Page 161 of 175 FirstFirst ... 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,025 of 4365
    Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Or somebody who's been bitten before or simply somebody that doesn't like or feel comfortable around unknown dogs. Not everybody is a dog person and not everyone knows or wants to deal with somebody else's dogs...

My friend had a very sweet but very large and very strong labrador he stopped hiking with because the dog was not the greatest of "greeters" on the trail.
    as the guy who had to have his finger surgically repaired due to a "friendly" dog greeting I can agree with this - I'm not really that into dogs - I don't like skiing with dogs

I'll be in SLT and Truckee this weekend - CP, HV and SV/AM

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    Lighten up Francis. Obviously a cat person who lives in the city. My dog goes up to people all the time. Only an uptight asshole would have a problem with a dog coming up to them to say hi.
    I love dogs. I have three. I don't live in a city, I live in a hick town. Not a cat person at all- don't have one. I have a scar on my right leg from a dog that bit me on a mountain bike trail. Just last summer I was chased twice buy pit bulls on my local bike trail. When my kid was 3 a dog came to "say hi" and attacked. My boot in the dogs face saved him. Fuck you.

Well behaved dogs approaching me when I am making gestures that indicate I want to greet it- and the owner allowing it to is one thing. A loose dog just randomly running up to people is an asshole dog owner.

The dogs rarely if ever go up to people when we're on walks. They just don't care about people except when whiskey sees someone going fast. If I had seen it happening I would have called him, but it was above the rollover so I didn't see it happening.
    gimpy if you like I can get you some antibiotics. Topical for sure OTC, and I just got out of surgery and may be able to get pills at the doc today. Let me know. And the reason I asked about your pants at the scene is I was going to offer to replace them or repair them. No offense, but then I saw your pants.
    Also, like you said I need to own it. That's what I meant by when I said I didn't care that people know it's me. I'm trying to own it.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    Then there's the unspoken aspect of putting dogs in avy danger and I never see anyone strapping beacons to them. If I did ever take my dog out in serious powder I'd definitely strap a pack on him and throw a beacon in there (most ppl have old, spare beacons laying around).
    Don't do this! If you're going to put a beacon on your dog, use a pet beacon (like the Pieps TX600) that transmits on a different frequency, and get a transceiver that receives on that frequency (again, Pieps Pro or DSP Pro or the equivalent BD). In a multiple burial situation you don't want someone digging out a pet when there are still people buried (which could include you).

Not to hijack this doggie talk....I’ve had good and bad experiences with friends dogs on the trail....

I’m coming into Reno tomorrow and would like to hit Squaw (not bringing touring sticks) Friday, Saturday and maaaaaybe Sunday. Any comments on conditions? Packing now debating what skis to toss in for the resort....Praxis PJs (100mm) and/or Concepts (117mm).....will prob bring both out of habit though.

Any resort beta would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    The dogs rarely if ever go up to people when we're on walks. They just don't care about people except when whiskey sees someone going fast. If I had seen it happening I would have called him, but it was above the rollover so I didn't see it happening.
    gimpy if you like I can get you some antibiotics. Topical for sure OTC, and I just got out of surgery and may be able to get pills at the doc today. Let me know. And the reason I asked about your pants at the scene is I was going to offer to replace them or repair them. No offense, but then I saw your pants.
    Also, like you said I need to own it. That's what I meant by when I said I didn't care that people know it's me. I'm trying to own it.
    Gimpy may need a shot.

Sadly, owning it probably means a conversation with animal control. What if Whiskey sees a kid "going fast" and it happens again?

When I got bit I made a mistake and protected the dog owner from animal control so as not to burn a friendship. The dog ended up biting some guy in the nuts later on and my friend got sued. Sorry Court, not trying to be a dick here but this experience was searing for me and I kind of vowed I would never be such a pussy about doing the right thing again so I guess that's why I'm up on my soapbox here. I shall say no more..

OFFICIAL TAHOE 18/19 STOKE, CONDITIONS, WEATHER THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by jmars View Post
    I’m coming into Reno tomorrow and would like to hit Squaw (not bringing touring sticks) Friday, Saturday and maaaaaybe Sunday. Any comments on conditions? Packing now debating what skis to toss in for the resort....Praxis PJs (100mm) and/or Concepts (117mm).....will prob bring both out of habit though.

