Page 25 of 175 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    Just turned back to rain

@5000ft

All snow at 6300 feet. 7 inches and counting. Should be good up top if it's not too windy to open.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1443.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	766.4 KB 
ID:	257715

Glad I had a day to acclimate. Feel strong. 0700

3-4" of heavy glop at 5800' on the Reno side of Mt Rose highway. Went out to push a shovel around and clear it fast, quickly decided it was snowblower time.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Agree that the new Squaw parking system sucks. Especially if you like to sneak away from work for a few quick laps, or are the kind of person whose strategy is to show up at the crack o noon and snag a spot at the front of the lot.

However, I’m hopeful that once people get the hang of things -there will be more carpooling and less cars! (Maybe). There’s certainly enough people with Ikon Passes that it shouldn’t be difficult to find friends to drive with.

Also in fantasyland...it would be cool if they took the money earned from the pay lot and flipped it towards improving road infrastructure. But I’m not naive enough to truly believe that will happen.

Really, the ease and essence (if there ever was much) of Squaw/Alpine is gone, and the Ikon pass is the final nail in the encompassing coffin of shitshow. But regardless -the two mountains will always be as gnarly and fun as they ever were (if it snows). Get it while you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokomahonah View Post
    Just go to coffee bar!
    I do go to coffeebar, but they are the only business in the village that is actually benefitting from this. Just say fuck you to all the other businesses because there's a coffee shop near the free lot? Maybe places like Alice's make enough of their business from village guests or at night when parking is not enforced, but I have to imagine this hurts them, no?

I feel like ten 15 minute parking spaces up front would be a helpful addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
    However, I’m hopeful that once people get the hang of things -there will be more carpooling and less cars! (Maybe). There’s certainly enough people with Ikon Passes that it shouldn’t be difficult to find friends to drive with.
    I'm with ya here. Hopeful about some of the transportation projects that are going along with this as well. But in the meantime, saturday pow day clusterfucks are going to register on the Richter Scale.

OFFICIAL TAHOE 18/19 STOKE, CONDITIONS, WEATHER THREAD

Waiting for avy blasting on rose summit. Saw one vehicle parked at incline lake peak. It looks nice out, but I think that’s pretty hopeful. Headed to rose with a blue top/bottom, white helmet and green dynafit boots. Say hi

Edit to add: driving underneath the Gas-X area, I see very little debris but there are definitely small crowns a few inches. So remember that there is a reactive layer out there and we are currently loading more slab on top of it.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Tahosers, I'll be in South Lake this weekend with the familia so time to sneak away will be tight. That said, are there any quicky type tours I could get in in the early mornings in the South Lake area?

Close to a foot at 7,700’ top kbury but Currently sunny n blue skies in the county. No glop at all up there like down here.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Close to a foot at 7,700’ top kbury but Currently sunny n blue skies in the county. No glop at all up there like down here.
    Plenty of sticky icky even out in Glenshire. Me gusta dat base.

To lepistoir's point, SAC's first advisory of the season is HIGH. https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.org/advisory Don't get smoked!
    sproing!

Nuking on the peninsula commute in da bay this morning. Headed your way!

Sick day Kirkwood. Deep! 10 is spinning. It doesn’t look ready to me.

Squaw opened the top. Caught second chair. About a foot or so of snow that is light enough to be fun but wet enough to stick to everything. Game on. More lifts should be spinning tomorrow for sure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8495.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	257747
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

FWIW, congestion pricing actually works where it's been tried. Plenty of studies to back it up.

*But* most of the places where it is in place have good mass transit alternatives. Which Squaw has so far done little on.

We shall see. I'm reserving judgment. Except to say that they should have tried it just on weekends and holidays (when they have this new shuttle running this season) and not screw over weekday skiers when the lot often isn't full anyway.

Stoked for the jumpstart on the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Rose is nice and soft on piste, starting to get scrapey in the middle of the one run. Plenty of rocks in reach of skis off piste. Patrol says they’re working on opening more today but we’ll see. The base is much better at Squaw.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Getting colder. Wetter older snow starting to set up. The fresh is fast and fluffy now. Wind is also doing a number ion exposed steep pitch.

Waiting for a few enterprising ski bums at squaw to charge 10$ to jump in your car and allow you to park in the carpool lot and save 20$. A couple guys could buy a lot of ramen and pbr by doing that for a couple hours on weekends

Quote Originally Posted by South tahoe skier View Post
    Waiting for a few enterprising ski bums at squaw to charge 10$ to jump in your car and allow you to park in the carpool lot and save 20$. A couple guys could buy a lot of ramen and pbr by doing that for a couple hours on weekends
    Needs 3 ski bums: 2 to get in the car and help populate for the POW lot, 1 to drive in behind them and pick them up from the passenger load/unload area. Rinse and repeat.

Bonus points if the driver is driving something old and pollutey, like a 80s diesel truck.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

You guys are giving me ideas on how to pay for my pass...

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Needs 3 ski bums: 2 to get in the car and help populate for the POW lot, 1 to drive in behind them and pick them up from the passenger load/unload area. Rinse and repeat.

Bonus points if the driver is driving something old and pollutey, like a 80s diesel truck.

Quote Originally Posted by South tahoe skier View Post
    hmm...

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    ...10 is spinning. It doesn’t look ready to me.
    Buddy says they are opening the Wall on Saturday.

Sent from my SM-G930P using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

So did anyone see any red flags today?
    If you said no, go review red flags right away.

On the bright side, hitching a ride to Squaw should be a piece of cake.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    So did anyone see any red flags today?
    I didn't see flags of any color today, the visibility was pretty low though