. Take care of yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

best bet is to head straight to carson pass and tour
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.