Bring both.
    Skinny skis before break.
    Slush skis after break.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    Bring both.
    Skinny skis before break.
    Slush skis after break.
    Now this is a proper setup for success!
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Mafuggaz best start bringing back the SKI/RIDE stoke or we're gonna have to retitle this thread:

and that would suck...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

I'd just bring the PJs with fresh wax. Get there early too. Without an overnight freeze it melts out quick.

Marginal Freeze last night but the clear night helped things out out at Carson Pass today, needed to be on it early was back in town before 11.

Did you bootpack the whole thing? Crampons needed?

TBC, Good thing you got there early. I dropped in around noon (on my second lap) and saw 6 or 7 skiers behind me. It’s gonna get moguled out soon. Mcski, you can skin up if you go around the sunny side. I prefer to boot up the shady side with crampons. I suppose you could boot up the couloir but that’ll ruin the aesthetics of it.

To say hi.

My half hound is a crotch sniffer. He’s a hundred pounds. It’s his passion.

RIP Booker and sorry for the loss B_

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    My half hound is a crotch sniffer. He’s a hundred pounds. It’s his passion.

RIP Booker and sorry for the loss B_
    Gonna have to go with ‘dog in crotch’ dog gets whippet as lesson. Dog owners can be so whipped. Not even knowing who owns who. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Powcruzer View Post
    Gonna have to go with ‘dog in crotch’ dog gets whippet as lesson. Dog owners can be so whipped. Not even knowing who owns who. Sad.
    If he's quick enough, he gets in a little taste, too.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Did you bootpack the whole thing? Crampons needed?
    Just a short boot up that little knife ridge, no crampons needed, would use them if headed up crescent. skinned everything else used ski crampons once past the lake. Crazy booters every where though

Quote Originally Posted by jmars View Post
    Not to hijack this doggie talk....I’ve had good and bad experiences with friends dogs on the trail....

I was up 10 days ago (Sunday). Overnight low was forecast at 36F in the valley. Similar to this coming Friday night. Lifts ran from 9-4, but open at 8am now.

I skied the upper mountain in the morning. Sunny groomers were great first thing. Just softening up. Emigrant & Siberia. I was over on Granite Chief by 10:30 and everything was plenty soft over there. I assume the groomers under Shirley Lake were decent, and maybe a bit fast at that hour. Skied Sun Bowl around 11:30 and maybe again around 12:15. Money both times. The corn on skiers left and I think on Horse Trails was good after sun bowl. Skied KT 1-4pm and found great snow on the right runs all afternoon. Anything in the sun was good, but the north facing stuff seemed the best. Rock Garden and Portal fun and soft. 75 Chute soft with fairly deep bumps. Nose to right side of Fingers and GS Bowl down toward Oly Lady and zone skiers right of Oly Lady top station were all fun.

I'd go for just the PBJ. While it is soft in the afternoon, KT is pretty bumped up. My preference is a little narrow for bumps.

Will be at Squaw with the freshly 8 years old Saturday.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxN0scGlQzD/ variable conditions in crescent, dropped in approx 12:15 ish? would've waited for the snow to soften up more in the couloir but we had to get back to town. booted up no crampons just an ice axe. awesome corn back to the lake.

Nice turns

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

moving on. thanks to mr toad im all good but thanx for the offer court. i think its not infected but getting course in case.

looks like most of the board was in same zone today. not a great freeze last night but we went into the second layer anyway. good skiing on south at 10:30 and even better on west in pm. creek still bridged well on winnemucca side and just barely on july 4th side. ended up doing full loop so never grabbed beers stashed top winnemucca ridge on way out. in bush top mouth of saddle chute.

2nd layer
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3152.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	281945
    Gettin there

Name:	IMG_3195.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	281947Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3218.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	281948
    3rd n 4th layers

Name:	IMG_3219.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	281949
    West was the best

Name:	IMG_3221.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	281950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3239.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	281951Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3275.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	281952Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3458.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	281953
    Corrie lochen and summer sister zones

Name:	IMG_3460.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	281954Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3461.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	777.0 KB 
ID:	281955

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    moving on.
    moving on, but keeping it with dogs. was this Booker with Buddy?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Thanks for the beta everyone. Looking forward to being out there. I’ll prob take both skis bc I dont know what it’s like to only travel with one...